Female cat not peeing or pooping

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Stephk7437

Female cat not peeing or pooping

Post by Stephk7437 »

I'm posting here because we're still confirming this is the case and she isn't just hiding it in the house somewhere:

I just had to get rid of one of my cats, she left on Sunday and we completely cleaned out the litter box (my current cat was peeing everywhere but the litter box 90% of the time starting when I got the second cat) thinking that would help the previous problem. But she hasn't used it since (about 3 days). We're still checking the house to make sure she's not going else where but we're running out of places to check and haven't found anything. I'm hoping she's peeing in the bath tub and people are showering without realizing what she did and that's why it doesn't look like she has, but I'm worried she's not going because she's upset about the other cat going. As a rescue she's got a weird dependency on me and I'm wondering if she developed a similar dependency on this new cat even though all of her actions made us believe the new cat upset her.

I'm just not sure I haven't heard of this happening before especially not with both, has anyone else?
CarolC

Re: Female cat not peeing or pooping

Post by CarolC »

I would throw away the old litter box and buy a new one, or preferably 2, one to put in the original location and one to put in another location, in case she wants a complete change. You can try feeling her abdomen to see if she has a full bladder. If you can't tell by feeling (for example if she is overweight or if you can't be sure because you're not used to feeling what a full bladder feels like) then I would probably take her to the vet and have the vet check her. The way to find urine spots on the carpet is with a black light. They sell them at PetsMart next to the enzyme carpet cleaner. The trick will be to know which spots are new and which are old. If you find spots in a certain place, perhaps put the second box there. If she isn't defecating she is going to be constipated, which is another reason to have her checked by the vet, constipation can get out of hand with cats. Can you tell if she is drinking a normal amount from her water bowl? Is she doing any squatting without peeing? You could also crate her with a litter box so you can see what is really happening.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Female cat not peeing or pooping

Post by critters »

If she can't pee at all but is still making pee she would probably be showing discomfort--I call it The Box Hopping Boogie. They go from box to box, spot to spot, trying to pee. I expect she's probably peeing someplace weird, but it would probably be a good idea to get her checked out. Like Carol says, the vet can see how full her bladder is.