Amputation scheduled! Partial for prosthetic?!?!

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Beijasdad

Amputation scheduled! Partial for prosthetic?!?!

Post by Beijasdad »

My dog is scheduled for a left forelimb amputation on Tuesday. She is a 14 y.o. red-nose pittie who was just diagnosed with osteosarcoma of her distal radius yesterday. The oncologist recommended amputation and radiation (no metastizing visible in the radiographs). It occurred to me last night that, if her humerous were left in tact (everything removed below her humerous), she would have a base to fit a prosthetic leg. I feel that this would be a better option as it would be less taxing on her bones, joints, and muscles as she wouldn't have to compensate for the missing leg. I want what is best for my friend and am trying desperately to reach my oncologist to find out if this is an option. Unfortunately, the office was unable to provide me with a direct contact number so I emailed him and am hoping for a speedy response. In the meantime, any insight would be desperately welcomed. Should I leave a stump to fit a prosthetic or go with the full amputation. Worried if fully amputated that a compensation injury to a remaining leg would spell death for my pup. Please help.
CarolC

Re: Amputation scheduled! Partial for prosthetic?!?!

Post by CarolC »

:welcome:

I have no personal experience with this, but I believe they could do PT to help your dog build up her ability to walk. This might be especially helpful with an older dog. Also, if you can make arrangements at home to be sure everyplace your dog normally goes has good traction, that will help ensure safety. Usually dogs do fine with an amputation. A good body harness will be helpful if you need to take her someplace where she may be on a slick surface.

I would recommend posting this question on Tripawds.

https://tripawds.com/forums/
Beijasdad

Post by Beijasdad »

Thanks. I posted it on tripawds last night.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Hmm. Prosthetics can be problematic as well, but none of mine have ever used them. Have you looked at prosthetics, such as price, availability, etc? Sometimes places that make human prostheses are willing to help, and being able to go to a local source for fit problems or whatever may be superb. With that said, when I had a cat who needed a splint, a local joint SAID it was willing but then wouldn't do the work, and after weeks and weeks I picked it up and moved on to a mail order place.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Hi there, what happened in the end with your pup? Hope everything went well.