Urgent help for foster dog - Sugar Ray

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Christine

Urgent help for foster dog - Sugar Ray

Post by Christine »

Posting this a for rescue friend
QUESTION 1 - Sugar Ray – our Boxer/St. Bernard mix foster dog – 2-3 years old, 64 pounds. He began limping slightly earlier this week. At first we weren't sure there was anything wrong – but now he is trying not to put any weight on his paw when he walks. When he goes outside he seems to try to put weight on it and walk normally – but when he comes back inside on the hard floors he lifts it again. It clearly hurts. He really doesn’t want us to touch it. My husband examined his knee joint and it doesn't seem to be there – it appears to be lower – in his ankle joint, metatarsals or actual paw. We examined his paw and there doesn’t seem to be any cuts or swelling. His is normally a VERY active runner and player – never losing energy – but he is in pain now.

Where should I take him? I looked up ortho vets and I see Dr. Slattery at Walnut Grove Animal Clinic and Dr. Parker at Shelby Center Hospital. ANY GUIDANCE OR ADVICE? I REALLY need to get him in as early as possible tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION 2 He just got over kennel cough last week and prior to that a viral papilloma (wart) on his lip was removed – both things my vet attributed to his being around other dogs at Dogs Rule Day Care. He had been immunized for kennel cough but the vet said there are many strains – impossible to immunize against all. She also said viral papilloma's were common in young dogs and probably wouldn’t come back. I'm worried he has a compromised immune system due to his heartworm and treatment he had almost a year ago. Is that possible? Or is it just because he is young, active and with other dogs?
Attachments
foster doggie.png
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Re: Urgent help for foster dog - Sugar Ray

Post by CarolC »

I don't know what is wrong or which vet is better, but there is a board certified surgeon in Memphis (Dr. Maxwell) in case you need one.

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/FindaS ... nYourArea/
visitingpetnurse

Post by visitingpetnurse »

I would have Sugar Ray checked by your vet to see if he tore a CCL- not uncommon in active dogs.
Unfortunately, the best cure is surgery and rehab. (Can be expensive) Forgoing surgery will lead to early arthritis. (Not good for the dog)
Mary Weed LVT
Ypsilanti, MI
doctorbrooke

Post by doctorbrooke »

As for the papillomas--2-3 years old is a bit old for this but if he was never exposed as a pup, that may be all...and probably by "kennel cough" we are speaking of "community acquired respiratory disease" as opposed to Bordetella bronchiseptica...in which case, yes, there are numerous viruses and bacteria that cause respiratory disease in dogs, just like there are many "colds" we humans can catch--it's the price for a social life for your dog :)
Brooke Loewenstein, DVM, CCRT
Buckeystown Veterinary Hospital
Buckeystown, Maryland