dog suddenly almost paralysed - need help!

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
CarolC

Re: dog suddenly almost paralysed - need help!

Post by CarolC »

Well...you rested him a full 8 weeks plus a few days. You really seriously rested him, like they want you to, with no "cheating". I would think slow walking would be allowed by now as long as you see no ill effects. I agree a little walking and then continued rest seems like a sensible, conservative approach. If he's not showing any discomfort when you lift him to carry him upstairs, that's really good. It is hard for the average person to lift and set down a big dog in a controlled manner without causing the dog to use the neck muscles. You might want to start giving him a verbal cue when you are going to do it, such as "Up" so he knows to be ready each time? I started doing that with my dog when her neck was bothering her and it seemed to help. I guess part of what makes me nervous is you can do everything right in terms of using good judgment on exercise and so on, but it seems like there is still going to be an element you can't control. You can only hope for example, he doesn't get charged by another dog when he's out or some other unexpected thing like that, and I don't know how you can really control for that without keeping him in a bubble. Hopefully if he has any more symptoms, they won't have a chance to get as bad because you'll be watching for the slightest thing. Whatever extra time you can give him is a gift. I'm so glad he's slowly improved. Again, he is a very fortunate dog to be at your house.
troy123

Post by troy123 »

thanks carol.
here is a link to a video that I have recently filmed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0yG2Dihoik
he is not constantly this active, as I still try to make him take it easy. this is upstairs, for bedtime. there s a dozen steps, and I lift him up in the evenings, back down in the morning. yes, I usually count to three, and he seems to know, as he stands still and waits for me to take hi up, then back down. the pressure is from right under his front legs, and I think it s ok, as it s the same way I lifted to take him to the vet when he was still in agony if moved wrong. and even then he was fine with me doing so.
besides this, he is most days locked in his crate, and I m taking him out around 3 times daily... 5, 10 minutes walk. if it s 10 minutes, its more because he takes the time to sniff, stop etc... rather than because we do a lot of walking... basically just hat I would normally walk in 3 minutes...

I had posted a link to the harness I was buying, but sadly found out that, for a reason I cant understand, the staff refunded the money back to my card without warning, and I only found this out by coincidence 20 days late, while I was eagerly waiting to receive it any day, or so I thought. was told that they had to verify my address, and that tried to contact me on three occasions without hearing from me . I find it hard to believe that- as I received all other e mails, and was wondering if they did not read my full mail and got confused, as I had previously inquired about a refund should the harness not fit.
things which happen - so basically I bought him another one, locally, and he seems to be doing fine with it.

1. sometimes when I walk him, he seems to be more comfortable at a jogging pace than my normal walking one. it also shows in the video. I discourage and make him walk slower, when we re in the street,.. but wished to ask if you guys think it s ok and perhaps more natural for him, after all, dogs normal pace may be faster to ours..

the good news about things, besides the fact that he s walking (almost) fine, is that his 3rd liver test came out, and vet says that he is fine now... I will cut the medication very soon... for this.

also, I need to get a vet on a house call to check some issues he may have, now that perhaps I could focus more on them. his teeth... he has a small lump (which I think is just fat) on his chest, his ears... one of his testicles feels irregular.. almost like it has a lump... only noticed it today... this worries me most.

2. another question I needed to ask is... he has been on wet food ever since he got paralysed.. sometimes I wonder if he can eat hard treats, like these dental ones etc, or if he can go for dry food... will this harm him, since he has a neck problem?

3. also - he barks a lot when left alone. I watched him on Skype, and for a whole hour, he was restless. in the crate, barking, and howling... for no we have never really left him much alone, but as he gets better, he will have to get used to this. I know it wont be easy, and ill need to be done in small doses, eventually increasing the tie interval etc.. however wished to ask how bad is it to leave him barking... how harsh on his neck would that be? I did not notice any negative effects afterwards, but still.. woud he be stressing his neck,.. does anyone have any suggestions on how to go on about this? I feel that, since his previous owners just left and never came back... he feels that the same might happen to him when we leave...

