Severely depressed after three operations

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Jacqui

Severely depressed after three operations

Post by Jacqui »

Harry is a greyhound cross now around 8-10 years old. Unfortunately, on 25th August Harry was admitted by our local vet suffering what we thought to be a vestibular attack, after transferring to a veterinary referral clinic this has since been diagnosed as meningoencephalitis (a virus of unknown origin causing inflammation of the brain and vestibular symptoms) and is being treated with prednisolone at an immune suppressive dose.

Unfortunately, Harry then dislocated his hip and between the 12th and 19th September required three separate surgeries to deal with dislocations of the same hip. Following this he has (and is) also suffered from fluctuating temperatures requiring attention and acute renal failure although I am told his kidney values are now nearly normal. He is also being seen by a physiotherapist twice a week in addition to the care provided by the referral clinic.

Harry has been in veterinary care for five week now, and although he was able to stand prior to dislocating his hip, he can only attempt to walk with the aid of a sling and he does still knuckle. He has also lost the muscle in his hind leg. Understandably, since his last operation he has been very depressed and not eating well.

Harry has tried so hard to overcome the health problems he has encountered and I am desperate for ideas as to how to overcome his depression and get him back on the road to recovery.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Severely depressed after three operations

Post by critters »

:whale: Poor Harry really has had a time of it!

The first thing that comes to my mind is hydrotherapy (swimming). Is that possible? Personally, I'd also consider a wheelchair, which would let him get out and about without hurting himself. As he gets stronger, you could let his legs down--more like a walker, with the wheels taking some of his weight.
Jacqui

Post by Jacqui »

Sincere thanks for your reply. Your ideas are in line with mine.

I had great news this morning, Harry was brighter and actually stood. Unfortunately, I received a call later informing me that when doing tests the vet found that Harry's bladder had been pierced presumably by a catheter, explaining his temperature and him seeming so depressed and down. During the operation to repair his bladder his heart stopped and he died.

I feel devastated that after all he had gone through he died from something that could have been avoided with more care on the part of the veterinary nurses.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aw, I'm sorry. It's hard enough to lose them, never mind to negligence. :cry: