lost for less than 24 hr and hit by a car.

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Doughnut55

lost for less than 24 hr and hit by a car.

Post by Doughnut55 »

My little angle doughnut went missing on March 25 at 1p.m and I found him March 26 at 3:00 p.m. I got a call from a lady who had seen him get hit by a car and picked him up from the street. When I rushed to go pick him up he was in deep shock and his back legs were not responding. I immediately took him to a near by vet and go blood work and x-rays done. His liver values were high and he has a dislocated back left leg. The x-rays did not show any sign of broken bones, but the vet said that can change within time. He is able to stand on all fours but cant walk much. Because his liver values were so high and the vet didn't know how his bones would react to popping the bone back in place was a good idea (surgery was an option as well but could not be done at the moment). His vet sent us home with medications - Prednisone 5MG, Famotidine 20 MG, Tramadol 50 Mg, and S-Adenosyl-100. He told me he needed to rest and see how he responds to the medication. He also told me he wants to see if he has spinal trauma, and maybe he would not ever be able to move his back legs and become paralyzed from the back.

March 26 night was his first night back home he woke up a couple of times and cried. In morning he got up on his own and drank water but that took most of his energy and collapsed. I was told to feed him boiled chicken, and he did have some throughout the day. In the middle of the day I started to worry because he had not peed or had a bowel movement. I rushed to the vet and they showed me how to express his bladder, which helped him because he did have a full bladder. Later that night he was able to pee on his own which made both of really happy.

March 27th in the morning he was very active, he woke up and got up on his own, he even limped over to my mothers room. Eventually he passed gas and had diarrhea (no blood). He was also able to pee on his own again. His appetite was not big i fed him boiled chicken but he didn't have much of it. He drank water throughout the day and again had tiny bits of chicken. At 6:00 p.m he finally had diarrhea again this time blood came out as well, I think I even saw a small blood clot. I immediately took him to the vet they did an ultrasound on his belly to see if everything was okay and his vet said everything looked normal. She said the blood could have been because of Famotidine 20 Mg, or when he got hit by a car damage could have happened in his intestines. At the end of our visit she requested for us to stop Famotidine and she added an anti-boiotic Metronidazole 250 Mg. Before heading home they also requested they should give him fluids sub cutaneous, so we did. He came home and peed did not have another bowel movement, had some chicken and took all his meds.

March 29th this morning 9:00 a.m he ate some chicken had some bread and was being active. I gave him all his meds and then he requested to go out and pee, no bowel movement again. He was very grouchy and went to his bed, he did not want me to pet him or even help him get up (when I saw him struggling). He kept trying to do it on is own and he eventually did and came to lay next to me. I was about to start eating and he looked hungry so I offered him his boiled chicken, he had a small plate of it, as well as water. His vet called to check up on how he was doing and her main concern was his loss of appetite. She said if it continued I had to bring him back down today so they can further examine him because it could be a serious problem.

Ive had my dog since he was 2 weeks old and he is turing 9 on Nov 7. I don't know what I will do if nothing seems to be helping him. Everyone keeps telling me he is suffering and I'm spending a lot of money but I feel there is still hope. I know he is hurting but it had only been 3 days since his accident. Any suggestions on what I can try feeding him other than chicken (he wont have cooked rice) so he can increase his appetite ? (he wont have his kibble and dislikes wet food)
CarolC

Re: lost for less than 24 hr and hit by a car.

Post by CarolC »

Doughnut55 wrote:My little angle doughnut went missing on March 25 at 1p.m and I found him March 26 at 3:00 p.m. I got a call from a lady who had seen him get hit by a car and picked him up from the street. When I rushed to go pick him up he was in deep shock and his back legs were not responding. I immediately took him to a near by vet and go blood work and x-rays done. His liver values were high and he has a dislocated back left leg. The x-rays did not show any sign of broken bones, but the vet said that can change within time. He is able to stand on all fours but cant walk much. Because his liver values were so high and the vet didn't know how his bones would react to popping the bone back in place was a good idea (surgery was an option as well but could not be done at the moment). His vet sent us home with medications - Prednisone 5MG, Famotidine 20 MG, Tramadol 50 Mg, and S-Adenosyl-100. He told me he needed to rest and see how he responds to the medication. He also told me he wants to see if he has spinal trauma, and maybe he would not ever be able to move his back legs and become paralyzed from the back.

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory, standard for possible spinal trauma, I would want my dog on it too. Famotidine is a stomach protectant often given with prednisone because prednisone can affect the GI tract even to the point of causing bleeding ulcers. Tramadol is a good pain medicine. The other med I don't know.

