DM dog with bowel issues? Very uncomfortable :-(

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
ozzoom

DM dog with bowel issues? Very uncomfortable :-(

Post by ozzoom »

Hello , I have a 13 yr old pug who has Degenerative Myelopathy. We take each new challenge as it comes and although he needs wheelchair to get around and a stroller for longer outings, he really seems to still be happy and relatively healthy for the most part.
He has had a few digestion issues since his DM diagnoses, but nothing too difficult to deal with, a day or two of loose stools, some gas and burping and grass eating at night that's relieved with an antacid. But the past couple of days he seems to be uncomfortable, trembling and panting , so much so that I took him to emergency vet last night to get checked out.
Abdominal X-rays showed that he has a fair amount of stool in his colon , and gas as well but not so much that she would diagnose him with constipation or bowel obstruction. Ended up giving him a shot of something to help with gassy stomache and also a pain medicine that was supposed to help him get some sleep.
He did eventually sleep but honestly today doesnt seem any better, still trembling and panting. Although he has an appetite like a horse and was trying to play with other dogs a little while up in his wheels .
I just don't know what to do. I hate to see him like this but I'm not sure if its "time" to let him go or if this is just a rough couple days . Amy advice is appreciated, anyone else have similar issues?
Holly and Sherman
CarolC

Re: DM dog with bowel issues? Very uncomfortable :-(

Post by CarolC »

I have never heard of this exact situation described. Usually I would think trembling and panting might be pain, and if so I don't know if gas pains would cause that? Did she check his mouth to see if he has a sore tooth, and are his anal glands OK?

There is a way to stimulate a dog to eliminate, and here is an article that covers it. I like the ice cube method, many people like the q-tip and vaseline method. I guess if you get him emptied out and he is still panting and trembling, that would make it seem less likely the bowel was the cause.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets

I wonder if maybe you could ask your vet about switching him to a sensitive stomach diet sich as Science Diet i/d or whatever is appropriate, or possibly they might give him an enzyme supplement to help him digest better.

You might call your regular vet and ask if there is something over-the-counter you could give him for the gas, and what dosage is correct for his size.

:grouph:
ozzoom

Re: DM dog with bowel issues? Very uncomfortable :-(

Post by ozzoom »

Thanks for your reply.
We have been expressing his bladder and stimulating bowel movements for several months now with no problems.
He was a little better this afternoon but still restless. It's so strange , when I put him in any of his favourite spots he just wants to get up and go to hang out in kitchen by his food bowl. It's like he is ravenously hungry. Also when i take him outside to lie in the lawn he seems to settle down (?) Gave him some gas remedy today a couple of times and stimulated bm often today, trying to get things moving for him.. I'm not sure what the heck is going on with him, next step is probably some blood work to see if anything shows up that way