Incontinent dog. Stroke 3 days ago.

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Indy

Incontinent dog. Stroke 3 days ago.

Post by Indy »

My 7 year old McNabb had a stroke 3 days ago. She had her first bowel movement yesterday morning. Now is seems to just keeps oozing out. I just can't seem to get it under control. She is so raw and swollen. We keep cleaning it it off and drying her. I have added pumpkin to her diet, used water to spray at her sphincter to encourage a full movement, tried to massage her sphincter to get it to come out enough that she can have some time without it oozing. I am feeling so bad for her, and so inadequate to deal with her new issues. We are getting the bladder compression under control with practice. I just can't keep watching her suffer with such a swollen and raw bottom. Any help for the owner of a newly disabled pet?
CarolC

Re: Incontinent dog. Stroke 3 days ago.

Post by CarolC »

:welcome: The situation you describe is not a routine part of having a paralyzed pet (or pet with neurological deficits). Her stools should be the same quality when she is paralyzed as they were before. Has there been a change of diet? Did they put her on any kind of medication? Did they give her any steroid shots or put her on steroids like prednisone? Steroids can do a number on the digestive system in some dogs, even to the point of causing bleeding ulcers or perforation. They recommend using a GI protectant such as Pepcid a/c when the dog is on steroids. You certainly have my sympathy when you are already dealing with this unexpected situation, and then loose stools on top of it. But really, that is not the norm, something must be causing it, it is not part of paralysis. Another idea is, was she hospitalized for a few days and perhaps got very stressed out? Is she high strung? If so, perhaps it could be pancreatitis? I don't know. I would recommend calling the vet tomorrow morning and see if they can give you something for it. It sounds like you are doing everything right as far as home care.
:angel:
Indy

Post by Indy »

Thank you. Vet is doing doggie daycare for me until I cam make other arrsngements. I will have my husband check with her when he drops her off.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: You may need a skin protector until things are under control. Cavilon spray was devised for humans with ostomies, and it lasts a long time (like days). It does best sprayed directly on skin, not on hair.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Thanks for the info. Seriously need to get some tomorrow. She is partially shaved so we can help clean and protect skin. This will help a lot.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

How do you like it?
GSDLover

Post by GSDLover »

My new go-to for firm stools is banana! I still give them pumpkin, but the banana is a game changer.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Love the spray. She is healing up so quick. She is getting her good spirits back faster now too.
Going to try the banana tomorrow instead of the pumpkin. She will like that better.
She took to the wheelchair almost immediately. She seems to be having better stools just from the added exercise. Trying to get her on a schedule.
Everyone is so much help here. Better info from here than any of the vets so far. Her vet has been a lot of help for her. Not so much for us.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Honestly, in my experience just having a vet who's willing to work with a handicapper is a VERY good thing! Not all of them want to be bothered. Glad you like the spray! I expect you'll find many uses for it as time goes by, to prevent skin breakdown from lots of causes, such as dragging toes, etc. I think it's nice that it doesn't have to be cleaned off and reapplied as often as many others.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I would not give too much banana to an incontinent dog simply because of the sugar. I imagine the dog would enjoy it once in a while. It's just that sugar can contribute to a UTI, which I found by experience. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4092