Nerve damage in cat foreleg - should we bind it?

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Beanbam

Nerve damage in cat foreleg - should we bind it?

Post by Beanbam »

Hello,
Our cat Skedaddle was hit by a car last night. We've had him looked at by the emergency vet, who suggested the nerve damage to his foreleg was very serious, no broken bones but he isn't responding to pain stimulus, which means it could be permanent and require amputation.
He's been sent home for a few days. His foreleg isn't responding at all, he's dragging his paw and his other limbs are a little shaky.
I've read a lot about nerve damage - some sites suggest binding to keep the limb protected - I'm wondering do they mean, like a sling? We could use a tubular bandage or cut off pantyhose to keep his bad leg in place, or will that cause the muscle to seize up/atrophy?
Should we just let him drag it? The floors are not rough so it shouldn't get injured - just looks painful!
I'm concerned about the muscles atrophying and wondered also if there's any physical therapy we can perform over the next few days to help him.
Thanks for reading this.
Laura
critters
Founding Member

Re: Nerve damage in cat foreleg - should we bind it?

Post by critters »

:slant: A splint works wonders, and HP sells some that usually do nicely. We have 2 of these http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-w ... plint.html in the leg variety, and I was getting ready to buy an arm one for Tristalyn, who sustained a similar injury, right as she healed to the point she didn't need it; they weren't as easy to find back then. Splints not only protect but also hold the limb in the position of function.

It IS possible for contractures to set in if you don't use a splint, but I've only seen it in spinal cord injury, and only in 1 of my 4 SCI boys.
Beanbam

Post by Beanbam »

Thanks. Do you know when we should splint it? Is it worth waiting a while to see if it heals on it's own or should we buy a splint asap?
We don't know much about cats - this one turned up at our door as a kitten and we took him in. He's had all his jabs but we don't have much practical experience and I'm a bit of softie - it hurts just to look at him!
Beanbam

Post by Beanbam »

In other news - he's never been trained to go to the toilet inside the house. He lives on a farm and always goes out. Any ideas how we handle that? He is refusing to go at all.
Thanks,
Laura
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Beanbam wrote:Thanks. Do you know when we should splint it? Is it worth waiting a while to see if it heals on it's own or should we buy a splint asap?
Good question, and I don't know the answer. :D Since it seems like he might be going outside, judging by your next post, sooner might be better, for protection.