Dog in wheelchair walking backwards

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
jasminepaneva

Dog in wheelchair walking backwards

Post by jasminepaneva »

Hello everyone, my family and I have a mini schnauzer that got a mite infection recently and it spread to her brain and paralyzed her back legs. We have been doing different treatment since, but have made her a custom wheelchair so she can still walk around. Trouble is, ever since we got it, when she is put into it she would only walk backwards, as if it is easier for her. She rarely ever walks forward and if she does it appears to be very tiring for her. Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone have any ideas or insights what could the reason(s) be? Any help would be gladly appreciated! Thank you!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dog in wheelchair walking backwards

Post by critters »

:slant: Bobbie and others will probably be along shortly, but I expect it's part of the learning process. How long has she been using her wheels? How old is she? I would let her build up stamina slowly. As for going forward, food or treats might entice her to figure out how to do it; maybe backwards IS easier for her for some reason.
jasminepaneva

Post by jasminepaneva »

critters wrote::slant: Bobbie and others will probably be along shortly, but I expect it's part of the learning process. How long has she been using her wheels? How old is she? I would let her build up stamina slowly. As for going forward, food or treats might entice her to figure out how to do it; maybe backwards IS easier for her for some reason.
She's had it for a few days now, maybe a week? And she's 9 years old. Food rarely does the trick as she's lost her apetite but she does walk forward when a family memeber is going back home or when we say the word for taking her outside which she recognises. I think it might have to do with her not being able to find the balance because her tail is also paralyzed. How long do you think it should take for her to find her balance and learn to walk in the wheels?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I have no idea. I hoped Bobbie would be able to answer that.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

critters wrote:I have no idea. I hoped Bobbie would be able to answer that.
Still hoping! :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:D