Bad Vet Experience

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
puppymakes8

Bad Vet Experience

Post by puppymakes8 »

I am new to this website, in fact, I'm new to forums... so please be patient with me. I have a little Chihuahua who was born without eyes. We adopted him about 3 weeks ago. You can read and enjoy lots of pictures if you visit his blog http://www.blindpup.com We set up a blog to share his story and to raise awareness. I find very little information about dogs who were born blind... so I don't know how this puppy is suppose to behave (even though I know they are all different, I wish I had an idea)

Anyways, I took Oreo and Samson to the Vet yesterday. Oreo is about 4 months and he needed his rabies shot. Samson was getting his third set of shots.... the Vet was horrible. In fact, last time when I took Oreo, he looked at his little paws and said he might have some type of bone problems because his paws looked crooked! I ignored him and forgot all about it - but this time with Samson he really got me angry! He took one look at Samson - one look! He did not even ask me to put him on the floor and let him walk, he did not ask me how long we've had him, he did not ask me if I've seen improvement in his balance, he did not ask ANYTHING! He just took one look at Samson and said he might have water in the brain!

Can you imagine that???!!! Where does he get that from, with out even really asking about Samson's behavior. I told him that Samson was bad with his balance when we first got him, but that since then he has improved almost 95%! Yes, once in a while he still tips to the side, but most of the time he doesn't fall at all. He can even run and jump!

Once I told him that - he said, that maybe it was not water in the brain, but that we needed to keep an eye on him because he was not sure about Samson's head - that it has a bump in the front.
Now, I've seen this "bump" and it just looks to me as if it's just the way his head is shaped. The bump in itself has not gotten bigger. All of Samson has gotten bigger. He now weights 1.13lb - he's gain more wait and he has more fat around his bones, he's looking great. But he said we needed to keep an eye on him because he might start having seizures and die if we don't treat him!!!!!
I know Vets are suppose to examine, but all this guy was doing was pronouncing doom...
He did grab Samson and looked him all over, but he did not once had him walk to see how Samson got around.

Then I made the mistake of asking him about Samson's belly button (it looks to me like an outty).
Why, oh, why did I ask?The Vet said that he has an umbilical hernia and that it is hereditary (at which point he rolled his eyes) and that we had to keep an eye on it because it could also kill him - but I'm not kidding this is what he said next:
"I wouldn't worry about it because he has so much other (bad) things going on for him, like being blind, that this seems insignificant."

Does anyone out there have a dog who was born with eyes? Can anyone tell me if his balance problem is normal? I will be taking him to a new Vet, there is no way in the world that I will take him back to this man again!

But please, I welcome any comments, suggestions, advise or words of encouragement.... right now I need them all! Thank for reading this long post.
Esther
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Bad Vet Experience

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

There are good vets, bad vets and GREAT vets. I just switched hospitals after more than five years at my last one. They were fine until we stepped into uncharted waters and I had to do all my own research, which they were not willing to explore with me. My 'new' hospital is staffed by docs I know, admire, and they have HUGE compassion. They have also asked me to teach them everything I taught my last hospital about the lethal white. I love that. They want to step into the realm of a dog who is generally PTS.
First of all, ask folks who their vets are, who they like, who they don't like, and google yours. There are local websites which allow 'customers' to post reviews.
You don't like your doc, so that's your first step, finding one who will explore issues with you,hand in hand.
The wobbling of a young pup could be caused by so many things. You say Chipup was born with no eyeballs? Anopthalmia. This is not a cause for wobbling in a pup who has developed balance. A 5 week old pup, for instance, hasn't developed the running skill, barely the walking without tripping skill. A blindpup will take longer than a sighted one to develop their balance skills, but they do develop them. I have blind pup who SAILS up and down stair cases turning on a dime, racin through an obstacle course to the back yard, chasing a cat and never faulting. She also tested high for agility. Blindness is not associated with lack of balance by itself, and anopthalmia by itself doesn't either. There may be something going on in the ears, or indeed something in the brain. You are right to be concerned, and if there is something in the 'balance' center, it begs to be explored and diagnosed. As for bone malformations, that too would need a diagnosis.
Seems to me you need a doc would is actually willing to diagnose something.

Ask around, blog on your local newspaper blogs and ask folks who they recommend. You will get so much feedback that will benefit you locally.
WELCOME!
Edited to add: Please read the stickies in this forum. They will be immensely helpful to you in your new world of the blindpup!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
BethWeeble's:o~mom

Post by BethWeeble's:o~mom »

I hope you can find a vet you are comfortable with. I have known my vet all of my life. Alot of times we disagree, & I'll tell him so. He will keep trying. When he knows there is no other option & knows that I know this, he has ALOT compassion when he talks to me about what is going on.
Good luck & let us know.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Don't be afraid to look for a new vet.

Do a telephone Interview of the staff at the new vet hospital and ask them:

(1) Do your vets care for any paralyzed, blind, deaf, or handicapped pets?

