My dog got hit by a car, went to the vet inmediately and...

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Diego

My dog got hit by a car, went to the vet inmediately and...

Post by Diego »

He told us the damage was only on the outside ((Friday)) after touching him from head to tail and said he still had a symmetric looking overall, Ghost (my dog's name, Blue Heeler/ Australian Cattle Dog, about to have his first birthday), did not cry or show disturb signs. The vet stitched a wound around the ankle, gave us meds and told us to be aware of his urine, if he did at all urinate (which would be the best sign) and advised us to take him back the day after.
Ghost did urinate, the first time he did was until we got home the same day and there was like 200 ml of blood along the disposal but the vet said it would be normal. The latter times he peed it was with less blood everytime until it looked like normal urine. By Saturday the doctor checked him again and congratulated Ghost for having a fast external wound healing and being able to urinate without complications.

He can stand on his four legs (since he got home) and walk (slower than usual but he is not complaining at all). He also has a cone around the neck which hasn't been friendly to him at all and won't let him rest peacefully. He rather stay seated than lie down.

However, the vet did not mention anything about bowel momement: what expect and what would be considered as normal and I didn't ask either. Ghost hasn't pooped ever since the accident(It's Sunday today), I tried to reach the vet this morning but he is not available or hasn't replied yet. :(

Should I be concerned? I really hope it is just a side effect of the meds he's taking. :?

These are the meds I'm giving him:

Cephalexin 250mg / 1 every 24hrs
Prednisone 20mg / 1/4 every 12hrs
Tramadol 50mg 1/2 every 12hrs

Hope to get feedback as soon as posible! :thankyou:
CarolC

Re: My dog got hit by a car, went to the vet inmediately and

Post by CarolC »

You might try taking the cone off of him when he goes outside, perhaps it will help him relax so he can potty. I'm guessing the cone is so he does not chew his stitches. Just put it back on after he comes inside. It is OK to go 4 days without pooping, they sometimes do that after surgery. Tramadol can cause constipation but it is a very good pain medication, I would not stop giving it. The vet can give you a stool softener for him if the vet thinks it is needed. You did not say which foot was injured but with an injured foot it may make him uncomfortable to try to squat, which could discourage him from pottying. In that case the tramadol would actually help him with pooping if it helps him squat comfortably. It sounds like he is a very lucky dog, thank goodness!
:banner:
Diego

Post by Diego »

CarolC wrote:You might try taking the cone off of him when he goes outside, perhaps it will help him relax so he can potty. I'm guessing the cone is so he does not chew his stitches. Just put it back on after he comes inside. It is OK to go 4 days without pooping, they sometimes do that after surgery. Tramadol can cause constipation but it is a very good pain medication, I would not stop giving it. The vet can give you a stool softener for him if the vet thinks it is needed. You did not say which foot was injured but with an injured foot it may make him uncomfortable to try to squat, which could discourage him from pottying. In that case the tramadol would actually help him with pooping if it helps him squat comfortably. It sounds like he is a very lucky dog, thank goodness!
:banner:
Alls good! I had to take him to another vet because the one that prescribed/checked him is still missing, no office phone, no cellphone.

Turns out one of the wounds was getting infected because it was still covered with hair :shock: :shock: :shock: The guy who healed him did not notice it so it wasn't disinfected at all. Ghost was having pain/trouble squatting and didn't want to go potty at all since it was near where the skin of the legs folds. The new vet increased the Tramadol dose and told me to keep checking that wound. Gave him suppositories and he's had his first disposal of poop.

He is a very lucky guy indeed. I was overjoyed when I heard everything was ok, can't wait to see my baby fully recovered! :trophy:

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You might want to look at the Poop on Demand ideas in case you need to help him poop again since pain and the meds may make him prone to constipation. It sounds like he's doing OK, though! :whale: