Help Please, vet didn't help & my cat won't poop

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
LisaLovesAnimals

Help Please, vet didn't help & my cat won't poop

Post by LisaLovesAnimals »

So Sat. my cat ate about a foot to two of curling ribbon I'm like 9-10 times sure, I rushed her within the hour to the vet who gave her 3 meds to try & throw up the ribbon however she refused to throw up. She pooped a little on me that day driving home & has not pooped since. I gave her 1/8 teaspoon Sun. morning & Sun. night of miralax, still nothing. Mon. morning I gave her 1 teaspoon canned pumpkin, & all day nothing but a little urine so that afternoon I took her to a new vet (rated 5 stars from 75 people on google) they did a rectal exam & all was fine, no constipation, blockage, stool was soft & is right there the vet said she will poop anytime, so the vets did nothing again but a urine test for urine tract infection, which I will have the results if later today (I dought it's a urine tract infection as she's peeing). Here we are now on the 3rd day (Tues.) & she still has not pooped. "Vet said not to give her nothing more since she not clooged up" however shes bow 3 days not pooping. HELP PLEASE!

Should I keep giving her miralax? If so how much?

Should I keep giving her the teaspoon everyday of canned pumpkin (NOT PIE)?

I read of the warm bath, but how do I do that? Bath her whole body? Warm water stryange up her anal? Please further explain in detail for me how to give a warm bath to help her poop?

Anything else I can do?

Anything pacific I should tell the vet to do?

How long should I wait before taken her to another vet?

How long can a cat survive without pooping?

Shes 2 years old on April 17 at 10.1 lbs

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!
CarolC

Re: Help Please, vet didn't help & my cat won't poop

Post by CarolC »

I have no personal experience with this. I sent an email to someone who might have more actual knowledge and am hoping they will post.

Did the vet tell you what you should do if the ribbon starts to appear? I have heard two different things. I originally read that the right thing to do was to be very careful and gentle about pulling it because it is in the intestines, but later I read a story of a vet who treated a cat for such a situation and he was not careful about pulling it, so I do not know how careful you need to be, I think you might need to ask the vet for guidance in preparation for when it starts to appear. It is possible if it comes out partway she may try to run away from it, if it does not all come out and is hanging from her rear.

Did you also look everywhere, under the sofa and behind the cushions and under the fridge and under the bed, etc., to see if the ribbon is there? This website says you can give one Tablespoon of pumpkin a day for a cat up to 10 lbs, that would be 3 Teaspoons. (Thanks to Sasha's Mom for posting the website previously. :) )

http://nummytumtum.com/products-2/organic-pumpkin/
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

three days without pooping is a long time, I have delt with many poop issues, i have cats with megacolon. soemtimes they get very constipated but do not vomit. that ribbon is dangerous and can literally tie up the intestines.
I would be demanding an x-ray to see what is going on. if the x-ray looks ok, then no worries, but you don't want to wait until the cat is actually in pain and vomiting.
miralax is good, canned food with a little veggie oil (like a half teaspoon) will help. you can always call the vet and explain that you want an x-ray, and ask them to show it to you and explain it to you. in my experience good vets have no problem educating their clients.

good luck!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
LisaLovesAnimals

Hi CarolC,

Thank You FIR responding. Good & bad news, she did poop ALOT however there was no ribbon anywhere in it. My hubs & I searched the hoise eberywhere the ribbon is gone. I did ask the vet of also the ribbon & she said as long as she's eatting, nothing to do unless she starts puking or stop eatting. The ribbon can take 1-2 weeks before you will see if it's doing any damage or to bypass & if I see anything before to just being her back. I will continue giving her the pumpkin to.ortow as well if she don't poop again. Thanks!
LisaLovesAnimals

Hi Bendymom,

Thanks for the help. She did poop today yayyyyy & 3 vets have informed me doing a X-ray now will show nothing sincebribbon will not come up on the xrays, they only know if the ribbon is interfering with there intestines by if they seem bumched upin the images or internal bleeding & if that was the case shebe vomiting. So if she's not vomiting more likely nothing is going to appear yet? However although 3 vets told me this I'm still thinking to do the x-ray now instead of waiting.
I will contact the vet & bring it up again as well do the food with oil. I read somewhere also keeping her insides lubricated is good to help the ribbon bypass.
Thanks much for the help. Will keep everyone updated. I know last time this happen she was puking within the next day. So I'm kind of questioning the ribbon however I am still like9 out of 10 times sure.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

the x-ray would show if the intestines were being bound up, is what i was thinking.
very glad to hear she pooped. hpefully things will be ok now.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.