URGENT advice needed for cat with wounds/sores

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
catsrmylife

URGENT advice needed for cat with wounds/sores

Post by catsrmylife »

Hi

I guess i could have posted this in the incontinence section but it is pretty urgent in that we don't want things to deteriorate any further. This concerns a cat with hind limb paralysis in Bosnia. She was rescued and is being taken care of by the rescuer who loves her to bits. The kitty is being expressed 3-4 times per day but is dribbling a lot in the meantime. The wounds have gotten worse despite diapering, lots of washing, drying and using a drag sack. Vets are few and far between and not many who are sympathetic to special needs pets. Kitty has been on various antibiotics and has been given an ointment but nothing seems to do much good. There is a lot of necrotic tissue building up.

Bearing in mind that supplies are extremely hard to come by over there (I sent lactulose once as they don't even have that), can anyone please give detailed advice on what the rescuer could try?

For instance, should the necrotic tissue be removed and if so, how? Would cage rest be better to prevent dragging on the floor and making the wounds worse? What regime should be followed daily to ensure kitty is comfortable and clean and gives the wounds a chance to heal?

The last time kitty went to the vets, a blood sample was taken which showed a high leukocyte count but everything else was normal.

I've posted photos of the wound. We are trying to get kitty to the UK so she can receive better veterinary treatment. All advice gratefully received.

Thank you.
Attachments
Coco.jpg
Coco 08.10.14.jpg
Coco June.jpg
CarolC

Re: URGENT advice needed for cat with wounds/sores

Post by CarolC »

Hi,

I sent your link to BendyMom who is so good at this.
Here is a picture of a kitty she adopted who she got healed up.
Hopefully she will be by soon.
Butterbean_45.PNG
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

oh poor poor kitty.
wow, no supplies. there goes half of what i usually recommend.

first keep the cat OUT of the diaper. out out out and keep her out while this heals. I learned the hard way, many years ago with Legume, that diapers and irritated skin are a bad comibnation.
I would keep her in a crate with several layers of absorbant something to pull the moisture away from the skin.

can she get peroxide? that is a good way to clean off dead tissue. if it comes off easily then yes remove it.

glad she is expressing, makes sure she is getting bladder as empty as possible. then rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse with lots of water running over the whole area for several minutes. this will help clean it off and help irritation. make the water tepid, not really warm not really cold, too warm can aggravate that skin.

if she can do this several times a day that woudl be great. Can she get any kind of antibacterial wash? Chlorhex is what I use, or Hibiclens, but I have no idea what the equivalent is there. I dont know how vets work there either, if they coudl supply something liek a surgical scrub.

it needs to dry, it needs to air, it needs to be cool and clean.

this is beyond "diaper rash" and regular urine scald. I'm glad to hear she doesn't have an infection.
Getting her to the UK would be awesome if you can.

please keep us updated and don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'm not around here as much as I should be but I get an email when a PM comes in so I know to come right over.

good luck!!!!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oh, dear. The necrosis has to go, or it will foster infection. Hydrogen peroxide would be my choice, since it's cheap, doesn't hurt, should be effective, and may be available. Especially in cases like this, with limited resources, sugar has been used. I seem to recall somebody here on the board making a paste of povidone iodine and sugar to heal some kind of would; I wonder if peroxide and sugar would work together?