Bone cancer diagnosis and chemo needed, but what kind?

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
barretta

Bone cancer diagnosis and chemo needed, but what kind?

Post by barretta »

Hi - my almost 8 yr. old Rottie was recently diagnosed with bone cancer and already had his right rear leg amputated, is doing really well recovering, but now our vet sent us to a vet oncologist and she has strongly recommended chemotherapy. The problem is there are three choices and I don't know what to do. The first choice is extremely expensive; for 4 treatments of two different types of chemo, it's almost $3500, the second choice which is one type of the earlier two chemo treatments, also 4 treatments around once a month, is about $2750, the third choice is a test going on right now which offers the chemo free, they are testing a anti-diarrhea medication, where some of the dogs will get the meds, and some won't, but they all get the chemo, that is around $1300. I have heard from another source that even the most expensive chemo doesn't mean your dog will have that much more time, but the oncology vet said if I do nothing, he would only live another 4 months or so. I am really saddened by all of this, because Bear is still so full of life, like a young dog actually, I just can't believe this is happening to him. I don't ever want him to suffer, but I want to keep him around and happy for as long as I possibly can.
Please help with any advice from experience on this subject, I really need to make a decision,but I don't know what to do.
Thanks so much!!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Bone cancer diagnosis and chemo needed, but what kind?

Post by Bobbie »

Did your vet give you any information about length of survival with the different chemo protocols?
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
barretta

Post by barretta »

Thanks for the reply. She didn't give any definite lengths of time, she just said it's different with every dog. The more expensive one, would possibly give more time, but really I don't think they even know for sure, and are certainly not going to tell you a definite time span, to cover themselves. It's all very vague.
I'm really trying to find someone who has been through this, so they can tell me firsthand what success rate they have experienced.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

There is a yahoo group for dogs with cancer; I don't remember the name, but you might find some info there.

In my limited experience (from what others did) it seemed like the multiple drug protocols worked better. However, with bone cancer, none work for more than about a year (a few dogs get longer, a few get less.) If it were my dog I'd probably pick the trial partly because its less expensive and partly because at least that way you are helping someone else in the future. When my friend's Golden had amputation and then chemo (I think it was a three-drug protocol but I don't really remember) he survived in good health for just over a year and then developed lung cancer. Bone cancer treatment does give them more good time, usually, and I think most dogs do respond to it.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
janew

Post by janew »

Hello, It is a tough choice. In September of 2009 my sweetie's Anatolian Shepherd (likely a mix @ 146 lbs) at 6 yrs old started limping on his front right leg. We took him to the emergency vet, I have helped at for years & long time friend, he thought it might be strained & put him on rimadyl that helped for awhile. But he x-rayed the leg a month later when it was still bothering him. It looked like osteosarcoma (bone cancer). Rather than biopsy it as it would likely break his leg . We opted to amputate the leg after a an apparently 'clean' chest x-ray. We waited 3 weeks for Tucker to recover from the amputation & adjust. We did the chemo, I wasn't taking him down so I am not sure what he was given but I think we alternated 2 or 3 regimes. He was so ill from it we elected to stop after the 4th treatment (vet would have liked to do 6) because we were afraid the chemo would kill him, he was weak, vomiting, had horrible diarrhea & would not eat anything. In a couple of weeks, he was eating well (grainfree free low carb cancer diet & raw meat) his vomiting & diarrhea resolved. I am happy to say over a year later, he is enjoying life & still okay, eating raw & low carb, grain free diet(cancer diet). The chemo was tough on him, some dogs & alot of cats it is not. But in his case it 'was worth it'. It is not always the case but our 'gamble' is working so far & worth it to us, because even after he was so ill from the chemo, he & we have enjoyed over a year of 'great time' so far & hoping for more. He is still thriving & worth every penny. But there is no guarntee. Our vet said 6 months to 1 yr with chemo...we are enjoying our bonus time, he said very rare to live out out their lifespan. We are hoping Tucker is very rare...
janew

Post by janew »

Hi again, I just reread your intial post...I missed in my 1st read that in the cheaper 'trial' they all get the chemo but only some get the anti-diarrhea meds. You should find out what that chemo regime is & compare it to the others offered. Maybe it as good as the more expensive combo chemo offered at cost, for the study.
jane