I apologise if I had not posted a lot lately. I was off work during Christmas time, and find myself working morning til night. my girl has taken over most of the care... however I will keep getting back to this and post regular updates. I also hope that something, along these lines, may help someone else in the future.

once again, thank you for any information and advice.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

troy123 wrote:thanks carol.
here is a link to a video that I have recently filmed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0yG2Dihoik
he is not constantly this active, as I still try to make him take it easy. this is upstairs, for bedtime. there s a dozen steps, and I lift him up in the evenings, back down in the morning. yes, I usually count to three, and he seems to know, as he stands still and waits for me to take hi up, then back down. the pressure is from right under his front legs, and I think it s ok, as it s the same way I lifted to take him to the vet when he was still in agony if moved wrong. and even then he was fine with me doing so.
besides this, he is most days locked in his crate, and I m taking him out around 3 times daily... 5, 10 minutes walk. if it s 10 minutes, its more because he takes the time to sniff, stop etc... rather than because we do a lot of walking... basically just hat I would normally walk in 3 minutes...

He is doing FANTASTIC. I think they call that multi-tasking when they can walk and wag at the same time. I see what you mean about the lifting, since you were doing it a certain way before and already know it didn't bother him. He is doing AMAZING!

I had posted a link to the harness I was buying, but sadly found out that, for a reason I cant understand, the staff refunded the money back to my card without warning, and I only found this out by coincidence 20 days late, while I was eagerly waiting to receive it any day, or so I thought. was told that they had to verify my address, and that tried to contact me on three occasions without hearing from me . I find it hard to believe that- as I received all other e mails, and was wondering if they did not read my full mail and got confused, as I had previously inquired about a refund should the harness not fit.
things which happen - so basically I bought him another one, locally, and he seems to be doing fine with it.

I am glad you found a harness locally. That is beyond frustrating that you were waiting and waiting and as you say, hard to understand exactly what happen :? but only someone with a disabled dog who really needs a harness can understand the crushing disappointment and intense frustration of it not arriving and mysterious things going wrong. This was my experience trying to get a harness, and er, I had forgotten the language I used at the time...
CarolC in 2006 in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4520&p=23619&hilit=harness+address#p23619 wrote: I've had a problem getting a harness that will work for my big dog. I have ordered 3 harnesses and none of them worked. That was $35, $50, and $60-something. The first one I decided to keep because I thought I needed something, even something that didn't work too well, in a pinch. So I've got that one, but it's pretty useless if you want the truth. The second one was like the first and I planned to return it, but they had a 2-week return period and I missed it so I ate that one. The third one was never received. The company says they shipped it to the wrong address, but I asked at that address and nobody there knows anything about it. The post office claims they delivered it and it must have been stolen off my porch. I don't know what happened or who's to blame, all I know is I spent over $60 on a harness I never received, and I'm screwed again. And to top it off, I've now bought 3 blankety-blank harnesses, spent about as much as you're going to lose returning the wheelchair, and I still don't have a harness that will work. It gets to where you're ready to scream in frustration, how hard does one person have to try to get what they need???
1. sometimes when I walk him, he seems to be more comfortable at a jogging pace than my normal walking one. it also shows in the video. I discourage and make him walk slower, when we re in the street,.. but wished to ask if you guys think it s ok and perhaps more natural for him, after all, dogs normal pace may be faster to ours..

I don't have a clue but that's interesting. I guess...trust your observations? With horses a canter is much smoother than a trot, don't know about dogs with different paces.

the good news about things, besides the fact that he s walking (almost) fine, is that his 3rd liver test came out, and vet says that he is fine now... I will cut the medication very soon... for this.

also, I need to get a vet on a house call to check some issues he may have, now that perhaps I could focus more on them. his teeth... he has a small lump (which I think is just fat) on his chest, his ears... one of his testicles feels irregular.. almost like it has a lump... only noticed it today... this worries me most.

Gosh, I hope he's OK after all this. Oh, boy. It's a good thing you noticed it right away, at least there is that. I was told vets don't like to do real surgery in conjuction with dental cleaning because the dental can put germs into the bloodstream. That may be wrong, I can't remember if I heard it from my vet's office or someplace less reliable. I was just thinking if they need to put him out to do a biopsy, they could clean his teeth, but then I remembered hearing that. :thinking:

2. another question I needed to ask is... he has been on wet food ever since he got paralysed.. sometimes I wonder if he can eat hard treats, like these dental ones etc, or if he can go for dry food... will this harm him, since he has a neck problem?

Again I don't know, I'm sorry.

3. also - he barks a lot when left alone. I watched him on Skype, and for a whole hour, he was restless. in the crate, barking, and howling... for no we have never really left him much alone, but as he gets better, he will have to get used to this. I know it wont be easy, and ill need to be done in small doses, eventually increasing the tie interval etc.. however wished to ask how bad is it to leave him barking... how harsh on his neck would that be? I did not notice any negative effects afterwards, but still.. woud he be stressing his neck,.. does anyone have any suggestions on how to go on about this? I feel that, since his previous owners just left and never came back... he feels that the same might happen to him when we leave...

