Dog neck spasms after surgery...

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
mallorymarie88

Dog neck spasms after surgery...

Post by mallorymarie88 »

Hello! My dog Mack (lhasa apso) had the ventral slot procedure done on his neck exactly 2 weeks ago. He had 2 ruptured discs that were causing him extreme pain. He had not lost function of his legs, but he was showing some nerve root pain by lifting up his left paw. They did surgery on him that night and he did great. We got to take him home the next night. We had some issues with him being extremely painful and yelping out in pain, we ended up having to take him back so he could get IV meds. He came home again the next day with a slew of meds, tramadol, methocarbamol, gabapentin, prednisone, and stuff to protect his stomach. I could tell a huge difference he was pretty much pain free for the most part. Still a little slow moving, especially in the morning, but over all a big improvement. He went back yesterday to have his stitches removed and the neuro did all sorts of tests moving his head all around. I was so afraid he was going to scream but he never did. We started decreasing his meds today. He is completely off the tramadol as well as methocarbamol. Those are only as needed. He is still taking the Gabapentin at 100mg every 8 to 12 hours, as well as his prednisone is cut down to 1/8 once a day. He did well yesterday evening, but this morning I had to take him to get his laser treatment, and when I got him out of the car he whined. The doctor told me it would be a very long recovery as far as the pain goes, because the neck is so sensitive. The main reason for this post is because I notice his neck twitching extremely hard. It almost makes his whole head bob sometimes. It was happening at his visit yesterday so I pointed it out to the neuro and he said that it might be something with his nerves, and he reminded me that they did have to go through muscle for the surgery so that spasms could be from that. I am SO worried that he has slipped another disc. I have been so strict with him, carrying him to the bathroom and he NEVER gets out of his cage, just to use the bathroom. But I have read where a dog can slip a disc just walking. I need to hear from someone whose dog has had cervical surgery and what the recovery was like. Is it normal for the dog to be in some pain 2 weeks out? Also do you think the twitching is just part of the healing? I can tell he is still in pain sometimes, especially when he is moving to go to the restroom. Is he just sore? I cant afford another surgery for him. This has already cost me 5 grand... I need some advice please!!! Thanks!
CarolC

Re: Dog neck spasms after surgery...

Post by CarolC »

I haven't been through this, but I would certainly expect him to still be in pain, it's only been 2 weeks. If I were you I would describe what is going on to the vet who prescribed the methocarbomal. It sounds (?) like muscle spasms to me (but I don't know), and that is what that medication is for, maybe he needs to stay on it a while longer. Maybe the vet would let you give him the medication for another day or two just to see if the twitching subsides. If you are out of pills, maybe they would give you a few rather than a whole bottle. I really doubt it is another slipped disk. Frankly, I'm surprised he's off the pain meds already since my dog was on them for a month and her problem wasn't in her neck, which is more sensitive. If you don't mind, would you please post back what you find out, as I would like to know. Thanks.
Mocha

Post by Mocha »

My dog went thru spinal surgery--broken back and ended up with MRSA and paralyzed. She is much better now--4 years later at age 11. It took about 6 months of heavy rehab--of course my situation is different BUT the point is that any kind of surgery, esp spinal I found this about your procedure

"The size of the opening is critical it must be large enough to retrieve the disc but not to large as this can cause destabilization of the cervical spinal column.

The potential complications seen with this procedure are as follows:

1There is always the potential to damage the spinal cord with any spinal cord procedure. This procedure does not allow the surgeon good visualization. Although the chance of this occuring is minimal it is a risk.
2The venous sinus runs on either side of the laminectomy. It is possible to damage the sinus while removing disc material especially if the disc material is adherent to the fragile sinus. If the sinus is damaged significant bleeding will occur. This bleeding may stop or it may hinder the surgery in such a way as to not be able to retrieve all of the disc material. On a rare occasion the bleeding may be so great that a transfusion is required. "

So, my dog's spine collapsed due to the vets(more than 2 missing a small fracture). I would say that though this is worst case, I think the down time for the dog might be much more time than you originally thought. In fact, the longer the better, I am sure your vet is very good, and I am in no way suggesting they did anything wrong. I am a natural medicine practitioner, and wrote up a blog that might give you ideas of what to give your dog to help him heal better. I am not trying to push it on you, so if you are interested let me know, I'll send you a link. In a nut shell, Antiinflammatory foods that can be helpful during the healing include making the pup a large batch of homemade dog food and adding in freshly ground raw tumeric(much more potent than dried). Bone broths offer Bvitamins and extra calcium and other minerals to help speed the healing. I have found that even when my dog was feeling terrible, she couldnt resist bone broth. Herbs that help the nervous system repair better include Wood Betony(Stachys), which I swear is the reason my dog is walking at all. Raw meat also help the dog's recovery. Little bits of high quality meats. This may sound pricey BUT it sounds as if you are in the world of dumping money of which I finally finished paying off 4 years after the incident. To me if a couple of hundred dollars in really high quality herbs and supplements mean less later, I found it worth it. I also found colostrum to help bring her back from the prednisone. Colostrum is a deep immune builder--and I made sure it came from humanely slaughtered cattles so it wasnt tainted. Anyway, I hope this helps you with some ideas.
The hardest thing is to keep the dog immobilized, but in the end it is the only way sometimes. It broke my heart to kennel my dog but that was it. The worst thing I found was just not knowing how much pain my dog was in, she was so stoic. Food is the best remedy. Some grains can actually create more inflammation, so do your research and really make sure the diet is primo while they are in pain. The twitching may be part of the healing process, but sometimes the meds also can cause weird twitching. I think mine, was on several of the ones you mentioned--in fact I don't know what she wasnt on. Certain ones caused muscle twitches all over.Any way thats all for now
Preethi17

