Urgent help needed to EXPRESS a cat...

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
CarolC

Re: Urgent help needed to EXPRESS a cat...

Post by CarolC »

Hi 100%human,

I am sorry for the extra message but I forgot something earlier. I was reading your previous messages and you mentioned that the cat had an unknown spinal problem and lacks normal use of the hind legs. In fact he cannot stand up to be expressed. But you said he likes to go outdoors and does all normal cat activities. I am surprised he does not get scrapes from dragging his feet. How long have you had him? Do you have any idea what caused his spinal problem? Do you think it was an accident? Can you estimate how long ago it happened?

Another important thing I didn't think to mention earlier is something you may have read when you were studying megacolon. You said that it is sometimes difficult to get him to drink, and that he tends to be constipated. That is part of the megacolon process. They become reluctant to drink. I can imagine an explanation that would make sense out of all of this if he was tending toward constipation, it progressed to major constipation as you noted, and in the process he reduced his fluid intake. That could make him more prone to cystitis, and then you have the blockage. I am not sure of any of this, just trying to look at the big picture. Therefore, by treating the constipation, which you are doing effectively with enemas, laxatone and lactulose, and by treating the inflammation of the bladder, you may have him on a course toward general improvement...as long as you can keep an eye on him to ensure he does not obstruct again before things normalize.

You can give sub-Q fluids at home, however this is something to discuss with the vet as I do not know if it is advisable to give fluids to a cat who was recently blocked. Please update on how he is doing. I hope Debbie will be along soon.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Urgent help needed to EXPRESS a cat...

Post by critters »

I agree--SQs could help with both problems, and it's certainly worth looking into.