When you go, are the other dogs there or do they go with you? He should not feel he's abandoned if they are there, too. If they are gone, maybe he just feels left out?

I apologise if I had not posted a lot lately. I was off work during Christmas time, and find myself working morning til night. my girl has taken over most of the care... however I will keep getting back to this and post regular updates. I also hope that something, along these lines, may help someone else in the future.

I hope so, too. On some of the questions where the answer is unknown, such as the trotting question, maybe if you learn from experience and post the answer it will help someone someday. Here we are good at referring people to old threads that apply to a new situation (speaking for myself I will remember a lot of the cases personally and am reminded of them when I see a new case), but Troy is the biggest dog with a cervical problem who is represented by more than just a post or two that I'm aware of. I could give you links to maybe 3 cases/websites dealing with cervical dogs, but they are all small (a chihauhua, a Yorkie, and a dachshund) and I do not recall anything in them that really applies to Troy's case (or I would have posted them right away), but let me know if you are interested.

once again, thank you for any information and advice.

Once again, I am so happy and so impressed to see him doing so well. :trophy:
troy123

Post by troy123 »

hi carol, thanks to you for writing.

if you ever stumble across them, though unrelated I might browse through those links you mention. but do not worry about it as it may be time consuming to find them, since you say they are not relevant to troy s case.
as regards the trotting / jogging... I asked the question as my girl brought up the fact that, at times he seemed to be making greater effort to walk slower, at our pace, and that his natural one was more effortless, although slightly faster to how we usually walk. so far, I am walking him, at times going myself at a faster pace. not jogging, but faster than I would normally walk. I am not as worried about this as being careful of him not taking steps.. as in - steep pavements, up and down, jumping etc... and at a flat surface I feel that his natural pace will do. at least for now, as i still think he is recovering, although he s walking fine.

his weakness is shown mostly when he urinates, for instance, as he lifts up his back leg... tends to lose balance. this is improving day by day. i used to hold his chest, at times from the bladder, so as i let him lean / balance against my hand, i would feel the bladder and push against it... not sure if it s out of weeks of expressing hi, or to make him empty all faster and reduce the walking... but that s how i started dealing ith it. lately i still occasionally help him, more out of a worry that he may go through a sudden impact should he fall as i hold on to his leash and harness.. what i mostly do today is, i just put upwards tension on the leash / harness.. just slightly...
this would be where i lift him up from... right under the front legs. and i find it helps him. i don't do this every time either, as i feel he is improving and getting better day by day.
should someone, in the future, come across this post, good to keep in mind the place of injury, as this is very particular to troy and perhaps elsewhere in the spine than lower neck might hurt in a different case..

at times, when he shakes his head the way dogs do... flapping his ears... he seems to almost lose balance for a second.. then gets back to normal..

we have resolved to keep him in the crate (which is a bit bigger than a normal one, since i built it around a single bed mattress) till april. he still goes out around on short walks approximately 3 times daily. also we still let him out in the living room, kitchen area occasionally. when he is quiet and chilled, it is ok if he wishes to go on a cushion, outside the crate. just to feel like he is not locked in... as long as he is not stressing himself... doesn't matter if he s confined or not. but for the coming to months we will not take him out on long walks... or let him be totally free around the house, unless supervised. he still needs a lot of rest, and as long as he shows weaknesses in his walking, it means that he is not yet ready to go all out.

yes, i was laughing when you told me how you felt about the harness. more than anything, frustration peaks up when you spend hours (days) to choose what you think is best... wait every single day, check the post, call to ask if he got it etc etc... and i would love people to care rather than mess up out of either lack of attention or disinterest in the job they do. but that is life, and these things do happen.. i cant keep grudges and am only pleased to see troy doing better. i hope it will stay that way.

as regards chewing, i will ask the vet, although i have a feeling that he will know and feel if it s wrong, as it will probably hurt him. i remember at one point when he was badly in pain, he would refuse some treats, and only go for the much softer food. it is a very minor detail, and is not a problem to keep him on wet food for now, or permanently... whichever..

