CH and deaf kitten pooping on himself

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
brittanne05

CH and deaf kitten pooping on himself

Post by brittanne05 »

I just rescued a male kitten 4 days ago and took him to the vet and found that he has Cerebellar Hypoplasia and he is deaf. He is 6 weeks old. He has acted as normal as can be expected with a new environment and all but today he has diarrhea and it is grey. He got it all over himself. I've been trying to letterbox train but when I show him the litterbox he just turns in circles over and over. I'm very new to CH and I don't know how to go about that so any advice on that would be deeply appreciated. On the note of his poop being grey, I contacted the vet and he did not seem too concerned. He told me to bring him in for his scheduled visit in two weeks and just keep an eye on him. I've never seen grey diarrhea before and it's very concerning to me. Do I need to bring him to the emergency vet?
critters
Founding Member

Re: CH and deaf kitten pooping on himself

Post by critters »

:whale: Hmm. The diarrhea is very concerning to me, too. As for the CH,https://www.facebook.com/groups/533829820023169 is good. My current brain damaged permakitten has never used a litter box in his life; it's just missing from his head. He's perfectly willing to use a disposable pee pad, though (and he has a triple dose of dig-and-cover, so I have to put down big ones). I've forgotten how to put pics into posts, or I'd try to get one up here. :oops:
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Diarrhea in a kitten is always a concern in my book. they can dehydrate quickly.
My vet has often told me that most vets don't see many tiny kittens, they are used to older kittens, who aren't as fragile.
Little kittens don't have time to wait to see "what if" thing s straighten out.
at 6 weeks old the kitten's lil gut still doesn't have it's flora all settled. that's what makes the grey poop. There are many good probiotcis on the market, I u se proviable and also Probios (which i get on amazon in a little tub, but I use it for many cats).
the diarrhrea needs to be addressed. first easy thing to try is a little bit of pumpkin, if you dont want to get a whole can of pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain pumpkin) t hen the babyfood pumpkin also works (bendy loved it). Pumpkin provides fiber and regulates the consistency of the poop. In extremem cases it doesn't always work but it's certainly worth a try. a tsp should be more than enough.
the other thing to do is go to a pet store and look for the anti-diarrhea liquid, it goes by different names , most are a form of kaolin syrup. It shoudl slow it down even if it doesn't make fo rfirm poop.
so, probiotics, and anti-diarrhea liquid from a petstore. nothing in a human pharmacy is safe.
I've also found, and this will sound funny but its true, that iams kibble helps firm things up. i don't k now what it is about iams but their hairball food makes for good solid poop.

as far as litterbox training. at 6 weeks I wouldn't expect them to use the litter box reliably. It takes them a little while to figure it out, especially without another cat to set the example. you can take thei rpoop and put it in the litterbox to help them get the idea. Also, remember that kittens can't really hold it once they realize they have to go, so make sure there are multiple litterboxes around the kitten's area. I actually have a couple righ tnow about 6 weeks old, they are in a big nylon playpen and decided on one spot to use which was not where I put their box. So, i put the box there and tadah they went in the box. It can takes a couple months for everything to get sorted out. They're babies, they need to learn. My little circling boy would poop in a box but for his entire 18 and a hlaf years he peed on the floor. I have no good explanation why. If your kitten doesn't like the box, you can try different styles, or use a little cardboard tray like the canned catfood comes in - stores will often give you their empty trays if you ask.

glad you found us!!! welcome!!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
brittanne05

Post by brittanne05 »

Thank you all for your replies! I have heard about the pumpkin technique and I will absolutely try that! They do eat the Iams kitten kibble and I give Eddie (My wobbly baby) a little bit of the iams wet food as he hasn't figured out water quite yet. He holds his head sideways so it scares him, testing different things for this as well. I did just order probiotics from amazon and the vet said I can try some yogurt but not to much as the dairy can upset his stomach as well. I didn't mention in my question but I have 2 other 6 week babies and they do use the litterbox so I'm hoping he will see them and try but I am going to try puppy pads as well. :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Meez is tippy headed too, and he was terribly clumsy when he was young. I think he has a touch of brain damage in the motor regions.