Post by Preethi17 »

Dog gets mature they often experience hardness and discomfort triggered from osteoarthritis, combined discomfort or even accidents received as a result of their age. Rub can not only help to ease the muscle tissue, but it can go a long way in reducing discomfort and advertising treatment.
Tboxsears

Post by Tboxsears »

My dachshund, Marley recently had the same ventral slot surgery on his C2, C3 area. He was having the same muscle spasms you spoke of. These started 2 days after surgery. I continued to call K-State Vet hospital where he had the procedure. The vet ended up adding Gabapentin & Methocarbamol in addition to the Rimadyl and codeine he was sent home with. He ended up having to have the same procedure repeated as all of the disc material was not removed. My dog is still crying out when I pick him up or sit him down in the yard to go and use the bathroom. I have been strict with the dosage of medication to cage rest. We are now 1 week and 3 days post Second surgery and he is so distant. He doesn't move and the panic is seen in his eyes when I suggest going to the bathroom is about to kill me. I was curious to know what the diagnosis was with his spasms and how his recovery went. Right now, I am so worried and feel guilty for what this little guy has endured. He definitely not the same dog. Any help would be appreciated.
mallorymarie88

Post by mallorymarie88 »

Hi!! Thanks for all the replies! To the person who just posted about their dog wow! Our stories are the same. He cried out every time I moved him and it was the worst experience. I thought I had made the biggest mistake by getting the surgery for him. I am happy to report, now almost 2 years post op, my dog is a brand new dog. He plays, he is like a puppy and you would NEVER know anything happened to him. Let me tell you, the recovery is discouraging. It told probably 2 months for Mack to recover and I seriously thought I had made a horrible decision. I hated seeing him in so much pain. Mack also had those twitches. Those are probably just his nerves and muscles healing. That was also one of my main concerns with Mack after surgery as well. My biggest advice is keep him medicated. My dog was pretty much a zombie for a month or more. I hand fed him and got up around the clock to give meds. It's was such a difficult time. We tried to slowly take him off his meds a few times but he would become extremely painful again. So we would have to go back on them. It was a battle but eventually he came off all his meds and showed no signs of pain. My advice to you is hang in there. Do exactly what the doctor says and be extremely strict ((sounds like you are)) and be patient! Neck surgery is the worst and the healing process is absolutely terrifying. He will heal. The surgery for Mack was the best decision I ever made. He is happy and normal again. It took a long time and at one point I even thought we might have to put him down because the pain wouldn't go away, but so glad we didn't. Your dog had insanely intense surgery in a very serious place. He is going to be down for a while but he will come around. I know it's so hard to see and go through but there is hope. I never thought Mack would be better and here he is laying beside me rolled on his back getting a belly rub, totally pain free!!
weimmom

Post by weimmom »

My dog, a weimaraner, is almost 2 weeks post ventral slot surgery for nerve compression in the cervical spine. I was not prepared for this post-op course. He came home much worse than when he went in. He initially was on a fentanyl patch and now just on gabapentin and the steroids. He seemed to improve a little over the first week, but all of the sudden he couldn't even stand to get out of the crate so we could carry him outside to the bathroom. I feel like we are totally going backwards and have this awful feeling he won't make it. We were starting to taper steroids, so increased that back up. Seeing the dr tomorrow. It sound like others have had an awful post-op course, and I hope my dog turns the corner, but my hopes are vanishing. Maybe he is in pain and doesn't want to walk? He is a very stoic dog. Maybe the increased steroids need to kick in. I wish they prepared us more of what to expect.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:welcomepink:

It might make it a little easier (possibly on both of you, certainly for you) if you use an x-pen instead of a crate. You can open one side by pulling out the pin that attaches the sections, and walk in and out without having to bend/kneel and reach into a crate to try to get out a dog who is in pain, and you don't know if he may inadvertently snap in self-defense. You're leaning in, feeling all this tension of trying not to hurt him, and he is feeling tension of not wanting to strain his neck plus reacting to your tension etc. Don't know if any of that describes the situation, but I think an open area like an x-pen would be easier. Safer for your back if nothing else. It is hard to get a big dog out of a crate when he is having trouble moving. You can assist him in a more controlled manner if you have better access to him. There are many excellent pain meds for dogs, hopefully they will give him something to keep him more comfortable tomorrow. I would still be in pain if I just had neck surgery 2 weeks ago. You will both be able to relax a little more when he has adequate pain control, and when you have an easier way to get him out of his "crate rest area" for toileting. Sometimes a little fine tuning makes the difference. Here's hoping better days are coming.