the lump on his testicle worries me, more than his teeth, ears, a smaller one on his chest. was googling about it and apparently it could be a tumor. however many times is a harmless one, or can be removed without complications or further spreading. so i ll try get the vet on a house call next week and get an opinion on that. if i must, i will take troy to the clinic and do what needs to be done. i would hate to move him this soon, or to get him sedated. but if it can wait, a month.. maybe two... he could get better first.. i d like to see him fall into a long resting / recovering routine before, and if this has to happen.
having said this , i do not wish to jump to conclusions, and know that the first step is to get a vet home, and see what he says about it. then take it from there.

ah, remember you asked if he is left alone with other dogs. yes, usually one of the dogs is with him. not sure if it s just an impression i get, but i feel that he is even anxious when either me or my girl leave... even though he is left with the other... could be just about leaving the room, not the house.
before he got badly injured, he was staying alone for long stretches, as we would both go to work and leave him with the another dog. i do not think that he was barking as much, but then again, we only had him for a very short time before he got injured - so maybe he wasn't as confident in the house, and with other dogs around.. to let it all out as yet.. not sure if i ever mentioned, but troy was abandoned in an empty house, and when the new residents called to ask about him, his owner said that he was coming to pick him up and put him down, as he could not keep him anymore. so i got involved and took him to my place instead. his nails were all curled inwards to the paws, and it didn't look like he was ever walked etc.. took him to the vet for a check up, but his spine condition went unnoticed... good intentions may at times have bad repercussions, so as we walked him, took him to nice places etc... his disc ruptured..

so it could also be that, when he was injured he was given too much attention and never left alone for a single moment, 24/7... he could not even drink without us helping him at it. and i was sleeping downstairs, right on the floor next to him for weeks.. in case he d need to piss, drink, to see if he was cold or needed to be covered, if he soaked himself or moved wrong, got stuck in a painful posture etc....
now is a time when he is getting better, and we are cutting on that, getting back to our normal lives, and wanting him to be more independent. not in a bad way.. but he needs to. so maybe he feels the impact of a super spoilt dog.. fro being the centre of attraction to being left alone as we get back to our normal lifestyle..

i know that, any dog may be different to the other. but perhaps, in hindsight i would still have done the things i did, but perhaps without giving excessive attention, or would have left the room for longer periods, and although i would know what is going on, troy would.. even though unable to move... be alone for relevant moments of his recovery. i wonder if that would make him feel more comfortable with being alone.. less of a baby... once everything is over... i also wonder if anyone else has been through the same situation after a dog has recovered...

these are little details however, things that i m happy to work on, in time... as things are, i m just glad that he seems to be doing fine, and hope it stays that way.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

troy123 wrote:hi carol, thanks to you for writing.

if you ever stumble across them, though unrelated I might browse through those links you mention. but do not worry about it as it may be time consuming to find them, since you say they are not relevant to troy s case.

Here are two of them. I am still trying to think how to give you the other. The other is a series of posts here on the board about the Yorkie, but they are not all in one thread like Troy's story is. So here are the other two links for a start.

:arrow: http://geocities.com/mrsvrs99/boquetsdiscdisease.html
:arrow: http://dreamemporium.com/Nyssas_Gift.html

as regards the trotting / jogging... I asked the question as my girl brought up the fact that, at times he seemed to be making greater effort to walk slower, at our pace, and that his natural one was more effortless, although slightly faster to how we usually walk. so far, I am walking him, at times going myself at a faster pace. not jogging, but faster than I would normally walk. I am not as worried about this as being careful of him not taking steps.. as in - steep pavements, up and down, jumping etc... and at a flat surface I feel that his natural pace will do. at least for now, as i still think he is recovering, although he s walking fine.

It was easier for my dog to go faster when she was learning to walk again after being completely paralyzed. It seemed the forward momentum helped her keep her balance, like a child on a bicycle.

his weakness is shown mostly when he urinates, for instance, as he lifts up his back leg... tends to lose balance. this is improving day by day. i used to hold his chest, at times from the bladder, so as i let him lean / balance against my hand, i would feel the bladder and push against it... not sure if it s out of weeks of expressing hi, or to make him empty all faster and reduce the walking... but that s how i started dealing ith it. lately i still occasionally help him, more out of a worry that he may go through a sudden impact should he fall as i hold on to his leash and harness.. what i mostly do today is, i just put upwards tension on the leash / harness.. just slightly...
this would be where i lift him up from... right under the front legs. and i find it helps him. i don't do this every time either, as i feel he is improving and getting better day by day.
should someone, in the future, come across this post, good to keep in mind the place of injury, as this is very particular to troy and perhaps elsewhere in the spine than lower neck might hurt in a different case..

