Looking for Advice

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Marymac

Looking for Advice

Post by Marymac »

Hello All,

Our family recently took in a kitten who has birth defects. The kitten can walk with one back leg with very limited movement. He also seems to both pee n poop but not aware he is doing it. He is quite tiny and our vet had little help to offer other than have a go. So if anyone has any good advice on diapering or how to help him with odour etc any suggestions will be appreciated! This kitten has improved since we took him in, happy eating drinking playing. Jus5 have to get the toilet clean up system down and help would be appreciated! Thanks All!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Looking for Advice

Post by critters »

:slant: Have you considered expressing poop and pee, or does the baby leak all the time? Is it spina bifida or more orthopedic defects? Brain damage? Need more info!! And, yes, I understand if you don't have more info; most vets can't necessarily tell the difference between brain damage and spinal cord injury, for example, in a tiny baby.

Concatulations!
Marymac

Post by Marymac »

Hello,

Well our litttle guy, named Spook, is doing quite well I think. He’s very precious! Our awesome vet said that the kitten literally just did not form properly in the hind legs. No apparent brain damage he’s very bright and happy. He does have feeling and circulation in his back legs, even the one he can’t quite walk on. He was the only kitten of the litter that had issues the others were ok, but the mom had difficult labour and died three days ago from complications. I asked if I needed to learn to express and our vet was of the opinion that Spook is just going fine, it’s just more he’s like ohhhhh how did that happen....I actually think he may learn to use litter he’s just too young. I actually can help him poop but honestly it’s more of a stimulation thing by rubbing gently like momma would by his stub tail. I havnt successfully been able to get him to pee yet but I’m trying and he is urinating usually on my fresh shirt or my daughters shirt. :) He has some swelling and sore skin as the previous owner was a young teen with no support or knowledge and dint know how to bathe or use creams to assist the lil one. That has improved dramatically since we started cleaning him up and using the cream the vet gave us. ( all free the vet wouldn’t take a cent) I am sure trying to help this lil guy as best we can but we are open to diapering etc, I tried making one with a sock but that’s not working, seems to bother him if I manipulate the leg, so I’m going to try a preeemie diaper. Any assistance would be great, or ideas!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aww, what a nice story! Glad you got him, and glad you found a good vet!!

He doesn't sound like a CHer, but he may have some spina bifida if he doesn't have a tail (like Manx syndrome). I guess you know that preemie diapers come in sizes, too? Not so many people know that, but you may find it useful.

If you do Facebook, you might try https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatsWithParalysis/ . Full disclaimer: I didn't find them friendly, but you may get some info.
Marymac

Post by Marymac »

Hi Critters,

Thanks for the response! He has a wee little stub for a tail. He’s doing well and we find he’s gaining strength in his legs. He is getting in his litter box and occasionally successfully going there so there is hope! We are doing physio with him every day and he’s gaining weight! We are going to get him some preemie diapers, so far not getting anything in his size in outpr little town.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ie+diapers

I wonder if you might be able to get a trial of diapers from a hospital? I've often suggested that people ask for a single diaper from friends, family, etc. to try, because critters don't wear the sizes you think they would of human diapers. The donor can write the brand and size on the diaper with a marker. Unless you could find a group of preemie parents, I was just wondering how you might get preemie ones to try.
Marymac

Post by Marymac »

I live in a pretty tiny place so I may need to just buy, and I’m ok with that :) he’s only a little over a lb so..
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

OK. Sometimes pharmacies can special order what you need, when you know what you need. We used to do that a lot before so much became available over the internet. Even Walmart used to do it, although I don't know that they still do.