Kitten Unconscious

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
just_jen

Kitten Unconscious

Post by just_jen »

Hi everyone. I have a 4 week old kitten who got under foot this morning. There was no bleeding, but she immediately lost consciousness and I took her to my vet. He did an exam on her and she awakened a bit and tried to walk. He said she may have a head injury, and that I should continue feeding her and hopefully she would recover within 24-48 hours. She was very shaky and out of sorts. She seems to be more of in a stupor at this point. She won't open her eyes, but she will nurse from the bottle and eliminate when stimulated. She responds to touch and meows and purrs.

Has anyone ever had this experience with a kitten? Is there hope for recovery? Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I am just devastated that this happened.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Kitten Unconscious

Post by critters »

:slant: Is the baby taking a steroid? I'd really want that for awhile, and keep an eye out for seizures. Yes, there's hope for recovery. My Ares was eaten by a big cat "in the wild" when he was just a couple of days old. He got rather severe brain damage from either blood loss or a stroke, but now, 2 years later, he's functionally at about a moderate level. Your baby may start out deaf and/or blind, along with the rest, but most get at least some vision/hearing back. Talking, purring, pooping, peeing, and eating sound pretty good for now!

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 24-48 hour window because it's probably too fast, but I would certainly expect improvement over time.