:angel:
Tboxsears

Post by Tboxsears »

My dog Marley experienced the same thing in not wanting to walk or move, period! Unfortunately for him, it resulted in a second surgery. After bringing him home after the second one, Marley was very scared to come out of the cage due to the trauma and pain he had experienced before. There would be many occasions when he would vocalize pain when I was carrying him or opening the front door.

The gabapentin and Methocarbamol helped a lot after surgery. They also send him home for 3 days on codeine. We were giving the meds every 8 hours. I don't know what your prescribed dosage is, but I would definitely let them know he is in pain.

It does get better, but it took a long time for Marley to trust again. I slept by his cage every night for 3 weeks and dreaded when it was time to take him outside. I put a pillow down in front of the cage and allowed him to walk out on it and then I would pick him up. If he didn't come out, I would reach in the cage and get him.

He is now doing very well but at that time, I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Please keep me posted and best wishes to you and your baby.
weimmom

Post by weimmom »

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. It has now been exactly 1 month since my Weim had his surgery. After his backslide 1 week post -op he has been a bit better. We went back up on the steroids, and I think that helped, although we are starting to wean them again today. He doesn't seem like he is in pain - but not wanting to walk to go to the bathroom (still on crate rest), but can if he wants to. He is still totally unsteady on his feet, and I really need that handle on his harness to hold him up. We go back to the dr next week. I know it takes a long time to heal and I am trying to be patient, but am still not all that optimistic about the outcome of the surgery. He was such a powerful, athletic dog and now he can barely walk on his own. He is such a trooper and taking everything so well, a real sweet boy.
Red_33

Post by Red_33 »

To the person who posted above re: weim. How is your weim now? Are you still querying as to whether or not you should have gone through with the operation? My weim is 1 week post op for a ventral slot. However, he did have to have two operations in a matter of a week. The first operation wasn't successful as he heamoraghed. He is still off his feet 1week post. I brought him home 2 days ago. I'm having to turn him every 2 hours to prevent pressure sores, catheterise him twice a day and try my hardest to do Physio work with him. I was only sent home with metacam (anti inflammatory) and tramadol but told not to use the tramadol if I didn't have to. I can't seem to do much work with him as he seems in so much pain :-( I feel so frustrated and am questioning whether I've done the right thing and will ever get my bouncy bundle of fun back, he was my shadow. I don't know of any dogs that have been completely knocked off there feet? I would love to hear of anyone else's stories.
weimmom

Post by weimmom »

hi - so we are putting our Weim to sleep in a few hours. ABout 5 week post surgery he was recovering, still not doing great, but able to walk dragging his feet a bit. Then all of the sudden he couldn't even stand. He was admitted for high dose steroids and never improved. He had 2 spots in his neck that were not good. They think that after they operated on the worst spot, it destabilized the c-spine and the spot under it got worse. It has been a month where he has not been able to walk or even stand. We have been doing intense physical therapy with him, turning him, carrying out to the bathroom - he has to lay on his side to go. We are so incredibly sad - our sweet boy. He can't live like this, and it is taking an extreme mental and physical toll on us as well. I am completely heartbroken. I did not expect this. His case is different then a lot of others because he has 3 bad spots in his neck. Maybe he would've come to this place whether we did the surgery or not, but the surgery certainly accelerated his deterioration. Good luck to you.
Red_33

Post by Red_33 »

OMG I am so sorry to hear such sad news, it has brought tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to you and your family. Iinis times like these when we question our decisions. How old is your weim? Sending hugs to you all
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

weimmom, I am sorry you are in this situation, but you know you did everything you could. I have been in that situation where I spent a huge amount and put the pet through a huge ordeal, and in the end it did not work because the surgery failed and I had to let my pet go. It also changes your relationship with the vet involved, you feel let down. You just feel sick about it. But you didn't know it was going to turn out that way when you went into it, and you wouldn't have considered not trying, if there was a chance. I am so sorry. You did everything right, I wish it had worked out for your dog and you. You know you did everything you possibly could.

Red_33 I think I would let the vet know your dog still has a lot of pain. If the metacam + tramadol is not doing the job, they can give him something stronger. I would call them as soon as they are open and explain what is going on. There are so many pain meds for dogs ranging from mild analgesics to full blown controlled substance narcotics. Your vet is basically relying on you to report whether the pain control is adequate as s/he cannot observe the patient. I wouldn't hesitate to tell him/her if the current meds just aren't doing the job. My dog was on a morphine derivative the first 10 days after her injury, I had to wear special blue (nitrile) gloves to administer it. She spent her first few weeks at home with her head tipped back and her eyes half closed and a happy look on her face. I could tell the last 45 minutes when it was wearing off, she was back in pain again. Later they gave her a milder pain reliever.
weimmom

Post by weimmom »

Thanks for your kind words. Our weim was almost 8yo. My advice would be to make sure to advocate for your dog - if something does not seem right, if there is too much pain, make sure the vet understands the situation and what is going on. I know neuro stuff takes time and it is hard to know what is par for the course of recovery versus when something is not going right. I hope your dog recovers quickly.