Frenchie with neurological problem

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
CarolC

Re: Frenchie with neurological problem

Post by CarolC »

It's really good news that he's walking! :yay:

The only thing I can say is, when they are at this "just barely walking" stage, it can only take the slightest thing to really throw them off their game. It's like the slightest thing is greatly amplified. For example, there were a couple of times where I noticed that the first sign of a UTI in my dog, before any noticeable change in her urine, would be that her walking would go all to heck. Same thing with constipation. When she was learning to walk again, if she was constipated it made a difference in her walking. So I don't know with your dog, it could be something neurological or muscle strain, but it could easily be something very common as well. It's just that it takes so little to throw them off at this stage. It helps to keep the nails trimmed, especially the front. My dog used to split her nails because she was putting more weight on her front feet when she was learning to walk again. The therapist used to say that sometimes she had her "off days" in PT and we usually did not know why.

Congratulations on the walking!
mud99

Post by mud99 »

Thank you Carol, I appreciate all the help you and others here have given through all this.

Good to hear that it is somewhat normal, it didn't seem like the physical therapist or neurologist he saw today was overly concerned, more the kind of think where they want to watch and see what happens.

Here's a few photos from his sessions:
1621826_10152076666338283_1440328567_n.jpg
1902881_10152093008383283_3677350_n.jpg
1911724_10152093008278283_439467163_n.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It looks like he's getting the royal treatment. He just couldn't be any cuter, they could use that first picture for advertising! :hearts:

What kind of little vest is he wearing in the last picture? Looks like it velcros around the neck?
mud99

Post by mud99 »

It's a thundershirt, the therapist was using it to hold the electrical pads on for his muscle stimulation exercise