adult dog, hasn't poop for days, help advice...

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
tony

adult dog, hasn't poop for days, help advice...

Post by tony »

Hi, i'm tony
sorry if my english bad.
have 3 dogs, and one of them, Hammer, he is now 15+ years old. According to vets, he's been diagnose with bad heart (he have bad heart / weak) since he's at 5 (or so if i recall correctly). He was happy, easily barking to kids / stranger / or to other dogs (including my two others). Also he has gastric problem due to my inconsistency at eating schedule.
About 3 weeks ago he got gastric problem and took him to vet, been give medicine, and getting better. But he starts to limp. After several times go to vets, until now, he's been diagnosed he got cold (/ runny nose / flu ? i can't find better word for this) and it attack his nerve so he's paralyze like now. It doesn't happen at sudden. It was 1 weeks ago he start unable to move / stand.
I have no problem take care of him, give diapers, etc. Problem is... he didn't poop for days, almost 1 week (until now, i type this). He still pee. Vet said it was ok since she said poop only come out when there's leftover of food that has been digest. I gave liquid food: baby instant porridge, and smoothed raw meat (by blender). Has anyone here has similar problem ? any advice ?
Thanks
critters
Founding Member

Re: adult dog, hasn't poop for days, help advice...

Post by critters »

Welcome! I'd try the poop on demand info, but, sadly, the information isn't coming up right now. The page is https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets , in case you can get to it later. You might also see the stuff on the incontinence board (where I got the other link) http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewforum.php?f=5
tony

Post by tony »

thanks for reply,
i also can't view it, but the incontinent things forum, i can take a look there. Will check it.
I just arrived from vet, and she said (finally... or is it eventually ? sigh...) my dog got distemper so his nerve got attacked by it. I'm not too surprise, kinda expecting bad disease happen, since ordinary flu can't be that damaging (my other dog got flu and fully recovered within less than one week).
Be able to walk like before seem impossible. So this is just happen at right time, today i found this forum.
I'll start to learn more bout take care of handicapped pet from everyone here, all of you, who still willing to not give up.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Distemper is NASTY stuff and can cause lots of problems in the neurological system. CarolC might be able to do something about the Wiki pages being down when she comes back.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here is the updated link.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets

(The old link used to be redirected to the updated link and now it is not redirecting. I will let Mark know.)

Welcome, Tony! :D

:group:
janew

Post by janew »

Good luck, Tony, I hope it goes well for Hammer and you!
jane
tony

Post by tony »

hammer just pooped today :D
but bad news is one of my two other dog also got distemper...
vet said it happened because i don't vaccine them. Really look forward for any info regarding distemper, mainly about how long it takes to fully recovered / cured
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Tony,

I don't actually know anything about distemper, but here is a good article about it:

http://sheltermedicine.com/shelter-heal ... -virus-cdv
http://sheltermedicine.com/shelter-health-portal/information-sheets/canine-distemper-virus-cdv wrote: Incubation: Fever spike 3-6 days post-infection, clinical signs 1-4 weeks post-infection (longer incubation more common), CNS signs may appear up to 3 months later with or without preceding signs

Post-recovery shedding: Up to 90 days, but usually < 60 days

This article says the recovery time depends on the type of distemper virus and how strong the immune system is in the dog. It says sometimes the neurological signs show up at the same time as the systemic infection, sometimes neurologicial signs show up 1 to 2 weeks after the systemic infection appears to be gone, and sometimes neurological signs can show up as long as 3 or 4 months after the systemic infection appears to be gone. It also says many cases of distemper are subclinical, which means you do not notice any obvious symptoms in the dog while he has it.

http://www.formatex.info/microbiology2/723-728.pdf

I am very sorry your other dog got sick, too. I hope you can keep the third dog away from the sick ones.
tony

Post by tony »

thank you for the link, carolc

it seems very hard for me right now, since being the single "nurse" for them, the risk to contamination is high (i always remember to use alcohol spray to clean hand after finish with one, before move to others), plus two of my dog here naturally is picky eater (now become worse). Hope all of them recovering faster.

So one of the conclusion for that article seem, hard to see or make sure the exact fully recovered signs / time. Vets told me to vaccine once they get healthy (i stopped vaccine them about 5 years ago). Guess have to wait it for few months.