(2) What is your thinking about paralyzed, blind, deaf, or handicapped pets?

We don't share the negative feelings that your first vet expressed. Glad you found us.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It sounds like your vet was pretty negative. That's a shame. Perhaps he has seen too many pets in his practice that have problems due to poor breeding (backyard breeders or puppy mills) and he is fed up, but whatever the reason for his attitude, it was not helpful to you. :shock:

Some chihuahuas are born with hydrocephalus, which is water on the brain. OK, that's true. It is one of the problems they can have. That doesn't mean your dog has it. Hydrocephalus is more common in chihuahuas that have the little rounded forehead (apple-headed chihuahuas). A well rounded forehead is desirable in the breed. But there are lots of chihuahuas with rounded foreheads that do not have hydrocephalus. :) I am glad his balance is improving. They can use an MRI or ultrasound to help diagnose hydrocephalus. If he has it, I can tell you will give him the best of care. :angel:

http://www.dfwvetsurgeons.com/t-hydrocephalus.html
http://addy.com/hicc/molera.html

You said he mentioned the possibility of seizures. Well, OK. :) That is a problem that can occur with water on the brain. But it can also occur in any chihuahua puppy if the blood sugar gets low. :( Chihuahua puppies are so tiny that they cannot eat very much in one meal because of their size. They can get low blood sugar if they burn up all their calories, so they need to eat lots of little meals all day long. Since you have had other chihuahuas you probably already know that.

If he has an umbilical hernia, that means there is a little hole in the wall of muscle that holds the intestines inside the abdomen. If the intestines poke out thorugh the hole, they can get "strangulated" which is kind of like being kinked up and food cannot go through. So it is a good idea to watch that. I had a senior dachshund who had an umbilical hernia and she had to have surgery and then she was fine. Now that you know about it, you know what to watch out for. :)

There are probably other vets in your area who are knowledgeable and have a more positive attitude, maybe you should search for one you will like better. Maybe you could ask a reputable local chihuahua breeder what vet they recommend. I am sorry your vet visit was so negative. I think it was informative, but perhaps another vet could also be informative in a more positive way. You need to be able to work with your vet.

I am so glad you adopted this little puppy with no eyes. I can tell you love him so much already. I looked at his blog (it is super!!) and i love the pictures. He will have the best of care. I would suggest a harness rather than a collor, it just seems safer for a handicapped pet...? You don't know what he might snag a collar on since he can't see. I really prefer harnesses to collars for all dogs, but especially handicapped dogs.

Here is a photo of my chihuahua. Her coloring is similar to Sampson's only in reverse. :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12778

:gang:
puppymakes8

Post by puppymakes8 »

Thank you so much for your reply. It really helps to hear encouraging words. I was so discouraged after our vet visit, but I've been getting good advise and kind wishes. I will find another Vet and will continue to wish the best for Samson. I looked at your Chihuahua photo and she is adorable. Once again, thank you.
Esther :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

She is 13-14 years old. She has been paralyzed for 5 years and also had mammary cancer. She is a happy, wonderful little person. Your little dog shows so much determination and interest in the world and happiness, I think he is already having a good life. :angel:
puppymakes8

Post by puppymakes8 »

Samson is almost 5 months old and his balance has improve greatly. He is not 100%, but we have certainly seen him get better. He is even learning to go up and down the steps! We met a new Vet and we posted our experience in Samson's blog http://www.blindpup.com/2009/01/bad-vet-experience.html
As good as this Vet is, he still did not give me a diagnosis for Samson. He said that Samson's quality of life was good and that was all that matter. I want to keep on training Samson and watch him grow without the challenge of tests and more Vet visits. As long as Samson continues to grow and enjoy living, I don't want the Vets probing him. I agree with the Vet that maybe Samson has an underdeveloped brain, but is compensation well. I would love to hear any suggestions or comments. This little puppy seems healthy in every way if it wasn't for the occasional balance problem he has - which is now only limited to uneven ground like the back yard or when he bumps into something he was not expecting.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I wonder if he has a touch of cerebellar hypoplasia (cerebral palsy)?
puppymakes8

Post by puppymakes8 »

Wow! I had never given it a thought. As hard as it is for me, I'm starting to admit there is something wrong with his brain. His balance is so much better, but in two weeks he'll be 5 months old and I was hoping that by now his balance problem would be completely gone. It breaks my heart to see him go potty out and have such a hard time keeping his balance when he squats - more so when he is having a bw.
Where can I find about this issue concerning dogs? I'll try to do some research but I will probably find explanations about humans not dogs.
Thanks for your help.
puppymakes8

Post by puppymakes8 »

I have created a video to showcase Samson and to educate people about this deserving pets. I have learned many animals with disabilities are put to sleep because people don't think they can have happy lives. Please share this video with your local animal shelter, humane society and or local animal rescue. Maybe they can use this video to encourage adoption and bring awareness of the happy lives these animals can live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyRTTu7NuoM

Esther with Samson
http://www.blindpup.com