Broken back on a dachshund, how do I deal with potty?

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
iamalion

Broken back on a dachshund, how do I deal with potty?

Post by iamalion »

My girl molly is 5.5 years old and suffered a break in her back. She has feeling and control of her tail, but her back legs are nonfunctional. The vet said that there is a chance for recovery as long as she stays in a crate.

She has been in the crate and is doing somewhat okay, she isnt pleased with it. The problem I am having is how do I take her potty? I tried using a strap to hold her back end up, but she seems reluctant to go.
She has not wet the bed, so I think she still has control, but we arent sure.

I am trying to take care of her as best as possible in hopes that she makes a recovery, even if it is enough to been in a cart.

I posted on reddit about this and they recommended I come here as well for information and support

Please help, I'm not sure how do deal with her proper and am absolutely terrified of having to have her put down :(
Last edited by iamalion on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolC

Re: Broken back on a dachshund, how do I deal with potty?

Post by CarolC »

Hi,

According to what you wrote on the other site, it does not appear her back is broken. It appears she has some kind of back strain or disk problem. I agree that since she still has feeling and can wag her tail, there is a chance she will recover with strict crate rest. I saw someone referred you to the Dodger's List website. I am giving you links to a couple of their articles on crate rest for a back problem. Strict crate rest is the key, even if she doesn't like being crated, it's really important.

https://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/CrateRRP.htm

https://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/conservative.htm

With regard to toileting, I would not recommend using any kind of strap or anything to hold her back end up. Right now you do not want to risk straining her back by putting too much lift on any single area, her back needs even support. If you are going to try to support her with any kind of strap, it should be a very wide one that will give even support under her entire belly, not one that puts support on one spot. I would recommend carrying her out to her usual potty location, and if she does not urinate, then you will need to express her bladder. That means you squeeze her tummy so she pees.

Here are a couple of videos that give the idea, I am not sure what size your dachshund is. When you handle her for anything, including to express her bladder, you want to be careful about giving her even support for her back so the injury can heal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saf_kZvwClE Expressing female dachshund into the toilet (1:25-1:40)

http://www.scoutshouse.com/videos/video_bladder.html

If you decide you really would prefer to do surgery, but can't afford it, you could apply for Care Credit, www.carecredit.com. It is a loan for emergency veterinary care and the terms are very good. However based on what you say, the crate rest sounds like it is a good option to try as long as she still has feeling.
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

Yes it is a herniated disk.

She is in a crate but it is a little bit small. She can almost lay straight but not quite. My neighbour probably has an extra one.

Her problem is that she has abandonment issues and moves around when in the crate. I have to stay away for about an hour before she stops crying and settles down.

I was actually watching expressing videos when you replied. I understand it but am not sure I feel comfortable trying it without being shown how. That first video is basically exactly how she is paralyzed and I found it inspiring. I feel that if we can make it a week we can do this. I know she is strong enough to make a full recovery, but I don't know if I am strong enough
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

Ok I just tried and couldn't figure it out, I'm going to see if I can get a demonstration at a vet
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You are absolutely right, the early days are a time of trying to figure out how to do everything, and after that it is easier. It gets easier for her, too. Right now she is surprised about the situation just like you are. But after a few days or a week of being crated, she will simply get used to it, and she will settle down better. When my dog was crated, he cried a lot for the first week, but after that he began to quiet down. Right now she needs to sleep a lot. I think your idea of a bigger crate sounds like a good idea, so she can lie straight.

A demonstration from the vet is also a good idea, that is what they recommend. The vet can show you how to put your hands and express her. Here is an article with many more videos at the end. The main thing you can learn from them is that there are many ways of emptying the bladder, so if one position does not work it may help to try another. You have to scroll to the bottom of the article to see the videos.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

Update: Molly is in a crate on plenty of meds. She is herself, just a lot more annoyed being confined. I went to the vet again tonight with my mom so that we could learn how to exercise her bladder if needed. The vet says she might have control over her bladder so we will see.

She is a super tough dog and I definitely think she will make it. Even if she never regains control, it won't stop her

Thanks you all so much for the encouragement!
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

Just wondering, were they eating normally during their first day of crate? Molly has only eaten the cheese with her pills, won't touch her food. I think it is because she is tired bit I'm not sure
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

What medication is she on? Some of them can affect the appetite. If she is on prednisone, they recommend giving a stomach protectant with it such as Pepcid ac. It is an inexpensive over-the-counter medication, your vet would know the dosage for her weight. Some of the pain relievers can also cause stomach upset. Here is a link to info on medications commonly given in these situations.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/drugs.htm

Personally I would not be too concerned as long as she is keeping her medication down, but you probably should report it to the vet tomorrow morning so he will know what's going on. If she isn't eating tomorrow you could try hand feeding, she may eat better if you give her food from your hand.
:angel:
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

CarolC wrote:What medication is she on? Some of them can affect the appetite. If she is on prednisone, they recommend giving a stomach protectant with it such as Pepcid ac. It is an inexpensive over-the-counter medication, your vet would know the dosage for her weight. Some of the pain relievers can also cause stomach upset. Here is a link to info on medications commonly given in these situations.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/drugs.htm

Personally I would not be too concerned as long as she is keeping her medication down, but you probably should report it to the vet tomorrow morning so he will know what's going on. If she isn't eating tomorrow you could try hand feeding, she may eat better if you give her food from your hand.
:angel:

She is on prednisone and pepsid.
She is keeping meds down just fine. Drinking plenty of water as well. Accepting treats of course! Will keep trying!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, that's good. :D Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory. If it was my dog, that is what I would want her on, too. When you talk to the vet tomorrow, you might want to discuss whether you think she needs a pain med on top of the prednisone? A recent disk injury can be uncomfortable, that may be part of why she didn't eat as well as usual. Many common pain meds are not safe to use with prednisone. They can interact and cause gastric ulcers, but the vet will know what is safe to give if you decide she needs something.
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

She is on a pain med and muscle relaxer in addition to the prednisone
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Good deal. Is it tramadol?
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

That sounds right
iamalion

Post by iamalion »

Update on Molly:

Molly is doing great! She is used to the box now and is no longer panicking. She is getting used to going potty outside using a sling to hold her up, and she is eating normally. Here is a pic of her from today after being outside: http://i.imgur.com/GBabPm0.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, she's a pretty girl. Glad to hear the good news!