A Retired Search and Rescue dog now needs your help, Please!

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
sacredcreatures

A Retired Search and Rescue dog now needs your help, Please!

Post by sacredcreatures »

Onyx is 9 yrs old now and within the last year she has been having problems with her hind legs. Now she can't walk and needs help. Here is her story:
At the age of 7 weeks Onyx had already been given a poor Prognosis. She had an obstruction and alot of damage to her intestines but I wouldn't give up on her and within a year she was as good as new. I was involved in SAR( Search and Rescue since 1988) and Onyx would be my second SAR dog. We trained hard and she loved to find people. She did a great job, She earned Old Roy Dog of the Year for special dog and got her CGC to name a few titles. But most of all she was very loved and my "Child" During a search in 2000 she was shot in the back, The Vet removed the bullet a 22 calibur and said how lucky she was that she wasn't paralized. Then in 2001 2 months before 9-11 Something strange happened to her, All of her toenails fell off in a bloody mess, It was around this time I too started getting sick. 9-11 was the last time we worked together. I was diagnosed with MS and we retired. After years of searching and helping others my girls needs your help. Starting in March I noticed her having trouble getting up and limping which slowly got worse. I just chalked it up to all the hard times in the field and her age. Then last month her right hind leg stopped fuctioning with the otherleg and she started draging it. A trip last week has given us terrible news. Onyx has nerve damage caused by either DM, A spinal tumor, or something else. But I am unable to afford the tests needed to find out. We are also in Need of a cart and a harness so that I can help her go outside. You see with my MS I am very weak and have some of the same problems she has. But I can't give up on her.... Not Yet. She still has the sparkle in her eye and wants to play and loves us so much. She helped so many find people alive and sometimes brought closure to families of missing people and now she needs some people to help her live for awhile longer. If anyone can help us by either donating a cart or Harness for a 75 lbs German Shepherd or send a donation to help us get the tests done so we know what we are facing. We would be forever grateful! Please contact me for more info or pictures of my girl. It kills me to see her like this. I love her will all my being and she has a 12 year old best friend my daughter Nikiya who crys everyday seeing her struggle. Thank You!
Deborah~
&
Grand Champion Sacredpurr's Sundancer
CFA Red Classic Tabby Manx Male

Nikiya's Voodoo Black Magic "Onyx"
AKC Black German Shepherd Female
Retired Search and Rescue Ground Scent Dog
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: A Retired Search and Rescue dog now needs your help, Ple

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My heart breaks for your bad news. I am so very sorry...
Have you checked the financial links above? And get her story out to the press. The public loves to help out a deserving four-legger and your baby is certainly the top of the list. First write her story, and then send to papers, as well as television. Contact Animal Planet as well, as this is a story they may well be interested in.
Best wishes to you and yours and please let us know how things go with you.
WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/