I think it's wonderful if he is lifting his leg at all. :D That seems to be one of the last things male dogs recover, and some of them never do (they urinate like females).

at times, when he shakes his head the way dogs do... flapping his ears... he seems to almost lose balance for a second.. then gets back to normal..

we have resolved to keep him in the crate (which is a bit bigger than a normal one, since i built it around a single bed mattress) till april. he still goes out around on short walks approximately 3 times daily. also we still let him out in the living room, kitchen area occasionally. when he is quiet and chilled, it is ok if he wishes to go on a cushion, outside the crate. just to feel like he is not locked in... as long as he is not stressing himself... doesn't matter if he s confined or not. but for the coming to months we will not take him out on long walks... or let him be totally free around the house, unless supervised. he still needs a lot of rest, and as long as he shows weaknesses in his walking, it means that he is not yet ready to go all out.

yes, i was laughing when you told me how you felt about the harness. more than anything, frustration peaks up when you spend hours (days) to choose what you think is best... wait every single day, check the post, call to ask if he got it etc etc... and i would love people to care rather than mess up out of either lack of attention or disinterest in the job they do. but that is life, and these things do happen.. i cant keep grudges and am only pleased to see troy doing better. i hope it will stay that way.

I am glad you were able to come up with a Plan B for his sake.

as regards chewing, i will ask the vet, although i have a feeling that he will know and feel if it s wrong, as it will probably hurt him. i remember at one point when he was badly in pain, he would refuse some treats, and only go for the much softer food. it is a very minor detail, and is not a problem to keep him on wet food for now, or permanently... whichever..

the lump on his testicle worries me, more than his teeth, ears, a smaller one on his chest. was googling about it and apparently it could be a tumor. however many times is a harmless one, or can be removed without complications or further spreading. so i ll try get the vet on a house call next week and get an opinion on that. if i must, i will take troy to the clinic and do what needs to be done. i would hate to move him this soon, or to get him sedated. but if it can wait, a month.. maybe two... he could get better first.. i d like to see him fall into a long resting / recovering routine before, and if this has to happen.
having said this , i do not wish to jump to conclusions, and know that the first step is to get a vet home, and see what he says about it. then take it from there.

ah, remember you asked if he is left alone with other dogs. yes, usually one of the dogs is with him. not sure if it s just an impression i get, but i feel that he is even anxious when either me or my girl leave... even though he is left with the other... could be just about leaving the room, not the house.
before he got badly injured, he was staying alone for long stretches, as we would both go to work and leave him with the another dog. i do not think that he was barking as much, but then again, we only had him for a very short time before he got injured - so maybe he wasn't as confident in the house, and with other dogs around.. to let it all out as yet.. not sure if i ever mentioned, but troy was abandoned in an empty house, and when the new residents called to ask about him, his owner said that he was coming to pick him up and put him down, as he could not keep him anymore. so i got involved and took him to my place instead. his nails were all curled inwards to the paws, and it didn't look like he was ever walked etc.. took him to the vet for a check up, but his spine condition went unnoticed... good intentions may at times have bad repercussions, so as we walked him, took him to nice places etc... his disc ruptured..

so it could also be that, when he was injured he was given too much attention and never left alone for a single moment, 24/7... he could not even drink without us helping him at it. and i was sleeping downstairs, right on the floor next to him for weeks.. in case he d need to piss, drink, to see if he was cold or needed to be covered, if he soaked himself or moved wrong, got stuck in a painful posture etc....
now is a time when he is getting better, and we are cutting on that, getting back to our normal lives, and wanting him to be more independent. not in a bad way.. but he needs to. so maybe he feels the impact of a super spoilt dog.. fro being the centre of attraction to being left alone as we get back to our normal lifestyle..

i know that, any dog may be different to the other. but perhaps, in hindsight i would still have done the things i did, but perhaps without giving excessive attention, or would have left the room for longer periods, and although i would know what is going on, troy would.. even though unable to move... be alone for relevant moments of his recovery. i wonder if that would make him feel more comfortable with being alone.. less of a baby... once everything is over... i also wonder if anyone else has been through the same situation after a dog has recovered...

these are little details however, things that i m happy to work on, in time... as things are, i m just glad that he seems to be doing fine, and hope it stays that way.

