Hind leg contractions and twitching in paralyzed dog

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
rkane

Hind leg contractions and twitching in paralyzed dog

Post by rkane »

What could it possibly be when my paralyzed dog suddenly is panting, whining, sitting up, and has uncontrollable twitching and contractions in his legs? His tail is pumping up and down too. He was making progress but now unsure if it is a reaction to tramadol or gabapentin. FYI...he was only on tramadol for two days and has been off it for 5 but nothing has changed. The vet is stumped
CarolC

Re: Hind leg contractions and twitching in paralyzed dog

Post by CarolC »

It sounds like he is needing to eliminate and is distressed (panting whining) that he is either going to be sitting on it or he is going to be in trouble for doodling in the house. Kicking the legs and the tail going up and down like a pump handle are signs of needing to defecate in my dog. Can you take him outside and see if he will go in the grass? Also, when you pick him up, if he is that close to needing to go he may drop a few road apples on the way out the door. Have you tried holding him over the toilet and pinching his bottom to see if you can stimulate him to eliminate, so he will not be distressed when Nature calls and he is in his bed?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Hind leg contractions and twitching in paralyzed dog

Post by critters »

Hmm. 2 out of 4 of my SCI boys have done that, but mostly while they're asleep. Ace will literally throw himself out of the bed with the spasms.