How long does it take for a dog to poop after hit by a car.

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
mtlcaranto

How long does it take for a dog to poop after hit by a car.

Post by mtlcaranto »

Hi, my 3+ year old chiweenie was hit by a card last Tuesday, May 5, 2015 and until now May 10, 2015, 5 days after, he still have not pooh-ed, though he is urinating (not much though because he don't drink water as much as before also as he is just lying all day and night).

When I bought him to the Animal Emergency Hospital right after the accident, the Vet suspects that his pelvic is broken and might need surgery. I brought him home against Vet advise that night because I can't afford the X-ray and surgery for him. The Vet gave him Tramadol and Carprohen which I am giving to him religously.

24 hours after the accident, he walk to my bedroom and after I brought him back to his bed, He do not stand up and walk again (yet). I can hear him whimper in pain when I carry him to change his pad. He is urinating everyday, eating well, and on a good mental awareness. I can say he is in a state before the accident minus the playfulness, jumping, walking and running. My only concern is that he is not defecating. Is this normal? I am afraid that he cannot pooh because he cannot stand-up to do so. If so, what should I do?
CarolC

Re: How long does it take for a dog to poop after hit by a c

Post by CarolC »

It is understandable after they are injured, they may not go because of inactivity, tension, medication, and like you say, not being able to stand up so they don't want to risk lying in it. 5 days is long enough. You could try stimulating him to eliminate. Here is an article that describes different ways to stimulate a dog to eliminate.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =5&t=18586

I would try the ice cube or q-tip method first. Put a puppytraining pad under his rear, stimulate him, and have a box of kleenex standing by so you can grab a bunch of kleenex and drop it over the waste as soon as he goes (takes care of the smell nicely). If you are not squeamish, a disposable glove and vaseline (insert a finger) can also be effective. He'll feel better once he goes, and you'll both rest easier.

I have used baby suppositories on my old dog. Right now I do not remember which brand it was (it's been a while), but check with your vet because some human suppositories contain products that are harmful to a dog, so it has to be the right kind.

There are also pet laxatives, and possibly your vet could give you just enough for a few days so it won't cost as much.

Hopefully stimulating him will get things moving and you won't have to worry about suppositories or laxatives. But if you do not have any luck, you may need to have his pelvis x-rayed. I know you said you needed to save money, it's just that some pelvic injuries can change the shape of the pelvis making it harder to pass waste. (However not pooing is common with all kinds of injuries that do not involve the pelvis, I'm just mentioning it.)

Care Credit is a loan for emergency veterinary care. Many vet offices accept it and even have the application at their reception desk. You fill it out and they let you know right away if you are approved. You pay it back monthly and last I heard the terms are good. You could ask the vet about Care Credit or read about it at http://www.carecredit.com.

:gang:
mtlcaranto

Post by mtlcaranto »

Hi Carol,

Thank you for your reply. As of today, I have tried the Poop on demand, ice cube and squeezing method but he still don't have bowel movement. I don't know if am not doing it right. Since his schedule to the Vet is not until Saturday, I would appreciate if somebody here can give me an idea what to give my pooch to help him pooh. The past 2 days, he's been standing up and walking though he's not using his back left leg but he can go to his pad to pee. So I am worried why is he not defecating for a week now. He been eating well but not as much as before the accident and since yesterday, I reduced the food I am giving him because he's not defecating. :(

UPDATE 7:45 PM TODAY

I got home from work and saw my pooch defecated today. Just wanted to share to the community, I doubled my pooch pain reliever Tramadol this morning because I think he can't push because of pain (I can see him shivering). I also gave him cold food and water yesterday in addition to rubbing ice cube and squeezing his behind.

Thank you for your help and helpful information.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Congrats on the poop! It's the little things that make us happy. :mrgreen:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It sounds good. I think a lot of times part of the problem is difficulty in squatting. If the dog needs to go and tries to squat and finds it is difficult or painful to assume the correct position, I think it can put him right out of the mood. I am glad he was able to.
:angel: