Eros wont drink water

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.
Tiffany

Eros wont drink water

Post by Tiffany »

Hello
For those of you who don't remember or don't know Eros is a 5 yr old GSD He has been through the ringer and has come out the other side pretty much ok well as of right now It has been a little over a day since Eros has drank any significant amount of water. he had a couple of sips here and there and thats it. he will not eat his regular dog food either he had diareah yesterday so I gave him some leftover science diet canned dog food I had left over from a pretty bad bought of diarreah a couple of months ago and he ate that and has had no poop at all since, but he is peeing like he would normally pee if he was drinking water this is why I am so worried. He usually eats Iams Large breed in the green bag well I bought him the mini chunks last time and he has gone through about half the bag for the life of me I can not remember what the symtoms of the food poisoning is and I checked the whole list on the manufacturers website and did not find anything even close to his food.
So my other theory is this its kind of far fetched but will a dog stop drinking out of shame from going in the house, 2 nights ago I fell asleep before I took him out for the last time when my husband got home from work Eros started acting funny, thinking that he wanted water because his bowl was empty He went to go get him water and Eros started to go in the house, This dog NEVER and I mean NEVER goes in the house He will hold it till he is in physical pain there have been days when we've had a Death in the family and things got crazy and he didn't get out until the afternoon for the first time He'll pull your arm off to get to his spot and knock over anything that gets in his way, but he doesn't go in the house. So is it possible he just feels so much shame for going in the house that he doesn't want to drink so it wont happen again? When he was paralyxed he would limit his own food and water because it was so hard to get him around. He is not showing any other sighns of being sick he has started eating his regular food agian and he just had a checkup last week.
Any body have any Ideas?
We would really appreciate it.
Eros and Tiffany

BTW his pee is not strong smelling or strange in any other way he just isn't drinking water.
Eros & Tiffany
Never lose hope, Miracles happen all the time!
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Eros wont drink water

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

If a dog stops eating and drinking there is probably something wrong.
No...a dog wouldn't stop drinking because of shame. The accident in the house suggests a possible UTI. My Sage has only had two accidents in the house in 15 years, and both times she had a UTI.

You know you can try the chicken broth trick that Dianne suggests. Boil some chicken..drain the broth and see if Eros will drink that. NO salt or seasoning.

If things don't turn around today, I would have Eros checked by the vet. dehydration can make them very sick.

Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Thank you so much for the quick reply,
A UTI was the first thing that came to mind but his Urine didn't smell bad and every time he's had one before it has smelled horrible. and He is drinking again and he ate both his meals today with no diarreah so hopefully the problem has resolved itself I'm going to keep a close eye over the weekend and if he shows any other sighns that something isn't right I'm going to bring him to the vet. Thanks again for your speedy reply and sorry to waste your time but you know they say better safe then sorry
Eros and Tiffany
Eros & Tiffany
Never lose hope, Miracles happen all the time!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Do the pinch test. If the skin remains stationary he may be dehydrated. Have you got a feeding syringe? Can you pick up the yummiest beef baby food and watered it way down? (a tip from this board for my cat who went into total starvation for over 8 days while on a 2x a day sub-q.)
You need to get some water down him, and yeah, call your vet. They'll want to do some tests and maybe sub-q. That brings a pet back to life like nobody's business.
Let us know !
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/