4year old Manx - can no longer urinate or defecate

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Peggyt

4year old Manx - can no longer urinate or defecate

Post by Peggyt »

I have a 4 year old Manx (not pure bred - shelter kitty) that I have had since he was 6 weeks old. He has never been wonderful at finding the litter box but he is love bug and cuddles and purrs. Two weeks ago he quit being able to urinate or defecate. My vet says a nerve has died that provides the contractions for elimination and it is common with Manx kitties. I drove him 4 hours to a feline neurologist who says all I can do is express the bladder and bowel daily. Easier said than done. I live alone, I have some neuropathy in my hands and he is a young and active cat. I keep trying. Every other day I take him to my local vet to be expressed. I know they are thinking I should put him down but he is still so active and plays. He loves food, even his new prescription stuff. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions or advice welcomed.
critters
Founding Member

Re: 4year old Manx - can no longer urinate or defecate

Post by critters »

:whale: So you can't express him because of your neuropathy? Is he a leaker, so that he needs diapers? Expressing tends to be the best way, but there are loads of ways to express. Have you seen the sticky posts on the incontinence board? This is one. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027 Cats with Paralysis, at Facebook, is a good place, especially if you decide to rehome him. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatsWithParalysis/