Newly Blind

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
MeganR

Newly Blind

Post by MeganR »

So here it is,
I have a three year old chihuahua shih-tzu which was diagnosed with Optic Neuritis yesterday, she is completley blind, but the vet says he's optimistic about her getting her site back in her right eye, not so much the left. She's been prescribed Prednisone, and we have a follow up checkup in a week with the vet
I am trying my best not to baby her, but she was always babied before she has gotten this, so its a bit more difficult.. she is very timid.
I've been reading on support sites that you have to try not let them sense that your sad/upset, but for obvious reasons this is extremely difficult for me to do, since i considered my dog as my child.

I have a few general questions for anyone who has had a simliar experience

1) How did you stay positive/hide your true feelings around your pet?
2) What was the outcome after diagnosed?
3)How did you not baby them?
4)If prednisone was prescribed, how did it work?
5) If the condition was cured, did it come back?

These are just a few questions, our whole family is really heartbroken at this point.. and just hoping for some help

Thank you
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Newly Blind

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Megan, I remember when I first stepped into the blind world, there was so much human sadness. The one thing you MUST keep in mind is your baby picks up her cues from you. Either she is FINE or there is something very wrong going on. Did you read the stickies in this forum? The blind one would be most helpful for you, including the tip to baby gate all stairs until she masters them. My blinds race upa nd down the stairs after they mapped them. The one thing that is universal is that WE, the caretakers, take this a WHOLE lot harder than our pups do! Your girl has had sight, so the vision memory will be extremely helpful. I have two that were born blind and they have no memories to guide them, but they SAIL through life. They RACE through life. My blind only tested HIGH for agility! Your girl will bump into something map it and move on.

1) How did you stay positive/hide your true feelings around your pet? First of all bell yourself, put her on short lead, ring bell as you gently draw her to you. SILLY JOY when she gets to you. Bell ringing means HAPPY JOY AND A TREAT!

2) What was the outcome after diagnosed? There are a variety of causes for blindness, and some are temporary. Did doc tell you the cause of her neuritis? Some might be but turn out not to be. Be prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.

3)How did you not baby them? You are so busy teaching them their new skills, that this is a productive, LEARNING time for them. You can baby them, but don't keep them from their world. The protective measures you read about in the stickie will allow them the freedom to move about in ntheir 'new normal'

4)If prednisone was prescribed, how did it work? If it reduced the swelling on the optic nerve, that may allow the vision message to get to the brain.

5) If the condition was cured, did it come back? I don't know that we have had a case like this? Hopefully someone will weigh in. I searched this forum because I thought I had read something, but nothing came up. There have been cases of blindness following general anesthesia. I don't know the reason why, but in many cases the sight came back
From Merck:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 160610.htm

Optic Neuritis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optic neuritis may be divided into papillitis (an inflamed optic nerve head visible with an ophthalmoscope) and retrobulbar optic neuritis, which includes mydriasis, absence of pupillary reflexes, and blindness without any ophthalmoscopic abnormalities. Flash electroretinography, combined with vision evoked potentials, and fluorescein angiography may be used to confirm optic neuritis. A CBC, blood chemistry profile, neurologic examination, radiology, and vitreous and CSF analyses may be indicated.
Papillitis is common in granulomatous meningoencephalitis in dogs; systemic viral, bacterial, and fungal infections in dogs, cats, horses, and cattle; and trauma. It appears as a swollen optic nerve head with blurred margins, variable hemorrhages, and exudates. Peripapillary retinitis is often present and appears as a translucent to opaque retina adjacent to the optic disk. Therapy is directed at the underlying systemic disease. Systemic corticosteroids may be used for the optic neuritis. A positive response includes return of the pupillary reflexes and normal pupil size in several days, followed by vision a few days later.
:welcomepigs:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: I have the same view of disabled critters as I do of disabled humans--just deal with it, don't worry about it, and what will come will come. She'll be fine, blind or not; critters don't worry about it and just adapt as necessary. Sometimes they even adapt too well and become incredibly stubborn about things that are for their own good. :lol: Your baby is just a baby and will have a long, healthy life ahead of her--regardless of her vision status.
MeganR

Post by MeganR »

Thank you very much!!