Dog unable to move hind legs after being hit by car

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
nikkimac

Dog unable to move hind legs after being hit by car

Post by nikkimac »

Hello, i live in the Caribbean island of Trinidad, i own a 6 month dog that was hit by a car last night, fortunately the driver didn't completely run him over and was compassionate enough to get out the vehicle and call for help. Socks was stuck under the vehicle alive but scared. We took him out and brought him home. He suffered a few minor scrapes to his front legs and a bruise to his stomach around his groin. He is unable to move his hind legs and keeps trying with his front legs to stand. He moves his head around to see us and cries a bit when he hears us but cant move.

Here in Trinidad vets are hard to come by and don't usually help you save your animal also i am not in a financial situation where i can afford to take him to a vet. I would appreciate it if you can tell me if there is any hope that Socks will eventually recover the use of his legs? I know that without a vets primary analysis of the situation a positive conclusion is hard to come by but im hopeful that from my description of the situation someone here can help or tell me what to do. He's a a playful dog really mischievous and actively always in trouble. I miss him already
CarolC

Re: Dog unable to move hind legs after being hit by car

Post by CarolC »

nikkimac wrote:Hello, i live in the Caribbean island of Trinidad, i own a 6 month dog that was hit by a car last night, fortunately the driver didn't completely run him over and was compassionate enough to get out the vehicle and call for help. Socks was stuck under the vehicle alive but scared. We took him out and brought him home. He suffered a few minor scrapes to his front legs and a bruise to his stomach around his groin. He is unable to move his hind legs and keeps trying with his front legs to stand. He moves his head around to see us and cries a bit when he hears us but cant move.

Here in Trinidad vets are hard to come by and don't usually help you save your animal also i am not in a financial situation where i can afford to take him to a vet. I would appreciate it if you can tell me if there is any hope that Socks will eventually recover the use of his legs? I know that without a vets primary analysis of the situation a positive conclusion is hard to come by but im hopeful that from my description of the situation someone here can help or tell me what to do. He's a a playful dog really mischievous and actively always in trouble. I miss him already
Yes, you are right, it is hard to answer without more information. But going only on what is known, the answer is it is possible he could recover the use of his legs. He may have bruising of the spine that will improve with time. Since he is young, that is in his favor. He might have a better chance if you could get him some medication for the inflammation and bruising, such as prednisone.

If he has a more severe injury, such as a fracture, it may take longer, but even some dogs with a broken back and no feeling in their feet can learn to walk again with a lot of training. There is something called spinal walking, where dogs learn to move their hind legs using a reflex that is caused by movement of the front legs, and it does not depend on having feeling in the hind feet.

Also, if he does not recover the ability to walk, he can still be a very happy, playful dog in a wheelchair, the same dog you know and love. You do not have to buy an expensive wheelchair, people have made them at home on a budget using pieces of scrap materials or PVC pipe. But the wheelchair will have to wait until he after he has had his full term of crate rest, so you have a couple of months to think about that. Hopefully by then he will not need it.

Since you do not know what precisely is going on, I would give him strict crate rest, where he cannot move around. The crate should be just big enough to turn around, and there should be a bowl of water in it. He should only be out of the crate to potty or change his bed, then right back in he goes, 24/7. Then you can give him time to rest and recover and see how he is doing in 6-8 weeks. Recovery from spinal injury takes time, for example it takes longer than healing a broken bone, so don't be surprised if you do not see improvement right away.

During his rest period, if he is not urinating voluntarily, you can help him empty his bladder by squeezing his tummy. Here is an article with information on how to do it, and dozens of videos if you scroll down to the end.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027

Here is information on crate rest and treatment without surgery.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/CrateRRP.htm
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/conservative.htm
nikkimac

Post by nikkimac »

Thank you. I got him to eat some food today. He pooped but his tail still hadn't moved. We brought him indoors today as i am worried about flies and how he keeps whining when he cant see us. He isn't responding to pain test but im unsure if he isn't responding because he trust us or because he is incapable of feeling pain. He's looking around and he's paying vivid attention i do still miss his active play , he's had my entire family worried about him but your advice on medication is duly noted. My husband has opted to take the day off to get him his meds. I do appreciate the hope that you have given us about his being young and having the chance to recover. I appreciate the time you took to help us and the use full links. Thank you. Thank you thank you
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Has he gotten any meds? Steroids, like prednisone, should be relatively cheap. How is his peeing? Are you having to express him (squeeze his bladder)? There's a LOT of hope, even if he never walks normally again! Critters only care about doing what they want to do, so they don't worry about carts (wheelchairs) or whatever.
nikkimac

Post by nikkimac »

My husband wasn't able to get the prednisone the pharmacists said they never heard of it. And he didn't bring any substitute. We got spray for his bruising for the flies. I think he's having accidents instead of natural bowel movements. He's begun to stretch one leg out when he's struggling to move around. But not often im not certain how he does this as its not often. He cries alot and is always hungry. Right now he's moving around trying to stand. Its difficult to keep him still. He keeps getting out of his corner and we find him other places than where we put him.
SissysMomma2016

Post by SissysMomma2016 »

i would watch his poop and pee. if his spin is injured and if he nerve damage, you most like would have to express his bladder and anal area to help him go poop and pee. and if you notice that he pees when you press on him and he doesnt move away or notice then its time to look up how to express his bladder to releave his pee.
do some research on it. i have a handicapped pet who im still learning on more and more every day. and i wish someone told me about the poop and pee along time ago. bc she was to backed up it hurt her. she is now doing better and has use of both front legs and gaining stregth in one back leg. dont think she will be able to walk on the 4th ever again. and she cant pee on her own at all. i express her bladder about 3 time a day. one in the morning, after when i get home from work, and one right before bed time. best of luck.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Pred is a VERY old drug, and I'd think it would be everywhere. Maybe it goes by a different name where you are? In the US it's a prescription drug.