Lovely tomcat in a tail pull (car?) accident

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
littleman

Lovely tomcat in a tail pull (car?) accident

Post by littleman »

Hi,

My lovely little cat had an accident last Saturday, March 2nd. He's a (nearly) three year old tom who loves to play outside and explore. We're not exactly sure what happened but basically the result has been a break in his tail, where it joins the spine. It's been a hellish week. Our vets were keep to put him to sleep within days. We did not want this and asked them for some time.

We were finally able to visit him together at the vets on Tuesday, three days after the accident, and had a side consultation room to play in for an hour. This seemed made such a difference to his mood. He was allowed home Wednesday night to see if he would toilet himself in his home environment. He'd been on a cath in the vets. Sadly, he didn't wee or poo for himself and when we took him back as planned his bladder was "dangerously full" and he had to be admitted, sedated and catheterised. We then brought him home Friday evening and have been trying to express him. He has good use of his hind legs (he can walk around fine and jump onto low surfaces), and so he wriggles, scratches and bites like a rascal when we try to empty his bladder. We went back to the vets and she showed us again. We're still really struggling and it takes hours out of the day sitting, trying to be calm and giving him a squeeze. I don't know how empty I'm getting him, and have tried to read about the size it ought to be etc but don't feel any more confident at the moment :( Most videos seem to be of dosile or paralysed cats. Our little man really moves around and his bladder moves around with him making it really difficult. My husband can't manage to get anything at the moment, and is very frustrated with himself.

He also seems constipated. Initially, they said he had no anal tone. This seems to have shown some improvement over the past week. He was given a micro-enema and both occassions, he was passing stools. He was very uncomfortable with it up him bottom yesterday, which the vet said was a good sign. He is also scratching and posing over his litter tray.After the micro enema he went in, scratched around and passed a stool inside the tray. I cried! But then he also dropped two elsewhere so we don't know how excited to be? The vet was, by her own admission, still taking a rather doom and goom approach when I rang to let her know.

I also took him to a veterinary acupuncture session yesterday. Who knows what difference it made/will make, but the vet was kind and patient. Has anyone had experience of this? She also tried to show me another way to express his bladder. She made it look so effortless. I left with renewed confidence, got home, tried it, and failed. We're going to return to this vet practice on Friday for another acupuncture session and see if she can help us both learn to express. I'm getting so frustrated with myself and end up feeling sick and nervous knowing what I have to try to do later in the day.

We're a young couple with no children yet (we had planned to have a few years of being able to take last minute trips etc before starting a family; so much for that, hey!), and expressing his bladder is really taking it's toll after only a week or so. Crude as it may sound, we've also got to be mindful of vet bills. He's not had his tail amputated, yet, and we've been advised that this will be around £450. We've realised that while we have insurance, it's a pretty rubbish policy and doesn't cover us for more than £1500 and we're up to £1000 already, after a week. He's our baby and we love him so, so much. He hates the expressing; he howls and cries. It's heartbreaking and, although he seems content enough shortly after, I don't know how much of a life it is for a cat to keep doing this three/ four times a day (I have to do it more often than I've read because I'm not getting enough from him.)

Reading over the posts on the forum has been very useful over the last week but does anyone have any advice for me based on my little man's situation? Thank you.
CarolC

Re: Lovely tomcat in a tail pull (car?) accident

Post by CarolC »

Some cats will hold still when scruffed. Have you tried scruffing him?

There is medication to make the bladder more expressible. Is he on any?

When you refer to videos, I think you mean the ones at the end of this article. If not, there may be more videos here:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

:banner:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Buddy was a little skunk about being expressed, and I had to scruff him, hold him on his back on a folded towel, and express him with the other hand into a baby diaper. Learning to play Tiptoe Through the Guts to find the water balloon is an acquired skill, but remember--vets weren't born with that skill either!!!
littleman

Post by littleman »

Thank you both for your replies!

I've tried to scruffed him but the rascal flops onto his belly so I can't get at him and I've still a little nervous about lifting up his back area too forcefully so not to do more damage to any recovering nerve areas. I'm having some success now with holding him by his front paws over my left arm and squeezing with my right. Sometimes his back paws lift from the floor but he seems a lot less affected by this method. So, for now, this seems to be a solution! He was on dantrium, but the second vet didn't think he seemed to need it. Based on the last couple of days, this might be right.

He's a big cat, around 5kg. We started him on lactulose, 5ml twice per day, and then yesterday came home to four 2-3inch delights in the litter tray. First two were really hard and third was 'normal'. I am hoping this is a good sign. The fourth was sloppier and there was mess of the same consistency over the floor area so we probably need to review the dose a little.

Second acupuncture session later today. We're hoping and praying our little guy can get bladder function back. It's so difficult to know what nerves have suffered damage.
Jean

Post by Jean »

What is your kitties name?
The stress you are describing learning to express your cat is what anyone who has learned to express has encountered. Unlike the colon the bladder can be found in different areas dependent upon its fullness. I have been expressing for 14 years ever since I pulled a 6 week old kitten off of a highway. I thought I would never learn. I drove the vets crazy going back again and again for instructions. I had both vets in the practice work with me. They made it look so easy and then I would get home and I could not find the bladder. I felt like a total failure. I don't know how many nights I went to bed crying because I could not even locate the bladder much less express it.
But, finally with time I finally learned to express. I think the thing that made one of the biggest differences was when the vet took my hand and physically helped me to place my fingers around the bladder. Then, he put his hand over mine and showed me how hard to squeeze. He really emphasized that you really have to dig your fingers into their abdomen to find the bladder. After that I did better. It just takes time. Plus, the drug bethanechol seemed to cause the bladder to be easier to find. In addition, with one of my paralyzed cats if I have problems locating the bladder I move her from a standing position and let her hang with her front legs support and her bottom hanging down. Letting gravity pull her down seemed to reposition her bladder from the pull of gravity and makes it easier for me to locate her bladder.
Don't give up on your boy. He has already made progress bowel wise. Stay after the vets to work with you every chance you get. Your boys life depends upon it.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

He should be easier to express now that you have his colon more cleaned out. 10 ml of lactulose a day did sound like a high dose of lactulose, but so glad it worked. Is there any chance you could post a video of the expressing method you found that works? It would definitely help other people who have cats (and big cats :D ) who don't want to hold still. I can picture your method pretty well from the description and I do not remember seeing a video of it anywhere. Glad you found something that works!
:trophy: