Need something TODAY that will knock out the Highway 170 dog

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Need something TODAY that will knock out the Highway 170 dog

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I gave him 150 mg of Ace on Fri. All it did was make him stagger.. there was no way anyone was going to touch him. We followed him into woods and then he stumbled toward the highway, I nearly screamed. I assume it messes w/central nervous system. Sunday I tried to give him tylenol pm, just to make him sleep so I could catch him. He is huge, welll-muscled, and fast. He shook out the pills from the beef. No injectibles, no net, no capture stick. There is now a commercial real estate sign on the prop, so they are going to clear the land imminently, probably today. If they see a huge dog who looks dangerous, they will shoot him. I am going back out at 5 oclock tonight, and this is my last hurrah. He was actually playing yesterday, and this is killing me. What can I give him that will make him sleep? A friend sayd, don't give him tylenol pm, it's bad for him. I said I HAVE NO CHOICE! Unless you give me something that will WORK, this is all I have! No vet will help, no animal control (if they get involved, he becomes a county, read: dead, dog), no nothing. So does anyone have any ideas?
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Re: Need something TODAY that will knock out the Highway 170

Post by critters »

I'm afraid no ideas here. Your friend's right, though--no Tylenol. If you want to use it, you need to see what the sleep ingredient is, probably an antihistamine, and get some plain.
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

Regular tylenol is just acetaminophen, which is toxic to dogs. Tylenol PM is a combination of acetaminophen and diphenhydramine hydrochloride. The diphenhydramine hydrochloride is the part that makes you sleepy. Diphenhydramine hydrochloride is the same ingredient in benadryl and various sleep aids. So, it would be better, just as effective and less toxic, to give him benadryl than tylenol PM, but I don't know if that is safe either, and will probably just make him sleepy, not knock him out. Can you ask a vet what might work or even get one to prescribe something?
Barbara Boehmer (not a veterinarian, just a fellow pet owner)
Barbara Boehmer

I would think that a better solution would be to purchase or borrow a have-a-heart trap, put some food in it, wait for him to go in, then just put the whole trap, with the dog in it, in a pickup truck or back seat of a car. That way there is no need for sedation or the risks involved with it.
Barbara Boehmer

If you can't get a have-a-heart trap, a large dog carrier might work, as long as you can close the door quickly, before he can get out.
Barbara Boehmer

Or, if you or somebody has a pickup truck with a camper shell, you could back that off the road, put some food in, and leave it open, then close it quick, after he gets in. Even a van or station wagon might work, if you can rig some sort of partition between the driver's area and passenger area. Or, he might just hide in the back, if you got in the front and drove. I don't know how he might react.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Try benadryl. It usually works within about 30 minutes. I give it to Oscar when we travel. I know my vet has said it is ok to give, so perhaps it might be safer.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty

Barbara, we are totally out of time. 2 rescuers cannot get any additional drugs, the Ace did not work, and as I read up on it, it will not work with extremely fearful or aggressive. We cannot get a net, nor capture stick. The property is going to be cleared, there was a rake out there yesterday, not to rake the property but to use as a weapon. He is no danger to anyone, but he is big and scarey looking. Although he will chase my van, he will NOT get into it. Nor a pick up truck, nor a car, nor a cage, nor the trap that was stolen. He is going to be shot. I live in South Carolina. Every bubba totes a shotgun in his pickup truck. Today is it. Tonight, that is, after work. We may already be too late. I am sick. Sick. I could scream.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
Pam (Riley's mom)

Post by Pam (Riley's mom) »

Oh Karen,

I don't know anything to help you, I will pray for you and him. I hope you catch him.

Pam
Barbara Boehmer

What other types of property are nearby? You said he goes into the woods. Can you try to relocate him away from the property that is going to be cleared to a safer area? Maybe you can leave a trail of hot dog pieces or something. If you had more time, you could repeatedly lure him further each day and start in a further area each day. All you can do is try and hope for the best. Have you tried to contact the new property owner, explain the problem, and seek their help? If it is a big corporation, they might be happy to pay for a new trap or hire some sort of private professional, even somebody with a tranquilizer dart, just to resolve the problem and maintain friendly relations with the community.
Barbara Boehmer

If you can catch him, do you have a place to take him to or a plan as to what to do with him? He will need a secure place until he gets used to people.
Barbara Boehmer

Since he will chase your van, maybe you can drive slow and get him to chase it to another area, then leave lots of food and water there, come back there soon and frequently, and hope he relocates there.
Barbara Boehmer

I just realized the time difference. It is probalby getting dark where you are by now. Please let us know how it went. Maybe they won't clear the lot right away and you will have some more time.
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

I had a neighbor that had a St. bernard that HATED to travel. My neighbor used to go to a Tack store and would get a tube of something they used to calm horses I have no idea what it was called but you could get it over the counter looked like a tube of tooth paste. she would cook up a chicken and squirt some in it. She says he would go to sleep within 20 mins and it never seamed to hurt him,,

We Ace'd him on Friday. Tried to PM him on Sunday, he spit it all out. Pulled out all stops last night after work, and he ate 3 PMs. After two hours, we still could not catch him. The other rescuer was saying, Boy, he loves you. But no Phoenix. I am losing hope. He won't let anyone touch him. Nor get close enough. He will come up to me, I put hot dog on ground with slip knot around it and when I touched the leash, off he ran. 2 hours of trying with all heart and soul. Nothing. :(
It is a very busy construction highway with 18 wheelers roaring up and down the road. We have foster for him where I canwork on socialization, and then 'permanent' foster until he gets adopted. The permanent foster has 32 dogs at the sanctuary, though, so it is essential to properly vet and socialize before he gets there (if he ever gets there) There is no place to lure him. The patch of ground where we park is the only patch of ground that is not overgrown with the most awful growth. Got tore up again last night crawling through the primeval wood... My cousin called the commercial real estate company and explained what we are trying to do. Wish us the best.
Thank you for your thoughts. This is killing me :(
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!