My 11 month old puppy got ran over by car

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
joy

My 11 month old puppy got ran over by car

Post by joy »

Hi ,

My 11 month old Golden Retriever puppy got ran over by a car on last tuesday . One of his hind leg clearly broken which doctors are suggesting to amputate. His other hind leg is also not responding . Doctors did all kind of test on his other leg but he not ready to take his weight on that leg . By any chance any of you have any experience with this kind of situation. Do you think his other leg will recover over a period of time . We have to take a call now . Don't know what to do .

Any suggestion will be appreciated .

Thanks
CarolC

Re: My 11 month old puppy got ran over by car

Post by CarolC »

Hi Joy,

It is really hard to predict the outcome based only on the description. If he has feeling in his leg that is not broken, I would be optimistic. I would not worry too much if he is not bearing weight, I don't blame him, it was a recent accident, but if he still has feeling in it, then that is a very good sign. I would try to give him some time if at all possible. If you think you might be able to save the other leg with surgery, but just don't have the money right now, I would recommend Care Credit. It is a loan for emergency veterinary care. They may have an application for Care Credit at the reception desk of the veterinary hospital. You fill it out and they submit if for you and you find out right away if you are approved. Or you can do it yourself at http://www.carecredit.com. After you get the loan you can pay it off gradually. If amputation is the best choice, Care Credit could cover that as well. Hope this helps a little bit.

:welcome:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: I, too, would seriously consider trying to save the broken leg as well. Because there's a chance that something may be going on with the other leg, at least temporarily, it MAY be better to try to keep it. Another consideration, should you decide to amputate, is WHERE to amputate. Should your baby need wheels in the future, many people have had trouble keeping them on if there's not enough stump to allow use of the rings that a critter's pelvis sits in.
joy

Post by joy »

Thanks for your response. Doctors will try to save his broken leg by doing surgery. Hope he will recover from his injuries.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I think that's a worthwhile idea, given that he may have other injuries. Good luck!! :xmastree: