Can you help? Our dog's leg is broken.

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Ivan's Friend

Re: Hiding pills in food

Post by Ivan's Friend »

Try hiding her pills in cheese. Velveeta left out of the refrigerator for a little while so it gets a little soft works really well to make "cheese balls". I've also had a dog that really liked marshmallows so we slit them and stuffed the pills inside and he never knew the difference. The trick is to make up one cheese ball (or marshmallow) or whatever with the pill in it and two more without. Give one plain one first like a great treat, the loaded one next and then quick give the third one that is plain. Braunswager is also good for molding around pills. Hope these suggestions help.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

getting meds down

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

mash it up. Make a peanut butter sandwich, or hamburger (cook up some and set in fridge) and put in there. If it's capsule that's easy. Also the forceful method, I use with cats who wont take meds. in Abbey's case, make take 2 because her head is big. There is a hinge in their jaws, just like ours. Press on the hinges while pulling mouth open with fingers and force pill to back of throat, close mouth and massage throat, holding mouth closed (because they WILL spit them out) and if you have a syringe that does NOT have a needle, put some water in and push into corner of mouth.
It is a pain in the neck, I know, but effective.
Also there are those pill pack things that pill goes into and they eat the whole thing.
It is so frightening when their survival depends on the pill. My StarrAncientCat was on meds for her respiratory distress. Her sides were touching trying to breathe, and she WOULD NOT take that pill!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Re: Can you help? Our dog's leg is broken.

Post by Christine »

"Liverwurst is the answer!! Mom thinks I don't know my pills are in there (and that's okaye :0), it's just that I LOVE liverwurst and would eat a tire if she gave it to me with liverwurst smeared on it." Bailey
Bless you for taking such good care of your baby with all you already have on your plate. I just last week got a big thick comforter at my local thrift store for $2. I am going to use it to make a dog bed from a pattern I got off of eBay.

Special prayers being said for you and your family.

Love
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

"Liverwurst is the answer!! Mom thinks I don't know my pills are in there (and that's okaye :0), it's just that I LOVE liverwurst and would eat a tire if she gave it to me with liverwurst smeared on it." Bailey
Bless you for taking such good care of your baby with all you already have on your plate. I just last week got a big thick comforter at my local thrift store for $2. I am going to use it to make a dog bed from a pattern I got off of eBay.

Special prayers being said for you and your family.

Love
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
lmac

Post by lmac »

Liverwurst, cheese, hamburger and peanut butter, all sound like excellent ideas. Will definitly try them all! I'm pretty desperate, she's been thru enough and I DON'T want to force feed! The Dr. gave us acepromazine the other day for at night, (for my own peace of mind) Long story short, she was stoned, slipped down a couple stairs, ripped open 2 stitches and had to be stapled shut yesterday. I don't want to put her under ANY more stress, by having to force feed her these pills. She takes 3 capsule antibiotics/day, 4 pain pills (2 twice/day), and 1/2 motrin type. So, we're talking about alot of stress!!! Thanks for the great suggestions, I'll let y'all know if they work.
Thanks, Lisa
spasmo

Post by spasmo »

Hello Sweetie,
I am glad that your baby is starting to mend... y'all have been in my thoughts and prayers.

We put our dog's meds in a small glob of peanut butter. I then place the glob on their tounges and they swallow it right away. This works really well for us and I hope that it works for Abbey.

Best wishes!
Anna B
proud dog hair collector