Can you help? Our dog's leg is broken.

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
lmac

Re: Can you help? Our dog's leg is broken.

Post by lmac »

Sorry I haven't posted in the last day or so. It's been a rough couple of days!!! I tried to mow the lawn and the dogs didn't have to be told to move, and they weren't laying there watching me, so I cried again!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I too have been lookiing and emailing to everywhere!!! I think Abbey might be a mix with Anatolian Shepherd. So, I emailed their org. too. Unfortunately, I really haven't gotten any responses yet. But my fingers are crossed. The Humane society here in Monroe is giving us bandages and more importantly a surgical scrub to get her wounds clean.
Abbey, is getting around pretty good, despite the fact that she's only using three legs. You can definetly tell when she's tired though, she has a harder time. Keep her in your prayers, she's going to need it.
If I hear anything more I'll let you know.
Thanks a bunch,
Lisa
lmac

Post by lmac »

I haven't really slept the last few nights. Been crying myself to sleep every night. I have an appt. to see a Vet today. I talked with him on the phone, he seems like a compassionate man. He's going to take x-rays and see where the break is and see if they can do anything with it. I am so scared for Abbey! I am scared that if we don't find help soon I may even have to give her to someone that can get her the help she needs. I talked to my daughter about this last night and we cried together. (She's 10) Say a prayer for Abbey, and our family.
Thanks,
Lisa
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

My heart breaks for your family. I am hoping that somehow you can find the means to pay for the surgery.

Did Karen (GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily) suggest going to the local newspaper with a story about your heartbreak? Have you thought about doing that? Karen also had a heartbreaking story about St. Jude. He was shot, and had all kinds of major injuries. Somehow, she was able to raise money through the community for his vet bills. The Humane society also helped a bit.

Do you think this vet will be compassionate and allow the bill to be paid over a long period of time? ...maybe a monthly amount? If you are looking for work, could you work at a vet's office as a vet tech? My friend does that to help defray the cost of caring for her 7 animals. Also, as an employee you pay about half price on vet services.

When my cat had a surgical fix to a leg break it cost about $1000. Perhaps it won't cost $2000 for a dog.

If the new vet is unable to help...ask him WHO will take compassion on your pup? I just can't believe NO ONE is willing to cut you a break.

Dianne
lmac

Post by lmac »

Thanks, Dianne. I think I have found a Vet. He has a little office, but I'm hopeful.. They did xrays (something else the other Vet didn't do) The break is in the joint and there is really not enough bone left to repair. So she will have to have it amputated. At least now I know. We'll be dropping her off tonight and she will have surgery on Tuesday. We have to put $600. down, so we're going to cash advance or someplace like that. We'll have to deal with the consequences later. She cannot wait any longer, she's in pain and it's now infected. Pray for Abbey.
Thanks,
Lisa
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Lisa,

I'm very sorry that they couldn't save the leg. Now you know. Sometimes not knowing, is the hardest thing.

You will probably want to post on the "Amputation" section to ask other amputee owners about the results. From reading about amputees, the bounce back more quickly than we would.

It has been a very tough time for your family. I'm really hoping that this vet can help Abbey and your family heal. I'm sorry that your family has hit such tough financial times. Quite a few of us on this bb have also been through times when we lived on less than we ever thought possible. It certainly brings out our creativity in stretching each dollar.

Wishing you better days ahead.

Dianne
Last edited by Dianne on Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You might want to post the vet clinic info just in case anyone is able to help. Many here have pet bills as well, but you never know. Name of the clinic, telephone number, and account number if you have it.
lmac

Post by lmac »

Here is the name of the place:

Angel Animal Hospital Abbey MacDonagh
30332 Nine Mile Rd.
Farmington Hills, Mi. 48336
(248)615-6500

Dr. Singh is a very compassionate Dr. I have never met such a caring Vet in any of my pets lives. It's a very small office, only a couple people work there. They have a surgeon who comes in to do the surgery. When he gave us the itemized bill, he went over it with us. The antibiotics he's giving us (no charge) The E-collar they are just letting her borrow until I come in with the one we have. The estimate he gave us over the phone, he told me no matter what he wouldn't go over it. Although I can't even afford the estimate, and my husband has always said he would NEVER pay that much for a dog. Somehow God willing this will work out. The surgery is today I think around noon. I could go see her, but, aside from the fact that it would cost me another $25 in gas to get there, I don't want to get Abbey excited and thinking it's time to go home. I don't want her to injure herself. She is not used to being crated, so the more relaxed she is while she's there the better. I'm having a really hard time, not driving out there. But I also know it's for her own good.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Lisa,

I can understand how your heart is breaking over the events of the last 2 weeks. We're praying for a successful outcome and a miracle to help cover the payments.