I hope he will settle down in time, constant barking can get on your nerves. I hope you do not have nearby neighbors who complain. But you mustn't blame yourself for taking him places and doing fun things! Who could have known this would happen?? And he did enjoy all those things when you did them, I'm sure. And I think this might have happened sooner or later anyway, even if you had never taken him anyplace. It could have happened in the garden, or jumping off of a chair, or just playing with the other dogs. You do not get any blame in this, and only credit for giving him the best home in the world and sticking by him like a champion when he wasn't even your dog. You deserve 10 medals and a commendation, and you should NOT try to take any blame for a condition he already had, and you didn't do anything out of the ordinary to cause this. With almost anyone else, I hate to say it but I'm afraid Troy might not still be here. Either they wouldn't have saved him when he was found in the house, or they wouldn't have tried to treat him when he developed his neck problem (all those doctor visits, the money spent on house calls and medication and tests and supplies), or they would not have succeeded (because what you have done is difficult, lifting, scheduling, expressing, problem-solving, and discerning how to proceed at each step) if they had tried. Please give yourself a break, he is so amazingly fortunate to have you (and your girl, too) and to be at your house. You have done him nothing but good the whole time you've known him. :angel:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I cannot think of a simple way to give you all the posts about Dukie, the Yorkie with a cervical injury who recovered. Below I am putting a link to all messages containing the name 'Dukie' in chronological order from first to last. The ones you want to read are the ones by either 'Connie Romero' or just 'Connie'. (These messages were posted when the message board was running on a different kind of software that allowed the poster to enter their username however they wanted.) At least this way you will be able to read all her posts about Dukie in order. Dukie's case is probably closer to Troy's than the two in the links I gave before. Please let me know if it is too hard to follow. You will see 78 messages, but they are not all by Connie so it is probably more like 50.

search.php?keywords=dukie&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search
troy123

Post by troy123 »

hi carol, thanks for the link. I have taken a few more videos of troy, he seems to be doing well and barking a little less. am on my way to work, but will soon upload and share them. today I should hear from the vet regarding the house call. if she cannot make it, I will call another vet on Monday. crossing my fingers...

thanks again
troy123

Post by troy123 »

had a look at the link - it is actually very well organized as is :) thank you
troy123

Post by troy123 »

hi again, haven't uploaded any more vids yet, as I have had some problems in doing so.
however wished to write another update.
troy doing well. the vet had told me that the lumps are just fat, very common in dogs his age, and nothing to worry about. his testicles are fine too... apparently I was worrying over nothing. :oops:
I walking him every day. we still avoid stressing him, and part of the house is still confined for him. and I still carry him up the stairs when we sleep, down as we start the day. but that is the least of troubles.
he looks happy.
my primary vet is abroad, and as soon as he comes back I will get him to do another checkup on troy.
his liver is back to normal. maybe in some months, I ll have him take care of his teeth. but am not worried about that, as it does not seem to bother troy at all.

wish to thank you a lot for for your help. I doubt that troy would be as he is today, had it not been for the help I got here.
as soon as I can upload vids again, I will let you know.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

My vet said, quote "older male dogs get lumps". I've had 2 older male dogs and they both did. :pardon:
It's far better to check and be sure, than to ignore something and regret it the rest of your life. :wink:
I hope you will be able to leave the videos up that are already uploaded. I think they are going to be a big help when people come to the thread and see each stage. Very best regards to you and Troy! :D
troy123

Post by troy123 »

thanks carol, i agree with you about better playing it safe than getting sorry at a later time. yes, I will keep the vids up, and truly hope that they, like anything else in these posts, may be helpful to others in the future. will also come back to add some more clips, as soon as I manage.
I can never thank you enough for all your help ;)
have a good day
troy123

Post by troy123 »

hi again
finally managed to get some vids up. I m attaching some recent ones. yesterday was troy s first official outing (besides the round the block / public garden neighbourhood, daily walks).... since November..

here are the links :

1. https://www.youtube.com/audio?video_ref ... d9EuRdD5E4

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9hFZ4TBSJI
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That is wonderful. Woohoo! He has a gait much like a racehorse at some points. Do you know what I mean, when he is pacing around at the end of the lead? The harness seems to be perfect. I noticed he went into a bunny hop for a second at one point. He is doing so well. You guys have done an amazing, totally amazing, job with him. I would love to be able to follow him in the coming years. Thanks for the videos!

:trophy:
troy123

Post by troy123 »

hey carol, thanks ;)
troy123

Post by troy123 »

I will try post again every so often... just a few updates. tomorrow we are taking him to another vet for a second checkup. will let you know how it goes. once again, thank you so much for your help. he is not as fragile anymore, still not letting hi go up and down stairs etc... and i wouldn't say he is 100% back.... treating him with care, but he is fine.