2 year old cat not well

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Danc2much

2 year old cat not well

Post by Danc2much »

my two year old cat started to act lethargic....he is eating...drinking. And peeing but has not pooped to my knowledge but I do have two cats..put litter box in living room to keep a better eye..took him to vet Tuesday...vet said he had a fever...gave him a shot and an anal cleansing...have given him pumpkin and a lil lactilose since my husband is prescribed that...vet told me how much to give...still no poop...but no fever anymore...took him back to vet today he said he feels he must have pooped as he did another rectal exam...not sure where the pop went...now I have separated the two cats and brought out my old kitty litter box so he has his own...still eating...drinking sleeping and eating...so,far no poop..just pee...it's been a few hours...he is still very lethargic...might try some more lactilose ????
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Re: 2 year old cat not well

Post by BendyMom »

poop management...i think i live it daily.
pumpkin is good, lactulose is good. i have a boy with a severely deformed hind end and he seems to go between having the runs and being constipated. I have given as much as 2mls of lactulose.
I found that baby food prunes are also very helpful, I mix them into his canned food. I have also given a few mls of veggie oil.
now, i have to bathe my guy so he is used to water, I don't know that most cats would be so tolerant, but a warm soak from teh waist down and massaging the belly help too. If he gets REALLY blocked he will start puking.
If you go 48 hours and absolutely no poop, then definitely take him back. Sometimes you can feel on their belly (depends again on your cat) and feel the blockage, like a hard lump. if he has a lot of poop in there he will feel very full. you can compare by feeling your other cat to see the difference. chronic constipation can lead to dehydration, if you pull the skin at the back of his neck it should snap back sharply. If it is slow and certainly if it holds the shape at all then he is dehydrated. You can try to get him to drink more by offering tasty liquid treats like tuna juice.
There is also a product called Laxatone - available at most pet stores. Sometimes cats get constipated from a hairball that they did not puke up, it doesn' teven have to be very big, it acts like a plug. the laxatone is quite helpful, I have heard of cats needing to eat almost the whole tube, but whatever it takes to get them moving again. I hope he clears up quickly for you.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.