NEED ADVICE: Neck and/or head injury - chihuahua

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Minnie

NEED ADVICE: Neck and/or head injury - chihuahua

Post by Minnie »

Roughly seven hours ago we had an accident with our chihuahua that resulted in her being unable to move really at all. Having to find an emergency vet, she thrashed around a couple of times before we left the house.. We were petrified that she broke her neck, but some X-rays revealed a what the vet called a hairline fracture in the skull (which we don't know if it was from tonight or a prior occasion) and a possible fracture of some sort at the very tip of her neck right below her skull. He used some sort of laser treatment alongside some anti inflammatory medicine and something that knocked her out cold for a while. Now she's up and clearly in discomfort, still unable to make intelligent movement but instead continues with a thrashing movement with her head. I'm terrified of her continuing to worsen the problem with these violent movements, but don't know what to do. He sent us home to see how she reacts tomorrow, claiming she could even start to gain the strength to begin walking again within days or weeks. After a mental test, he had confidence that she's still very with it.. Her pupils reacted and she pulled her hind legs back when provoked, but her front legs are concerning.. She seems now to be able to possibly(?) extend them while she's thrashing.. I just don't know what to do and I feel so awful for her. She's not making any noises other than occasional disrupted breathing (which really isn't that odd for her), but I don't know if she's even able to if she wanted to and that scares me. She's only 1.5 years old and has such a long, healthy life to live - I'm having the hardest time staying strong through this.. Please tell me someone has experience with this or advice.. Or even good words. I don't know what to do and I've already been up, trying to sleep on the floor with her for comfort.
Minnie

Re: NEED ADVICE: Neck and/or head injury - chihuahua

Post by Minnie »

Sorry guys, sleep deprived.. After talking with my boyfriend I remembered the vet ruled out the neck fracture and believes the issue to be in the skull and that the surrounding swelling is the root of the issue. Also, he sent us home with anti inflammatory medicine to give her once a day..
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: What's the med? The thrashing, really just uncoordinated movement, would fit with a brain injury. Is she eating and drinking (probably with help)? Pooping and peeing (again, even with help)?

I'd be sleeping with her, too, but we'd be in the bed and armed with pee pads and the works. :mrgreen:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I took a dog to the vet that was hit by a car and had a head injury. I am not a vet and my medical training is nil, but I had heard of mannitol for head injury on a TV show a million years ago or something. I actually asked the vet we took her to about mannitol but got little response. We had taken her to the closest vet to where she was hit and they are an established, and as far as I know respected, vet clinic, but they did not do a lot. Due to the time of day and need to have the dog watched overnight we transferred the dog to the emergency vet. It can be hit or miss with the emergency vet depending who is on duty but we were fortunate and a really really good doctor was on duty. She started the dog on mannitol. I am only telling this story NOT because I have enough medical knowledge to know whether mannitol would help your dog or not, but because it did help the dog I'm telling you about and the first vet we took her to did not use it. I am wondering if it is a medication that is not used on an everyday basis so some clinics, including good clinics, may not keep it on hand, so they just work with what they have when you bring the dog in.

That was a long story. I think the real message is, if you can get your dog into a major medical center or referral hospital, not just your normal vet, they will have resources that your vet (who may be perfectly good) may not have. I don't know what anti-inflammatory they gave her. If you can afford the vet bill I think I would try to get her admitted for treatment and observation. Then you will know you are doing the best you can for her.

If the bills get too high, check into Care Credit, which is a loan for emergency veterinary care. Your regional hospital will know about it and may have the application on hand at their reception desk. It is quick and you find out if you are approved right away.

I'm just thinking, especially with this being a chihuahua, the more I think about it the more I would want her hospitalized. They can easily get hypoglycemic from not eating but the vet can prevent that. Chihuahuas are sometimes prone to seizures even without head injury, and the vet could monitor for that. I would get her admitted if you possibly can.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Minnie how is it going?
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

As much as it breaks my heart to say this, we lost our lil Minn on Tuesday night. She was eating and drinking (with syringe help) just fine. She started to reject water just before letting go. Her behavior became highly uncharacteristic (even considering the circumstance) and my boyfriend knew.. I was at work for just a couple of hours while she was with him.. He held her and eased her into it - she went without pain. My chest feels so heavy that this had to happen. She was such a happy pup and all she ever did was love us. My heart is broken in a million pieces.. I wish this wasn't how it ended.
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

As much as it breaks my heart to say this, we lost our lil Minn on Tuesday night. She was eating and drinking (with syringe help) just fine. She started to reject water just before letting go. Her behavior became highly uncharacteristic (even considering the circumstance) and my boyfriend knew.. I was at work for just a couple of hours while she was with him.. He held her and eased her into it - she went without pain. My chest feels so heavy that this had to happen. She was such a happy pup and all she ever did was love us. My heart is broken in a million pieces.. I wish this wasn't how it ended.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm sorry for your loss. I wish it could have turned out differently. :(
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry: