HELP!! My dog got hit by a car and I need advice!

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Daysie

HELP!! My dog got hit by a car and I need advice!

Post by Daysie »

My dog got hit by a car on Saturday, she has been at the vets ever since. She's a 2 year Golden. She sustained multiple injuries including both hind legs dislocated. Her right is worse than the left, her right front leg elbow was dislocated which she has had surgery to correct all of these. Poor thing is covered in road rash and lost half her gum line. The vet told us today that if her rectal tone doesn't come back that she is probably never going to be able to bare weight on her hind legs and that we pretty much should put her down because of all of this. I don't want to give up on her but she looks so sad. I know that animals adapt very well. I'm more worried that she only has one good leg. I just need some kind of advice! I feel like if she wanted to give up she would have by now so why should I give up on her! She is such a great dog, and she's my fur-baby.
CarolC

Re: HELP!! My dog got hit by a car and I need advice!

Post by CarolC »

I agree that with just having only one good leg right now, you have a challenge until the other front leg has a chance to heal from surgery. The thing that will help you most right now I think is to get the very best total support harness you can find. You need to be able to support both her front and her rear, because you are going to be moving her around, for example onto a fresh blanket, out to the car, etc. I don't know if you can carry her, is she really heavy? My golden was 63 lbs but he was a boy.

Here are links to some to consider:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-l ... bo-harness
http://www.handicappedpets.com/heavy-du ... rt-harness
http://helpemup.com/

If you are trying to save money, you could probably manage by buying (or making) a rear harness and just use a standard nylon chest harness on the front, so you still have something to grab front and rear.

Really, a lot of the reason she looks sad is just from being banged up and feeling sore all over, so I think a good pain medication would help a lot. If she has no anal tone, does that mean she is incontinent? That can definitely be handled, many pets here are dual incontinent. If she has no control over her poop or pee right now, there is information on how to handle that, please ask if you want links.

If she needs help recovering from the dislocated hips, possibly a wheelchair would help. You can adjust a wheelchair so the dog can walk with the hind feet on the ground but it takes some of the weight off, making rehab easier.

I agree, if she was my dog I would be giving it time and not giving up. I think it's going to be some work for a while, a lot of stress for you and a lot of effort, but it is worth it.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask, chances are someone here has dealt with the same issues.

For right now, I would focus on getting a total support harness.
And the other thing will be keeping her clean and dry, please ask if you have issues in this area.

:group: