15 week old puppy hit by a car

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
callalily

15 week old puppy hit by a car

Post by callalily »

Hello! A friend of mine had a 15 week old boxer puppy hit by a car last night. He didn't have funds to get him help so I ended up taking him to the vet this morning. She said his right back femur is broken and he has a fracture in his left back ankle. The problem is he isn't moving either leg at all. She didn't see any breaks in his spine or pelvis. She sent him home with me with pain medication and anti inflammatory and suggested we wait a couple days to see if he starts moving his left leg before deciding on either a cast or pin in the right leg. She seemed very adamant that if he didn't move his left leg over the next couple days that he would need to be put down. This is an absolute last option in my book! If he is indeed paralyzed would he not have a decent life in a wheelchair? Also is it really ok to tell if he will be paralyzed after only 2 days even though there's nothing that shows injury to his spine? I really want to get this baby healed up and I do not want to give up on him. She said he did show some reaction to deep pain stimulation whatever that means. So anyways anyone have any experience with this kind of injury and have any advice on what I'm looking at for him? Thanks for your help!
CarolC

Re: 15 week old puppy hit by a car

Post by CarolC »

callalily wrote:Hello! A friend of mine had a 15 week old boxer puppy hit by a car last night. He didn't have funds to get him help so I ended up taking him to the vet this morning. She said his right back femur is broken and he has a fracture in his left back ankle. The problem is he isn't moving either leg at all. She didn't see any breaks in his spine or pelvis. She sent him home with me with pain medication and anti inflammatory and suggested we wait a couple days to see if he starts moving his left leg before deciding on either a cast or pin in the right leg. She seemed very adamant that if he didn't move his left leg over the next couple days that he would need to be put down. This is an absolute last option in my book! It is one thing for the vet to suggest different options for you to consider, but another to be adamant. You may need to find another vet who will support your wish to care for him if she is so against it. It was awfully nice of you to get him some help. If he is indeed paralyzed would he not have a decent life in a wheelchair? Yes, he could have a happy life in a wheelchair if the owner is willing to care for him. Since he is growing, you would want an adjustable wheelchair that can be adjusted bigger as he grows. But hopefully it will not be needed. In the event that he does not walk again (I imagine he will if he has deep pain sensation) he is likely to become a pretty big dog when he is an adult. The owner would need to be willing to care for him if he is 50 lbs or whatever. Also is it really ok to tell if he will be paralyzed after only 2 days even though there's nothing that shows injury to his spine? I would give it more time than that. If he has some bruising of his spine and is on an anti-inflammatory, hopefully you will start to see a return of function. If he has deep pain sensation I would expect him to improve. Did they talk to you about the cost of the surgery? I am not sure how many days you can wait to set a fracture before it becomes more complicated. I really want to get this baby healed up and I do not want to give up on him. She said he did show some reaction to deep pain stimulation whatever that means. It is an excellent sign that he is not fully paralyzed and it is reason to be optimistic, and his age is also in his favor. So anyways anyone have any experience with this kind of injury and have any advice on what I'm looking at for him? I know he's a puppy, but can you tell if he is doing any leaking or dribbling? Can you tell if he seems to have bladder control? I think you are just going to be doing some daily nursing care of the basics, keeping him clean and dry and comfortable, and kind of wait and see. I hope it works out for him! Thanks for your help!
callalily

Post by callalily »

Thank you so much for your reply! That makes me feel a bit better. I don't think the owner is up to taking care of him anymore after all this so I've kind of just taken in the baby. He doesn't seem to be dribbling. At one point he sat up when he peed. So I think he knows when he is going potty. I am concerned that he hasn't pooped yet though. He is eating good though so hopefully it will come. Otherwise the vet suggested an enema. One huge problem I'm having is he isn't sleeping. At all. His pain medicine seems to be helping him out but he's just not happy that he can't get up and walk around. I'm not sure how I can get him to sleep. I layer on the floor with him all night to try and comfort him but he ended up just keeping me and him up. She did tell me the cost of putting a pin in his leg is about $1000. Pr we can try a cast but again she wanted to wait 2 days to see if he is moving his left leg before deciding. I think I'll just give him some time and hope he gets some function in his leg. He's still pretty swollen so I think it's too early to tell. Praying he gets better and he let's me and him get some sleep!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Well, he is a very lucky dog. Did the previous owner give you his blankets and toys? It might help a little, I don't know, the smells of home? He is in the middle of a lot of adjustments.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2505&#p11055 wrote:she was a rescue, found injured, and she did not know me, and I didn't know what she liked to eat or really anything about her. The day of the accident, she lost her home, her familiar smells, her familiar people, her familiar food. The only way she would eat was hand-feeding. I recommend that. In spite of her surgery, she did better eating from my hand on my lap.
callalily

Post by callalily »

Yes I've got a few of his blankets, his kennel (which he hates) and his dog food. I think they were just relieved not to have to deal with this issue. I checked on him when I went home for lunch and he was pretty calm. I think I saw him move his left leg just a tiny bit so fingers crossed he is getting his movement back slowly but surely!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: He's a lucky baby! This all sounds good for having been hit so recently. Is he taking a steroid, like prenisone? I would also get a poop softener, like lactulose, which is prescription but it usually pretty cheap. It's liquid, and most critters like it, so it's easy to dose and to use more or less as needed. If he's taking narcotic pain meds, they can be constipating. You're quite right that he can have a good life, even in a wheelchair!
callalily

Post by callalily »

Update! I ended up giving him a warm water enema and he pooped a few hours later. A lot. The vet said she didn't want to put him on steroids because he is so young. So he's just on the anti inflammatory and pain medication. He started flexing his left foot a little bit and if I tickle his thigh he will move it just a tiny bit. So I'm really hoping that means he is slowly getting his movement back. He is such a sweet guy and I'm hoping we can get him good as new with some time and patience!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

At least an NSAID is a start! Chances are that he'll improve, and maybe a lot. Maybe even all the way, but no guarantees.