spinal injury...one day left to poop

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
kitty_hope

spinal injury...one day left to poop

Post by kitty_hope »

Any advice welcomed... Nothing mean and putting down not an option im trying to save her not kill her. That said...I am hoping for the best vet said worst case scenario is front legs not working on a 6 week old kitten i wrestled from a dogs mouth. Shes on pain meds and cant walk but her back legs are okay vet said we both notice the front left one not moving. Shes eating but has 2 days to poop before can be cleared he is hoping is only a bruised spine xray showed no broken bones but she cries when she moves. Vet said she will for sure live but front keg movility uncertain. Any advice is welcomed it breaks my heart that she cant get up when she tries. Shes safe inside now and i work at home so...she will always have me near...i pray she walks again.
Shes on buprenorphine a 6 day supply then i guess we will go back to vet allthough he said ten days but i dont want her in pain she obviously was before meds and now seems frustrated only when cant get up she peed yesterday but no poo and vet tech said needs to poo by monday to be over final hurdle and just heal. Any way to help her poop the vet suggested a laxitone lacative that i cant find anywhere and theyre out...said give her til monday would a syringe of water up the bum help? Any emergency way i can help on my own since she waa s sent home on a wait and see? And a week of pain meds for her not walking seems like not enough should i get a second opinion when meds run out? He said hopes for bruised spine...and that bc shes so small hes hopeful of a recovery but the left frony leg is def not as mobile as rest but she stretches back legs and eats and moves head n right arm.... But folds onto aide and will not stand. Soo sad. My Hope.
kitty_hope

Re: spinal injury...one day left to poop

Post by kitty_hope »

:angel: any advice from a sinilar situation will help ive alot of kitten knowledge but ive been fortunate to never have a health issue other than a cold or eye goo so if any spinal injusy experience any advice or story is welcome.
kitty_hope

Post by kitty_hope »

she pooped! im so happy!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oh good!! Is she taking a steroid? That's important. Have they shown you how to express poop and pee for her? You really need to know that. Frankly, I don't trust a vet who gives ultimatums like "2 days," and I'd take her someplace else. Not every vet is willing to deal with handicappers, and you may well have to "kiss some toads" before you find a good one.
kitty_hope

Post by kitty_hope »

Regular vet wasn't there because it was late on a Saturday so I had to go to an emergency vet who you are right. didn't really seem to like want to give her much of a chance...mentioned putting down and i said give her back to me.... but my vet contradicted everything he said ....he said sounds like she's doing really really good I've now been speaking with my regular vet and she can army crawl into the litter box she just can't get out of it..... we're going to give her another 8 days until I go up there and have her xrays again because it's looking like she might walk by then she is able to roll over and crawl a few feet then gives up n lays down or wabbles over onto side and i pick her up i dont let her try too hard.....and she's going to let me know when she needs to be set in the litter box she meows and if wont take food always reaches toward litter or toward me... she lifts up her little arms like pick me up and I hold or she moves toward litter and if i set her in it she goes. Shes finally lapping water i was syringing it...always has ate well and pee n poop comes out twice a day now ...with no veg oil on tuna used in two days bc my vet said see if can go without it...so shes only on pain meds now and a lower dose...i really think my Hope will at least crawl...she plays allll day and kisses my lips n bites my nose i am sooo in love with her.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

This all sounds promising!
FYI

Post by FYI »

kitty_hope wrote:she can army crawl into the litter box she just can't get out of it.....
http://www.amazon.com/Litter-PuppyGoHer ... 1454343500
kitty_hope

Post by kitty_hope »

:thankyou: shea such an angel! She is pouncing but still doeant use left front arm so when walks falls over but pounces a bit.... Shes a happy playful kitty and im glad shes always purring and happy. My Hope
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I wonder if a splint would help the arm? It could be a brachial nerve injury, which is quite common. HP has terrific splints, and they hold the arm in the position of function while the nerve heals.