Thank goodness you found a vet with whom you feel confident. Bless his heart for showing compassion to animals. It's a business for many of the younger vets, and they need to make payments for vet school bills, or building and equipment fees. Some of the older guys have an established business and no longer worry about "turning a dime".

If you don't mind me asking, how much will they charge you for the surgery?

Dianne
lmac

Post by lmac »

The Dr. said he would not charge us anymore than $1000. We had to borrow $600. from a cash advance place to put down. I have no idea how we'll pay them back, but the surgery could not be held off any longer. Abbey's leg was infected. (She was on antibiotics) but because there was bone exposed the risk was too high. The day we took her in I noticed that she had a fever and she was very tired, so I know she was fighting this infection. I still have not heard from any of the org.'s I've emailed. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I know most of them will not reimburse you for money already paid down so...
I have no idea what is going to happen, my kids start school in 3 weeks and I'm not even done school shopping yet. Please just pray for us.
Thanks,
Lisa
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Thank God they are working with you. Long as they understand that the decision to save Abbey is really theirs, due to the finances. Long as you tell them you want and need Abbey to live, will they please work with you.
I am sending up prayers for all of you right this minute!
Please let us know how surgery goes....
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
lmac

Post by lmac »

Abbey's surgery went well! She is at home recovering now. I didn't realize that they didn't cover it with bandages because it had to finish draining (ewww!) Thank God we haven't put new carpeting in the living room yet. Just a sub-floor and she can bleed all over that! She is actually doing quite well. The only problems I have encountered is 1)She's figured out how I've been hiding her meds in bologna and now won't eat it! We've moved on to Vienna Sausage. I think she's starting to figure that out as well. And 2)She freaks out with the e-collar and runs thru the house trying to get it off. (I don't make her wear it anymore!) She really doesn't mess with it at all. And 3) the Dr.'s office after surgery gave her canned food and now she refuses to eat her dry food! She went 1 1/2 days without eating so I broke down and bought canned.
I've been mixing it with dry. She sometimes forgets that she doesn't have it and tries to scratch behind her ear, or boost herself up into the van. She just figures out another way to get into the van and she has also figured out that mommy does a pretty good job scratchin behind the ear. Other than the financial issues we are all doing well. Sorry it took sooo long for me to update y'all. Lisa
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

WELL, in the first part YAYAY!
2nd part. My blindpups go nuts in an ecollar also. There is a nobite collar and I'm looking for link on another window, which is like a greyhound collar only very large. http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/nobite/
I cannot believe how well she is doing, I am so enthused by her spirit. Can you confine her, if not in a crate, then in an x-pen in the house? You can pad it with the puppy pee pads, or like me, go to dollar store, pick up a dollar plastic table cloth and cover it in washable bathmats and comforters you can pick up at thrift for next to nothing?
If it would take too long to order a no bite collar, check around local vets and pet stores.
I think she is going to be fine, and I know you are dizzy with relief and happiness.
KEEP US POSTED, WE LOVE SUCCESS STORIES!
This is indeed wonderful news. She is BACK! Smiles today!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Lisa,

We've been waiting to hear the good news, and running around the house IS good news. I'm so relieved that it went well.

At our house, no towel is thrown away. They are washed until they are threadbare, stored in the garage cabinets and used to dry cars, or to pad pet bedding. I like Karen's thrift store idea. They always have comforters for almost nothing.

Dianne
lmac

Post by lmac »

I really am not concerned about her dripping! With three kids running thru the house, there is NO such thing as clean! I have designated an old blanket for her to sleep on. Where she's been dripping is either hardwood, tile, or subfloor, so no big deal. I did ask the Dr. yesterday to give her something stronger for at night. So that I would have peace of mind. HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART! I did not even give her the full dosage and I called her to go out this am and she almost fell down the stairs (A little stoned!!!) She won't be getting that again!!! I think she does SOOOO much better without it. She doesn't like the area at all unless she's on that stuff! Poor baby, like I said I won't give her that again. Other than this mornings mishap everything is going well! She hasn't let her injury slow her down at all! Thank God, other wise I would be questioning whether I did the right thing by her. But I know I did! She is back to her old self, growling and barking at anyone who happens to drive slow past the house, ride their bike, walk, or just look at us funny! I've just got to keep her from ripping her stitches open! But that shouldn't be too hard! Well, I've gotta go for now!
Lisa
lmac

Post by lmac »

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! I can't get Abbey to take her meds! We started rolling it in bologna or ham, that worked for about a week and 1/2. Once she figured that out we moved on to Vienna Sausage. I could cut the center out and slip the pill in, but she figured that out as well. Next, I bought her canned dog food and slipped it in there knowing that the gravy would cover up any scent. She figured that out tonight. I am at a loss! I don't know of any other way and I don't want to shove it down her throat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lisa