7 month old puppy with crushed pelvis

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Nicoleg

7 month old puppy with crushed pelvis

Post by Nicoleg »

Our 7 month old puppy was hit by a truck 3 weeks ago. Her pelvis was broke in 3 places on the right side and also breaks in the right hip joint. On the left side there were many breaks, the vet said "crushed" and "worst case senerio". The day she was hit our vet told us she would be crippled and he worried she could not go to the bathroom because of possible obstruction. He told us we needed to go home and talk as a family about our decision. Ruca has 4 kids, 2 other dogs and my husband and I who love her and we brought her home.
The first week was horrible. She cried in pain even with the meds. Second week was way easier with pain but she was just very unhappy. Now 3rd week... (She's been in a crate with the side up)She scooting herself out of the crate and dragging her self around the house. She even stands for a couple steps with out crying.
My question is at this point does she need to be in the crate and unable to move her self around? I'm worried about healing and would like to know time frames others have gone through for a "crushed pelvis" with a dog. We are ready once she can try to walk farther, we've purchased the harness to help wth taking her outside, but I'm not sure we should use it yet at this stage? We take her out for outside time on a little stretcher and she pulls herself off to the grass and just lays. She wants to be outside.
I need help with what is too much for her to do or for us to do with her right now. I keep yelling myself that since she has stood up on her own she will walk again. Anyone who has experience with this injury please advise..
She is a 7 month old catahula leopard we adopted from a rescue.
Thank you for any help!!!
Nicoleg

Re: 7 month old puppy with crushed pelvis

Post by Nicoleg »

Incase it wasn't clear.. When I wrote 4 kids I meant her human family kids, she has no pups
critters
Founding Member

Re: 7 month old puppy with crushed pelvis

Post by critters »

:whale: I had a cat with a crushed pelvis. I left her crated as long as she was willing, probably a couple of weeks or so. When she was ready, she was ready! I, too, was warned that there might not be enough room for her colon, but she had no problem with that. She was fine, if crooked, until she died some years later!