All dog owners need to read this

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
bbaugh

Re: All dog owners need to read this

Post by bbaugh »

Thanks for the information. I am so excited last night I came home not only did Gracie hear the alarm. She came to greet me from upstairs. Praise God!!! She is walking better and her hearing is improving it is a miracle. Thanks for the support.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

My 13 yr old became deaf also, when I clap my hands he hears me, or when we sneeze he totally looks the wrong way, the vet checked the ears and nothing seem wrong.
About his sense of smell , I know it's less as well, he almost steps in other dog's poo, he was always taking a huge circle around to avoid it.
His eyesight is a little worse, I think when we approach from the side he doesn't see us and is easily starteled.
Mine drags his hindleg on the pavement due to previous paralysis, the best shoe I finally found after months of trial and error, I found on www.ruffwear.com
the gripptex ones. My shoemaker puts some extra rubber on the nose of the shoe, because mine wears them out every couple of months.
Please let us know about your progress :lol:
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
bbaugh

Post by bbaugh »

Gracie went to the parade and heard the police sirens. I was worried about her ears took her home. I am happy she was able to hear them. puremutt do the shoes you have for your dog do they have good traction? Do you know what caused your dog to go deaf? Anyway have a nice day.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Yes I would definately go and order the shoes, if you don't like them you can return them!
Mine had ear mites and they gave me some drops ( forgot the name, not like yours) and I assume he got deaf from it, also he's 13 1/2 so age might be a cause as well.

let all beings be happy
bbaugh

Post by bbaugh »

We also used otomax which also can cause hearing loss. Reading an earlier post that you made you mentioned otomax. http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... php?t=9054 your Post. Just for your information. I will keep the shoes in mind. Thanks
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

That was it !!!! Otomax!
aren't these meds tested then, if they were for us humans i presume they would take them of the shelves :x

let all beings be happy
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

puremutt wrote:That was it !!!! Otomax!
aren't these meds tested then, if they were for us humans i presume they would take them of the shelves :x
Actually, maybe not. Lots and lots of human meds are ototoxic, including some antibiotics, cancer drugs, etc.
bbaugh

Post by bbaugh »

I read all over the internet that is otomax can cause deafness. Here a couple of places. http://www.drugs.com/vet/otomax. html http://www.medi-vet.com/detail.aspx?ID=2846
If interested do a internet search on Otimax deafness dogs. They say the hearing loss is usually temporary. So now I am not sure if that is the case. Because your dog lost his hearing a year ago and has not improved. Gracie's hearing seems to improve. Although I am thinking more and more she is deaf in one ear. Because if she is laying on her left side it seems she can't hear. Also when I make noise behind her left ear she turns her head towards the left. If I do the same in her right ear She turns her head the wrong direction. Anyway whatever caused her hearing loss, I am still sad. :cry:
I don't want my baby to have problems. I am going to Walmart today to get some rugs for the kitchen she cannot walk on the tile floor. One other thing she has had problems with balance and has fallen down the stairs twice. She has not hurt herself. I have been very lucky. I don't want to confine her. I am thinking of maybe blocking off the kitchen so she cannot fall downstairs. It makes it very difficult we have a split level house.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I have a patchwork of runners and rugs in my house, it looks weird, but I don't care!
Please buy one of those things for your stairs in the baby dept ( can't think of the name) a fence I mean.
I use more expression in my face and use my hands more when I talk to him and he knows excactly what I mean. They are so 'tuned' into us.

let all beings be happy
bbaugh

Post by bbaugh »

The space that I need to fence off is hard to put a gate up. When I am not home I have a board I put a cross. Thanks so much for your advice and support . I think I should be posting on a different thread. This does not fit the subject.
Symera

Post by Symera »

Hello all. I am the proud 'parent' of DOMINO. She is 12years old. She is 1/2 Rottweiler, 1/4 Chow, 1/4 Labrador. I came across this forum because I too have a serious issue with any dog owner using the veterinarian prescribed ear drops: OTOMAX. Domino has been with the same vet since she was 3 years old. He knows everything about her.

About three weeks ago, she developed an ear infection. My husband and I took her to our Vet (1st appt) and he prescribed Otomax Ear drops. She was on this for about a week when my husband and I noticed that she was:
Walking at sort of an angle
Tilting her head (the side with the infection)
She was not responding when called

We contacted the vet and took her in that day (2nd appt). The vet confirmed that she was experiencing hearing loss and stated to stop the treatment immediately. At this appt, the vet did say that there is ‘a slight possibility’ that Otomax ‘could cause some temporary hearing loss but it should return’. Later that evening I decided to look up Otomax on Google. You would not believe how many dogs have gone deaf being prescribed this treatment. It is more common in older dogs (over 7 years). Specifically Retrievers (Golden and Labrador) have had severe and permanent hearing loss. We are currently scheduled for a 3rd appt next week to 'see how Domino is doing'.

Can anyone offer any type of advise? Thank you for listening.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

While you wait for the medicals, get used to teh deafdog world. Read the stickies in this forum, visit

http://www.deafdogs.org/

and accumstom your Domino to new ways to communicate! Welcome!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
k9diabetes

Post by k9diabetes »

I'm not aware of any dog going deaf from diabetes... could you point me to a source for that?

Natalie
Symera

Re: All dog owners need to read this - Update on my Domino

Post by Symera »

Hello all: I wanted to supply an update on my dog Domino.
She had been using that antibiotic for an ear infection.
She is 12-13 years old and she is 1/4 Labrador.

Domino appears to be getting her hearing back. (thank god) :)
The hearing loss did happen and she could not hear anything for about a month(ish).
I noticed about 3-4 days ago that with very loud noises, she could hear it but could not tell direction.
So my husband and I have been working on that.

We would whistle (my husband has a very loud one) :)
Other loud noise like stomping your foot on the floor, etc.
It seems that slowly she is getting more of her hearing back.
She actually turned and looked at me when I called her name today.
(I almost cried - a happy cry) :)
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

That is amazing and wonderful! YAY DOMINO! Amazing! this is the first time I hve read of hearing coming back :) :) :) It CAN be done! YAYAYAYAY!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/