cat injury

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
BarnabasKitty

cat injury

Post by BarnabasKitty »

Today is Sunday. My cat got hit, I'm guessing, on Wednesday evening. I have been to the vet twice since. xrays show no broken bones, bladder okay. He originally was dragging his left back leg the night he was hurt. He can now only walk a couple of steps at a time then he just lies wherever he is.
He won't drink so I force him with a dropper. He eats okay. I have been giving him soft food. Today he ate his dry food. But still he won't drink.
He has peed twice, well.
He has not pooped. The vet said I should by Miralax(spelling?) I have given him three doses of 1/2 tsp. It has not helped.
I have real financial problems and using my care credit for this isn't helping at a ridiculous interest rate. I have an appt for him tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do to help him poop without taking him to the Doc. His back side is obviously super sore and injured so I am wondering if he just can't push.
fields.of.art@cox.net
CarolC

Re: cat injury

Post by CarolC »

You could possibly do an enema at home, but you might need 2 people. You can either buy a pet enema that is safe for cats, or use plain warm water. Most people get the enema done by the vet.

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Ema-Enema-For ... B001BBXD9C

You can stir additional water into his soft food. If he really isn't drinking enough, your vet may need to give him some fluids. You can also give sub-Q fluids at home, it is not super expensive.

In some cases giving milk will act as a laxative, you might ask the vet about that.

Also many people recommend giving plain canned pumpkin (no spices).

:welcome:
critters
Founding Member

Re: cat injury

Post by critters »

:slant: I think I'd crate him until he feels better. Is he taking any prednisone? Pain meds? If he's crated until he's feeling better and is more mobile, it's easier to see what he's eating, drinking, and peeing.

I've done the extra water in canned food, like Carol suggests. I've also been known to put a pinch of salt into it, well-mixed, to make them thirstier. You don't want to put in so much that it's gross, of course.

Lactulose is a liquid poop softener (prescription, I'm afraid) that I've never had any trouble getting somebody to take. It's usually relatively cheap, and it's easy to change doses as needed.