Dehydration

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
marsha

Dehydration

Post by marsha »

My 12-year-old Dalmation has mutiple problems. Left semi-paralyzed as a result of back surgery two years ago, he has grown more and more lethargic. Presently, he is clamping his mouth closed and refusing all food and drink. The vet says to tempt him with anything we can, so we have been offering him canned gormet dog food, lettuce, ice cream, applesause, popcicles, and Poweraid. He sometimes lets us put food or water in his mouth, but then it falls right out. This means he also is not taking his meds. I'm concerned that his little shrivled tongue just won't work any more and he is losing the capablilty to swallow. He is going tonight to get a "hump" at the vet's, but this cannot continue at home. Suggestions?
Mary and Roxy

Re: Dehydration

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Hi Marsha
When Roxy dosent wasnt wanting to eat much I give her Chicken.., baked, boiled, fried,anything chicken..She gos CRAZY for it. If were eating anything chicken shes right at my feet just dareing anyone or anything to come near me.. Maybe do some chicken broth for her water? I have no idea what "hump" is.. I hope it isnt something that means No chicken ;o)
Best of luck Mary
Last edited by Mary and Roxy on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I have recently had a similar problem with Bailey not wanting to eat and I started giving her Boost - and she loves it. Loves it so much that I can put all of her liquid and powdered supplements in it and she just laps it up. I mix up my stuff, add a little water so it is somewhat liquid, then pour a little of the Boost over it. I sit with her and add a little more Boost as she runs out of it until all of the other is gone. Sometimes, I end up giving her the full 8 ouces, sometimes half. It was comforting to know that even if I could not get her to eat much of anything else those days, she was getting nutrients. She ate that way for 2 weeks and did not lose an ounce.

After getting her on prednisone, she regained her appetite, but I still use a little Boost to give her her healthy powders quickly.

I sure hope you can get him to eat and drink soon. What is a hump??? Good luck with your baby and keep us posted.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

marsha wrote: He is going tonight to get a "hump" at the vet's, but this cannot continue at home. Suggestions?
Hi Marsha,

I don't know much about your dog's condition, but I want to let you know you can give him a hump of fluids at home, just as the vet does in the office. It is not expensive to do. I give fluids to my cat at home twice a day. I have read that dehydration is like having a terrible hangover. That is why they feel so much better when you give them fluids. Ask the vet to show you how. I am sorry your dog is having such a rough time.

For food you might try plain Gerber turkey or chicken.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I had to sub-q StarrAncientCat and believe me if I can, anyone can. And it's true, they come back to 'life' after their fluids. Also give a gracious amount of water in with food, and flavor with whatever is tasty.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

good source for SQ fluids

Post by Bendy Kitty »

giving fluids at home is one of the most useful things we have learned how to do. It is easy and makes a HUGE change for the better in the sick furbaby. Getting it done at our vet would cost $20, often sick animals need fluids twice a day for several days at least so it would add up fast. Giving them at home costs just the price of the fluid bag and setup.
Your vet can show you how to assemble the bag and line, and how to insert the needle, it is EASY.

Here is a good, inexpensive, place to get fluids and supplies from. The most common SQ fluid we use is called Lactated Ringers (we have no idea why it is called that). Sometimes our vet advises using saline instead but more often than not it is Ringers.

http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/pro ... ING-01#top

headbonks and purrs

bendy kitty
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"