welcome Tiresias, our little blind foster

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

welcome Tiresias, our little blind foster

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Tiresias is named after a figure in greek mythos, a blind prophet who lived for seven generations.

Our Tiresias has lost his eyes to herpes virus and is a mere six weeks old, he was found about a week ago and dropped off at a vet clinic, which contacted Marleys Cat Tales, and they contacted mom. Mom said how bout they take this one litter of healthy kittens and she take the lil blind guy. they said sure.

One of his eyes still looks rather scary. the rescue vet said that the remainder of the eye would dry up and retract (one has begun to do this already). He is on terramycin and clavamox to prevent secondary infection.
he is a lovable lil guy, a classic tabby with white feet and a very round white belly.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: welcome Tiresias, our little blind foster

Post by Bendy Kitty »

HE CAN SEE!!!!!
In spite of his eye being hugely swollen and scary looking, he can SEE!
he hunts flies
he repsonds to movement.
he has no depth perception and swats randomly at things until he finally hits them, it is quite amusing.

we hope his poor eye heals soon, it looks painful but he is a happyhappy little guy. he plays and plays and plays and plays. he gets along with all the other cats and the dog. he loves to play with toes. He likes to get in empty food dishes and hunker down and pounce from there. He acts like a normal silly kitten.
Attachments
TierseasIceDreamNoses.jpg
TierseasBowl.jpg

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

What a cutie!! :hearts: Spunk, my blind punk, can see some light/dark and movement. Her eyes were even worse when she was that age, and the left one ruptured twice! He'll be OK, regardless!

PS--I'm glad you said where his name came from; that's a new one, not even mentioned in Percy Jackson!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

If only they could stay that size. How cute! :D
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

critters wrote:What a cutie!! :hearts: Spunk, my blind punk, can see some light/dark and movement. Her eyes were even worse when she was that age, and the left one ruptured twice! He'll be OK, regardless!
his eye ruptured once before he came to us
and once shortly after, mom was putting meds in it and it spewed all over her. yuk!

bendy

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

His left one blew? Have you considered Third Eyelid Flap until the R one loses the swelling?
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Poor little guy has come down with limping calici. he threw a fever for teh past few days but i has finally broken. He did not like getting SQ fluids, and decorated his cage and mom with them on the first attempt. He hurt so much he woudl cry whenever touched. Mom diluted down some bute and gave him a teeny bit to make him feel better, which made a huge difference. Today he is much improved, moving around a little, not blazing hot tho his ear are a little warm, he is also on kitty aspirin to control teh fever. we hate to think what the fever woudl have done without it! he is eating, and has not developed any mouth ulcers so that is good.

Critters, he can actually close that eye even as huge as it is. Mom did get some lubricating eye drops just in case but we don't think he needs surgery for it.

Hopefully he will soon be zooming around!

bendy

Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Need soem advice, Critters!

the giant eye has gone down a little BUT the other eye is swelling, I took a pict taht shows it fairly well.

he is on amoxi.
he gets terramycin 3x a day and also artificial tears.

the left eye has some irritation (looks better now than it did in pict), he paws at his face sometimes because the eye itches, i think.
Attachments
TierseasOtherEye.jpg

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oooooo, those eyes SCARE me!! I'd HAVE to do a TEF until things settle out. His L one looks like Spunk's. Her face pic was here http://www.handicappedpets.net/viewtopic.php?t=5679 , but it's missing. :? Sigh. It looks like he's scratched a bloody spot on his L eyelid, so I'd also whack his claws. GREAT pic, BTW, for showing what you wanted to show!
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

the lboody spot has healed up, but i trimeed his claws anyway.
the big eye is less irritated looking now, with all the eyedrops & terramycin i've been doing.

I htought you said Spunk's eyes looked worse than this?

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Her left one, today, looks very much like his left one. At this point, you know, hers are just scarred; the ruptures and all are some years past. When she was a baby, her L one looked something like his R one looks now, and it ruptured twice. Spunk even has a bit of vision in her R eye, which nobody can believe!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:thankyou: I'll save this one in the PP instead :!: :trophy:
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

His huge eye has shrunk down to normal eye size! He can definitly see, even though his eye is very very cloudy and kind of gooey. The lid all around it underneath is still swollen a little and irritated so he is still gtting terramycin and eyedrops. he is a wonderful little love!

this is what his eye looked like on teh 12th. it is better now.
Attachments
TirseasEye081209.jpg

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm glad it's better; that big eye scares me from here! :shock: