4yo F Cat not urinating or pooping day 6

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Melissa.cain2014

4yo F Cat not urinating or pooping day 6

Post by Melissa.cain2014 »

Hello, My 4yo cat was lethargic and not eating or using the rr, we saw this and brought her back inside. She continued on this route. I checked her out no temp and her color on gums, paws and ears were fine with pretty good blood flow. She was not acting strange or straining to use her box. Her back leg seemed to be a bit weak, but I know that can happen w Lethargic cats. We took her to the vet had some blood work done and got her some fluids. Her blood work came back fine w kidney, liver and I think white blood cont. I fed her some wet cat food AD science hills and have hooked her up on fluids again last night. She is not longer lethargic and but is not moving much but It looks like she is just uncomfortable from not releasing her fluids of waste. She has urinated a few times in the 5 days but very little but is not straining or crying out. She seems to be in a good mood this week as well. I know her kidneys and bowels are full I can feel it. I was sent home w an antibiotic and we are on the morning of day two w that. I was given tat because her count was up just a little from not urinating.

Please help!!!
CarolC

Re: 4yo F Cat not urinating or pooping day 6

Post by CarolC »

It sounds like she might benefit from an enema at the vet. If that does not get things moving she may need to be disimpacted under anaesthesia. If she is full of feces and it stays in her colon, not only does it begin to dry out and become harder to pass, but it begins to release toxins into her system that can eventually be fatal. I'm not sure the bowel is the problem but it is a place to start. Some people have done enemas at home, usually they recommend having the vet do it. If I was doing one at home I would probably just use warm water, you can't be sure any human products or baby products are safe for cats (including the ingredients in suppositories). You can sometimes find instructions for pet enemas on the Internet and they used to tell you to use a certain brand of detergent in the water but I would not do that, you never know when the company might reformulate the product and it might become unsafe.
Melissa.cain2014

Thank you, Yes we did an emema of warm water..The first one I got abt 1ml of warm water in her and she disposed of a pea sized fecal I did this again and same thing another pea size fecal. I have given er a break. I am just confused as to why is is not urinating either. We are not able to afford another visit to the vet. I dont know what else to do besides keep her hydrated and food in her. I have done so much research and can not find anything pertaining to cat not urinating or having a bowel movement.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but there was a cat here several years ago who could not urinate, but was able to immediately after the constipation was relieved. Apparently the bulk of the fecal mass was interfering with urination. I could have sworn I bookmarked the topic, but I have checked bookmarks twice and I don't see it. I don't expect I will be able to find it again because the search words needed would apply to half the posts on this board. :wink: I'll look a little more, but other than memory I'm not sure I can find it again.
Melissa.cain2014

Thank you, so much! No worries I will just hope that this is the issue. I am goin to try again this evening a few times and hope for a bit more relief.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, it's great you got a little bit out. Good deal. This could be a case where she has many inches of stool backed up, so hopefully you can get more.

You did not mention noticing any issues with her tail, I don't think. I am assuming she is carrying her nail normally and has normal use of it?

Hopefully it won't be needed, but if you really get to where you have to take her to the vet again, there is something called Care Credit where you can get a loan for emergency veterinary care. The terms are good and many vets have the application in their waiting room. You find out if you qualify right away. Most of the people I know who have applied were approved.
Melissa.cain2014

Thank you, yes her tail is good...I took her in again this morning my vet worked with me, Thankfully! She urinated in her crate after the vet was messing w her bladder..lol we still dont know what is wrong w her but she seems to be getting better. We got a good stool last night w another water E. Vet gave her a steroid shot hoping that will get her eating and drinking on her own. We will see how it goes! Thanks again for your advice!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm wondering if she has a mild spinal cord injury, such as a tail pull. It would all fit.