Dog will not get out of car/walk please help.

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
SirCharleston3

Dog will not get out of car/walk please help.

Post by SirCharleston3 »

Hi, so recently within the past week, our white/golden lab, around 8 years of age, stopped eating his dog food, but still ate regular human food and pretty much any other food besides his regular dog food. After talking to out vet and looking online we came to the conclusion that he was just being spoiled. It was right at this time that he started walking a lot less then usual, and started to get really thin. We purchased some canned dog food and mixed it with his dog chow and now he is eating fine, but still is very weak in his legs and can't seem to walk very far at all before he gives up and just sits there. Right now at this moment he is sitting in the car because he is refusing to get out and snaps at us when we try and pick him up, which is very strange because he is normally a very sweet and loving dog. He eats, drinks, urinates, and poops normally. We would take him to the emergency vet, but we will not be able to have the money until monday, the day after tomrrow, because of all the banks being closed, and we did not qualify for payment plans or any other sort of financial aid, which is why i am posting here rather then taking him to an emergency vet. We really would not like to put him down if he does not truely have to be, but at the same time we would not like to keep him in any form of suffering for our own purpose of loving. He is personally my best friend, and all of ours for that time, which makes this really sad and difficult for us to decide what to do. So if any here can give us any sort of advice as to what we can do, or any help at all, we would truely appreciate it a whole lot. Thank you.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Dog will not get out of car/walk please help.

Post by Bobbie »

It does sound like he is in pain, and coupled with loss of appetite, that could be something pretty serious. I think I'd just let him sleep in the car and get to the vet as soon as you possibly can. You might call your regular vet and see if the vet will possibly see your dog on a weekend, if you explain you cannot afford the emergency vet (which I totally understand- they are outrageously expensive) but that may not be too likely.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
SirCharleston3

Post by SirCharleston3 »

Thank you for your help and concern, i appreciate it a lot. Our regular vet is not answering, and all the other ones in my area are closed for the weekend. His appetite definately is back, he basically eats anything i give him now, it's just his legs that seem to be the problem. He did finally get out of the car though. I'm just wondering if you think it is alright to keep him here for a few days until we have the money to see the emergency vet, and also if there's anything we should do for him during this time.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Well, you do what you can do, but if you can possibly get him in Monday I would do it. Some problems get more expensive if you wait, others become less treatable. Just be up front with the vet about not having a lot of money, but it might prove not too expensive to treat. Explain that you cannot afford a lot of tests up front.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
SirCharleston3

Post by SirCharleston3 »

Yeah, for sure. I don't really have any other choice than to wait until monday, so I'll just make sure he stays off his feet and is comfortable,happy and do everything i possibly can until then. We went to the emergency last night and they gave us an estimate of 600 just for the diagnose, EKG, and exam, which we had no way of paying for. We did not qualify for the payment plan or any other sort of financial aid or anything, so we had no choice but to take him back home.. But yeah thank you for your support and help I appreciate it, as this has been really stressing me and worrying me and taking my focus away from everything else, but he seems to be really happy and comfortable so I guess all i can do is just wait and hope for the best.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Here are some resources to help financially : http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... =29&t=8162

:welcomepink: Please keep us posted.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
SirCharleston3

Post by SirCharleston3 »

Hey sorry I havent replied in a while, I've been caught up in finals week at school and having to take care of our dog, but we took him to the hospital yesterday and they said he has arthritis and possibly a minor spinal problem, so they gave us some pain medication. He has definately slightly improved his walking, we are able to atleast walk him to the end of our street before he sits down from being tired. They said he probably won't be running around again. I'm just wondering if there's chance of this improving slowly over time. Just a month ago he was running all over the place when playing with his toy, so this seems strange that now he can hardly walk. Is there any chance that he may eventually after steady training every day be able to atleast run a little bit? I really would like for him to live a long as life as possible and get to really embrace and enjoy the rest of his life since he's only 8, which i understand isn't too old, though he probably getting somewhat near there. I got him when i was only about 13 or so, so through my teenager years I wasn't around as much to keep him as fit as I probably should have, and I really would like to make it up to him now before he gets really old.