Cat Suddenly Colapses

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
arlocat

Cat Suddenly Colapses

Post by arlocat »

Yesterday my cat collapsed and has not been able to stand up let alone walk. My cat is 151/2 yrs old and is in good health except for a hyperactive thyoid (takes medication) and arthritis in the lower back (takes steroid shots every six weeks). Up to yesterday, all treatment has been working and cat was happy cat -- some difficulties with litter box but nothing unmanageable, wants to be picked up but chooses to jump down (no elevation higher than the lap). I try to ease her down rather than have her jump, but, she likes to be in control of her actions. Yesterday, I gave her the thyroid medication (she takes it on her ear flap. It absorbs through the skin), and, when I put her down, she collapsed. She cannot move herself or have me help her move. She is completely limp -- all extremities (sp - ?) including neck. I laid her on the couch, with beach towel and absorbant paper mat below and towel as blanket above. I took a small pillow and fashioned it as a wedge so she has her head and upper body lifted. Everyone in the neighborhood is recovering from a snowstorm yesterday. Can't get her to the vet. Does anyone have an idea of what might have happened? Any response would be appreciated. :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cat Suddenly Colapses

Post by critters »

:welcomepigs: I know you already know she needs to go to the doctor, but I wonder if something has set off the spinal arthritis?
arlocat

Post by arlocat »

Something is definitely up. Vet appointment is tomorrow. Cat is very alert although napping right now. She seems to not be in any discomfort. I have been feeding / watering her by proping her head up with my hand. She laps up the water and laps up the (wet) food through a spoon that I use. She urinates and deficates on the paper mat which is easily changed. She tries to stretch out her front and back legs but she cannot change position, whether it be the positioning of her legs or her laying position. I put her in the laying position and she remains in it. Very worried. Thank you for your response.
arlocat

Post by arlocat »

Missy passed on last night. Thank you so much for your responses.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry: