Front leg paralysis

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Cathyg

Front leg paralysis

Post by Cathyg »

My cat has not been able to walk with his front legs in a week. The first coup,e days were better than now though. I took him to emergency vet last Saturday and started him on an antibiotic and steroid. He has only gotten worse. He didn't eat for a few days although I did get him to eat a little tuna last night and this morning. I'm trying time find out if anyone can tell me the chances of a recovery.
CarolC

Re: Front leg paralysis

Post by CarolC »

It would be hard to predict how he may do without really knowing what is causing it. Did the vet say anything about what s/he thinks is causing it? Do you know if your cat has had an injury of some kind, or does he have any bite marks or other history that might help explain what is going on? It is pretty unusual to have paralysis in the front legs. It sounds like it would be worthwhile to take him for additional evaluation as soon as possible. Paralysis can be caused by trauma, but also by various diseases. Is he up to date on his rabies vaccination? Does he have any other symptoms like watery eyes or weight loss?
Cathyg

Post by Cathyg »

The vet said spinal disease or tumor on the spine. X-ray didn't show anything. No bites and he is an indoor outdoor cat so I'm not sure if he was hurt while outside. After he has taken the steroid he can walk for a bit. That what throws me off on if he can get better or not. No watery eyes or loss of weight yet but he isn't eating very well. Also his paws are warm.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It is very encouraging if he can walk a bit while taking the steroid. It kind of makes it seem there might be some swelling somewhere along the spinal cord that is subsiding due to the steroid, and if that is the case, that would be good. Is he urinating normally? If he is retaining urine, that can lead to a urinary infection. Often pets with paralysis will lose the ability to urinate normally (in which case we step in and help them). The idea that his paws are warm does make me wonder if there is some kind of infection, whether urinary or something else. However if he is still on the antibiotic, I'm not sure what to think. What antibiotic is he on, amoxicillin?
Cathyg

Post by Cathyg »

I think it is Amoxicilan.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, although not every urinary infection responds to amoxicillin, in my experience that is the first medication the vet tries when a urinary infection is suspected, so it seems less likely he would have a UTI if he is already on amoxicillin. Do you notice any change of color or odor in his urine? Is he urinating often enough and a normal amount? Have you tried feeling his abdomen to see if you can tell if his bladder is full? Does he have the ability to move his hind legs and tail? Is it only his front legs that are affected?
Cathyg

Post by Cathyg »

Yes just front and I guess he is urinating because I was going to take him out but sat down with him and he went all over me. It stunk but I think like normal.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, glad it smells pretty normal. It sounds like you might need to put him in a litter box several times a day to give him a chance to go, or maybe you are doing that already. Maybe then he will go in the box and not wet on you. When a cat has to lie down in the litter box, it needs to be a bigger size of litter box and very clean. A good way to get a really big litter box is to go to Home Depot or Lowes and in the section where they sell cement and mortar they sell big black boxes that look like giant litter boxes. They are very strong and affordable. Hopefully if you put him in the giant litter box he will understand it is time to potty.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Blac ... /205451585
box.jpg
If you think he does not have the ability to urinate voluntarily the thing to do is help him by squeezing his tummy so he pees. It is called expressing the bladder. Here is a very good video showing one way to do it. I will give a link with other videos at the end of the article (you have to scroll to the end of the article to see other videos, they are also very helpful).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027
Cathyg

Post by Cathyg »

Good idea!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Is it ONLY the front that's paralyzed? NOT the back? I agree about expressing. :lol: Yeah, cat pee is pretty nasty stuff even when it's not infected!
Cathyg

Post by Cathyg »

He has been walking for a couple days now so hopefully he is going to be ok. He isn't very active yet though.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I wouldn't let him be "too" active, but cats are often pretty good about stuff like that.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It is great to hear there is some improvement!