March 26 night was his first night back home he woke up a couple of times and cried. In morning he got up on his own and drank water but that took most of his energy and collapsed. I was told to feed him boiled chicken, and he did have some throughout the day. In the middle of the day I started to worry because he had not peed or had a bowel movement. I rushed to the vet and they showed me how to express his bladder, which helped him because he did have a full bladder. Later that night he was able to pee on his own which made both of really happy.

Sometimes they don't potty simply because they are sore and squatting or getting in the position is uncomfortable, it does not really sound like the not pottying was neurological but I don't know. Since he pottied later I'm guessing (I am not a vet) he was just holding it because he didn't feel like moving a lot. So that's good.

March 27th in the morning he was very active, he woke up and got up on his own, he even limped over to my mothers room. Eventually he passed gas and had diarrhea (no blood). He was also able to pee on his own again. His appetite was not big i fed him boiled chicken but he didn't have much of it. He drank water throughout the day and again had tiny bits of chicken. At 6:00 p.m he finally had diarrhea again this time blood came out as well, I think I even saw a small blood clot. I immediately took him to the vet they did an ultrasound on his belly to see if everything was okay and his vet said everything looked normal. She said the blood could have been because of Famotidine 20 Mg, or when he got hit by a car damage could have happened in his intestines. At the end of our visit she requested for us to stop Famotidine and she added an anti-boiotic Metronidazole 250 Mg. Before heading home they also requested they should give him fluids sub cutaneous, so we did. He came home and peed did not have another bowel movement, had some chicken and took all his meds.

This does not sound right to me, but again I am not a vet. Since famotidine is to protect the stomach I do not see why it would cause diarrhea. I would think the diarrhea is more likely caused either by the prednisone or stress/liver issues. Just to be safe, you might want to double check the instructions you were given on stopping famotidine. If the prednisone is causing stomach upset, then stopping famotidine might make it worse. (Again for the third time I am not a vet.) Here is some information on medications.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/drugs.htm (click the link on stomach protection to see famotidine)

By chance did they give him any kind of anti-inflammatory injections when he was at the vet? There are injectable steroids that are stronger than prednisone and can cause GI touble, too.

Here is some information on elevated liver values, which shows this can cause many of the symptoms you are seeing, but I don't know if the liver is the cause.

http://www.vetinfo.com/symptoms-of-elev ... yzmes.html

March 29th this morning 9:00 a.m he ate some chicken had some bread and was being active. I gave him all his meds and then he requested to go out and pee, no bowel movement again. He was very grouchy and went to his bed, he did not want me to pet him or even help him get up (when I saw him struggling). He kept trying to do it on is own and he eventually did and came to lay next to me. I was about to start eating and he looked hungry so I offered him his boiled chicken, he had a small plate of it, as well as water. His vet called to check up on how he was doing and her main concern was his loss of appetite. She said if it continued I had to bring him back down today so they can further examine him because it could be a serious problem.

Prednisone tends to make the dog hungry and thirsty. As long as he is eating a little, I would not be terribly concerned.

Ive had my dog since he was 2 weeks old and he is turing 9 on Nov 7. I don't know what I will do if nothing seems to be helping him. Everyone keeps telling me he is suffering and I'm spending a lot of money but I feel there is still hope. I know he is hurting but it had only been 3 days since his accident. Any suggestions on what I can try feeding him other than chicken (he wont have cooked rice) so he can increase his appetite ? (he wont have his kibble and dislikes wet food)

My dogs will never eat cooked rice either, even though that is what they always tell you. I think it's one of those things where you just try every kind of food you can think of, because what sounds good to one dog will not necessarily sound good to another. My dog would eat Milk Bones when she didn't want much else. I also fried some ground beef and patted the grease off and she liked that. Sometimes a dog will eat food out of your hand that he will reject if you just give him a bowl, so hand feeding may help. There is a vitamin paste called Nutri-Cal. You squeeze an inch of it onto your finger and let the dog lick it off. It has calories and vitamins and they seem to like it. There is also a canned food called Science Diet a/d that is made for dogs who are recovering from surgery or illness, it is expensive so you might want to try just one can first and see how he does. It is extra tasty and the good thing about it is they do not have to eat as much because it is dense with nutrients.

I agree with you, it is only 3 days, to me it sounds like in spite of everything this is not an extremely bad case and I agree with giving him time and TLC.

critters
Founding Member

Re: lost for less than 24 hr and hit by a car.

Post by critters »

There's a food called Recovery that's like a/d, but softer, that's ideal for feeding with a syringe, if necessary. It's a prescription food, but you should be able to get it at PetSmart. I think it's by Royal Canin, and many critters find it irresistible.