Psychological Aspects of Amputation

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
m3m3m3mmm@yahoo.com

Psychological Aspects of Amputation

Post by m3m3m3mmm@yahoo.com »

Our Lab mix was hit by a car and subsequently has had a rear leg amputated and also is recuperating from 2 pelvis fractures. She seems to be depressed and very self conscious. Making matters worse, we have 5 other rescue dogs & 2 cats that were her playmates but now are terrified to be any where close to her. She is our 18 year old daughter's absolute love of her life. Any advise?!
CarolC

Re: Psychological Aspects of Amputation

Post by CarolC »

I think it will get better. There is not usually any longterm change in the friendships among pets when one has an amputation. There could be a change in pack structure perhaps. I wonder if she has hospital smells on her, and if it would help if your family would pet her a lot or even wipe her down with a damp towel. Partly the other pets are probably reacting to the general upset atmosphere in the home, which something like this understandably causes. And perhaps they will take their cue from you, if you treat her more like she's still her normal self. It's going to get better. Dogs do fine on 3 legs, she just needs time to recover.

In the meantime, you might want to look around your home and see if you have any slippery floors that are going to be difficult for her. Area rugs or carpet runners would help.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: How long ago was it? I agree with Carol. Tripods are usually "wonky light," and really aren't disabled. I consider them disfigured instead because they can do anything anybody else can do; they're just noisier--a tripod running through the house sounds like a herd of elephants!! :D I wonder if she's still painful from all the injuries, making her more depressed. If she's "older" she also has some adjusting to do; tripods have to learn to put the remaining limb more to the midline (middle) of their bodies for balance, for instance. Your other furs might be concerned about her because she moves differently and is probably a lot clumsier right now; even mine get their whiskers in a twist sometimes about things like that, and they're far used to siblings who look or act differently; most of them look and/or act differently themselves! They aren't always understanding of being crashed on, kicked, etc., though.
m3m3m3mmm@yahoo.com

Post by m3m3m3mmm@yahoo.com »

Thank you both so much, you were both exactly right in EVERY PIECE OF ADVICE! That's amazing! She no longer smells of betadine, which made the others much less apprehensive but they are still very concerned and gentle with her. It took a while before she was comfortable with her wound being exposed but now is no big deal. Ironically, we seem to be one step ahead of her; we made a wheelchair and she started walking on her own the next day, we ordered booties because we have no carpet at all and once the came in she had just started walking on our floors. I think she means sooo much to us that we are overreacting to everything. We are much more confident in her abilities now. Thank you both so much for your spot on advice!!! :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Glad she's doing better!